Bally Gay Cruise running on unusual coin

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
cheeky

Re: Bally Gay Cruise running on unusual coin

Post by cheeky »

Yes. That’s the one. “County Fair”. 👍
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The only County Fair I could find was a 1959 Bally Bingo pinball. Any pictures?
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

No photos from me. It only took me about 10 years to find the Walton one. I’ll keep hunting. It would be good to set up a Bally Bandit list of U.K. machines. I reckon there would be quite a few we haven’t heard of and of course the many conversions.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Is there a Bally enthusiast in the house?
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

I was shocked that when they decimalised, since they had a 1/2 p coin, why they couldn't have also had a 2 1/2 p coin, thus avoiding the need to demonetize the popular 6 d denomination, to which it would have been equivalent.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

quadibloc wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 pm I was shocked that when they decimalised, since they had a 1/2 p coin, why they couldn't have also had a 2 1/2 p coin, thus avoiding the need to demonetize the popular 6 d denomination, to which it would have been equivalent.
The sixpence didn’t disappear in 1971, the year of decimalisation, but became the 2.5p coin until 1980, when it was discontinued. In fact many slot machine operators produced tokens, sixpence size, named 2.5p. It could not have a long future as the half penny went anyway and the 2p was too close to it.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Supposedly, but I have no idea if true?

"Successive prime ministers and governments didn't want to be associated with the killing off of the nation's favourite lucky sixpence coin."

So stayed in circulation till Maggie Thatcher was briefed if she killed the tanner off, then the treasury stood to gain millions in melting them down... So alas, sixpence fate went the same way as the miners...

Here's a picture of one of my machines. Coin entry has options for sixpence (6d), as well as 5np & 10np.

A lot of machines had coin entry plates that were embossed with 5np and or 10np, but the majority of those also had 1 and 2 shilling embossed next to decimal options to help us through decimalisation.

However, this is the only one I've seen with not only decimalisation for the new 5p and 10p coins but also including sixpence as 6d & not as 2.5p. Sixpences were still used in parking meters till close to demise?
Attachments
20200419_093043a.jpg
ballymad

Post by ballymad »

brigham wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:29 am Is there a Bally enthusiast in the house?
I love Ballys and Bally only. I have a County Fair somewhere.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Perhaps a Bally thread could be started.
I like the Phonographic 'Gold Award' conversions, but I also have a couple of Blue Stars, a Greaves 'Showman', a RIO and a couple of others.
'Sir Prize' and 'Bullseye' are on my want list.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

brigham wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:03 am Perhaps a Bally thread could be started.
I like the Phonographic 'Gold Award' conversions, but I also have a couple of Blue Stars, a Greaves 'Showman', a RIO and a couple of others.
'Sir Prize' and 'Bullseye' are on my want list.
Like the idea Brigham but creating the thread is way beyond my pay grade. !SMARTY!