Nestle Cast Iron Pediment

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Nestle Cast Iron Pediment

Post by badpenny »

Those of you who have attended the Coventry Auction over the last few years may remember the above.

A very heavy lump of cast iron broken off the top of one of these ………
chocolate machine.jpg

As the pediment has a large jagged edge where it snapped off, I imagine the whole machine must have toppled over at some point. It must have caused much wailing of teeth and gnashing of hair, as well as making a loud noise.

It first sold around three years ago, and then appeared on eBay for several weeks. Anyway, it turned up again back at Coventry last November. So in a moment of typical weak minded judgement I thought to myself "That's alright as it happens, I can see me carrying that around with me for years from place to place, never doing anything with it." So of course I bought it.
Those of you who know me really well, will know I experienced an awful Christmas just recently and actually spent the festive season mourning my nearly 19 year old dog and finding out what it's like to be without a home (luckily an old friend came to my help) However with nothing to amuse myself with I turned out my pockets and decided to even off the broken edge.
I thought at first I'd melt some iron to fill the jagged edge with. Of course that wouldn't have worked because once I'd melted some iron at 1,538°C pouring it onto the bottom of the sign would have course been a high enough temperature to have melted the rest of the casting.
That would have caused the lettering to float around and instead of saying .....

Nestle milk chocolate
I might have ended up instead with
Ashlin clock omelette or even worse ...... Acetic knothole smell which of course would never do.

I needed something I could more easily melt and that wouldn't damage the sign. Then I realised the cast ironic solution I'd use Nestle Milk Chocolate!!

thumbnail_WP_20190226_11_55_40_Pro[1].jpg

BP !SHOOT! The Milky Bars are on me.
gameswat

Re: Nestle Cast Iron Pediment

Post by gameswat »

I'm confused, I've never seen that model in anything but cast alloy!? And the marquee you show below is different and from an earlier cast iron machine. Is this some kind of test or weird puzzle??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The first photo I put is of the cast aluminium version. I couldn't find a cast iron variety on the net, which is earlier and had the word "Milk" also.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

There are some iron floor-standers with that top casting here: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors. Yours is the wider, twin vendor top.

I take it you did the sensible thing and recast it all in chocolate, then wrapped it in red foil for consumption at a later date?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Natch !!!! … being diabetic it was the only thing to do.