Time to ........

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Time to ........

Post by badpenny »

Sadly I am aware that this particular player has done much more in his life to warrant being chastised than merely tilting a machine.
It has been suggested on more than one occasion that having changed his address 34 times since 1954 plays a major part in his continuing to stay at large!

BP ;-)
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Nice machine badpenny, you are a busy man. First all the work on the machine and after that you did the laundry and when the laundry is drying you play the machine! Is this what they call multitasking? !!ESCAPE!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very nice BP, yellow and blue goes so well together. The yellow background inside seems so intense now, was that just cleaned or painted... !!THUMBSX2!!

I do recall playing JC’s machine in Brighton on my second visit, totally missed on the first trip which is odd as it was near the front...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks TF
The inside of the frame is the only bare wood (and the back of the playfield) on show.
So I stripped and repainted it to match.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Nice game, BP. Thank you for showing us. !THUMBS!
Some impressively nimble finger-work there too, but that last obstacle's a bugger. :x
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Always liked these, first time I've seen one in action. Great restoration.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

What a fantastic looking machine! Love the amount of action going on and I think I can hear a bell as well!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Love the game play on these machines, well BP nice restoration
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They did have an electric bell fitted originally.
Due to the original design including a battery to operate the two solenoids plus bell, to save battery the bell was often disconnected or even removed.
This one has an electric power unit fitted, so I could have refitted a 12v dc bell, but I've had an old shop door bell on the end of a coiled spring, that I'd been keeping for such an occasion. So that's attached to the solenoid that progresses the score dial. Consequently every time you score a ball the dial advances one number to the gentle tinkle of a bell.

BP
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Friends, this is what creative genius at large looks like. !!THUMBSX2!!

J Peterson
USA fan of BP
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

"Why thank you kind sir" Blushed the fair maiden coquettishly :woops:
JC

Post by JC »

Very nice job BP - Slick is a great machine and definitely worth spending time on restoration. We spoke recently on the dog and wotsit, so the colour scheme comes as no surprise - looks good.
I note on the before picture that the instructions appear to be missing (not uncommon with these machines) but are present on the after picture. Just wondered if you acquired from Stuart-o-Lot, as I recall sending him a picture of my machine a few years ago so that he could copy. How is the old boy? We don't hear from him these days.

Also:
They did have an electric bell fitted originally.
Not sure that is actually true (can't be sure, as my machine is locked away down at Brighton, so can't check at present). I'm pretty sure the bell is sounded by mechanical action as the solenoid advances the score indicator.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Aha! My flabber is gasted.
I found a piccy on line that sported a bell, it wasn't easy to define what form of sorcery was enticing it. I've since printed it off, soaked it in Soy Sauce then by screwing up my eye muscles and peering at it through a cracked mirror I have to concede youth wins again! Don't worry, you will be my age one day! Curiously I chose the same method.
As for the instruction roundel, I had remembered that Uncle Stuart (spinster of this parish and ventriloquist to The Royal Institute for The Deaf, available for Bar Mitzvah bookings free of charge if the tips are good) had indeed borrowed yours while doing the same to the contents of your wallet.
However that's not what I did, that would have been far too sensible. The same set of piccies on line showed the front, so by screwing up my eye muscles ...... you can guess the rest.
The old lad is keeping well, he seems to be playing Monopoly for real with the housing market in Sowerby, and is well on his way to his second million. I fully intend to pop over and see him when his case comes up, I promised to give him a character reference. It's the least I can do.
Some friend I am eh? He's in court and all I'm prepared to offer him "is the least I can do?
What a jerk!

BP !THUMBS!
JC

Post by JC »

I promised to give him a character reference.
Bloody hell :shock: does he know?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

He did fight the idea, but in the end I wore him down with old fashioned charm and a number 4 coal shovel.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've popped the Slick in the Museum. !THUMBS!