Mechanical Memories Auction 2009

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
arrgee

Re: Coventry Auction - 29 November 2009

Post by arrgee »

Just like to thank Jerry and Jeremy and all the other behind the scenes people for the work that goes into organising an event such as this. I think the numbers there indicate that the slot world is perhaps in a better way than many think. Lets not forget that if it were not for these guys, our hobby would be very much fragmented.

Well done Jerry and Co for a very good event, even though I came away with nothing! :( - some of the hammer prices were higher than I anticipated!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks everyone for our best ever yet!
Although I have the shortest journey of anyone (2 miles - just round the corner) I've only just surfaced and have still to get my thoughts together.
I'll do a "porter's report" and post it on here as soon as I can.
Hope you all got home safely with your new treasures.

Badpenny
JC

Post by JC »

Although I have the shortest journey of anyone (2 miles - just round the corner)

Ah, so that's why we hold these events in Coventry. Somehow, I think I may have pulled the short straw! Unlike BP, I don't live round the corner, and have only just got home (well alright, a few hours ago).

Anyway, a great day, and as we always say, it's YOUR day and your support makes it what it is.

I'll leave BP to do the long report...............I.m going back to bed.

Jerry :zzz:
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Would've liked to have come, but had to be at work at 20.00 and didn't know what time I would get away if I'd bought something.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The Porter’s Report – Coventry 2009

Every year we say how pleased we were with the auction, and this year is no exception. Everybody pulled together and helped with putting up the tables, organising the table layout plans, checking admission by catalogue, security on leaving and putting the tables away at the end. There’s a lot to do and I apologise if you mucked in and I didn’t notice.

With our largest auction to date and the highest number of registered buyers we were very grateful to have two professional auctioneers steering us through the day’s main event. The pace was striding and proved to Jerry and I the value of letting professionals do what they do best.
The machines entered this year were an impressive collection nearly 300 lots with over 40 bandits this time, bargains to be had for all tastes and pockets.

On a personal note I dread the year that Mrs Hooper says that Dave can’t come out to play, I portered the two Sarratt auctions alone and the thought of tackling something like yesterday’s auction solo is daunting to say the least. Even the allwins are getting heavier each year and just pointing at a bandit makes the knees tremble. It’s astonishing that in a room of 150 sprightly people you elect two old doddery wrecks to hoist hundreds of pounds worth of treasures shoulder high, spin them round then lower them again. Fascinatingly every year we experience people who insist on squeezing past us in mid pirouette or better still go on tip toe to fiddle with the current lot and all while it’s on the move and five feet off the ground!

Bidding was brisk and prices were buoyant if this is an indication for the future then that’s encouraging. What was also good to see was that we had several new faces present, new blood’s always welcome.

At the end of each auction Jerry, Doff and I have to sort out the ton and a half of paperwork before clearing the room and departing for another year. Every time we find abandoned pennies, tanners, tokens etc. to clear up. On occasions we have even bits of lots left behind where someone has bought a bag of spares taken out the bit they want then dumped the bits they don’t. This year however will take some beating for sitting on the floor were four machines patiently waiting to go to their new homes!!!! I thought Jerry had bought them and he had assumed they were my purchases.
What ..... How ..... Why ....... !

One of them was just a door with limited interest to anyone but the most hardened enthusiast our records showed there had been some confusion at the time of its being offered.

The second machine was a very nice Bryans’ Clock, the sort of model that you often stumble across abandoned all the time. There it sat in the middle of the room all on its own. Again we challenged the system and discovered that although it had failed to reach its reserve there had been a conversation with the owner about dropping it. Consequently on one page it showed both unsold and that it had a buyer, we in turn had paid the vendor (so he was happy) but had failed to pursue the hapless buyer. As a result The Company now owns a Bryans Clock! At least we have the first machine for next year’s auction, and very nice too!

The biggest surprise however were the two bandits sitting together round the side by the stage, we looked at them they looked back at us. What the hell?
They were very nice entry level machines, clean and well looked after so what was the story? I wish I knew, because we don’t. So far as our records show they failed to reach reserve and the world moved on. So why were they left to their own devices in Coventry? We didn’t know. We couldn’t leave them there so Jerry and I started to argue over who should take them.
“You take them”
“No, you take them”

Finally we agreed he should take custody of The Clock and I would provide a roof for the two orphaned bandits until their owner suddenly realised that they had neither the money nor their machines. How does somebody struggle to transport two very heavy (as I soon found out) machines all the way to Coventry, see them fail to reach reserve then forget to take them home again?
Anyway Doff and I struggled to get them in the back of her Astra, then in the rain at the other end we manhandled them up the path and into the house. They currently reside in my front room where I can assure you they are not going to live for long. It takes a lot of advance planning permission to get one of my own machines into the inner sanctum I know for sure that somebody else’s don’t stand a chance of staying there.

A strange ending to a memorable day, I’ll let you all know how this ends I might even breed from them to pay for their board.
Don’t forget to treat yourself to next year’s auction we already have a very nice Bryans’ Clock to kick it off.

We'll get the prices etc on the Arena when Jerry digs them out.

Jeremy & Doff
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

What a wonderful report, BP! We could certainly use your talent over here, juicing up the scripts of the dreck Hollywood forces us to watch on nightly TV. And CONGRATULATIONS to you, Jerry, Doff, and the merry horde of collectors who attended and made this years event a success. Just for the record, I will not be flying across the Atlantic to apply boot leather to certain backsides as previously threatened. Instead, I am hoisting a pint in honor and admiration of all of you. Well done, mates!! :D

Your envious American Admirer
John Peterson
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

yes it was the cowman who lost bidders card at the start:dammit: any way what a great day!!!! just one point its a pitty that there wasn't a half way bit where people could pay in like there use to be, if some one buys a machine say lot 50 and spent up he has to sit there to see another 200 odd lots to be sold and the queue at the end wouldn't be as big to pay in.i think the showmen in the corner by the bar kept prices high on some items having saying that i dont think we will see many machines on ebay they sold at thier price, I came away with one machine very pleased apart from the the sticky auction number was covering a bad mark on the wood,lesson leant there when you inspect a machine before the auction and the sticker is on the wood look under it!!! anyway enough of that the day was great .congratulations to all who made this happen roll on the next :*** did mr b.p.buy much??
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Mr BP bought nothing ...................... he doesn't need to he just picks them up off the floor at the end for nothing!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

jimmycowman wrote: just one point its a pitty that there wasn't a half way bit where people could pay in like there use to be, if some one buys a machine say lot 50 and spent up he has to sit there to see another 200 odd lots to be sold and the queue at the end wouldn't be as big to pay in.
I strongly agree with this opinion.

The reason I ended up not bidding for anything is because I couldn't face the prospect of staying behind and queuing for God knows how long after the end of the auction.

Not only does this policy mean that buyers can't get away when they want, it also means that there's a horrendous queue of 200+ people at the end of the auction, and a lot of people at the end are just taking up space in the room and have no interest in the lots being auctioned.

I would have thought that it would be better for everybody all round if people could pay for their lots and go home when they wanted, get them out the way of the bidders, and significantly reduce the queue at the end.

I must admit that when I saw the queue at the end of the auction, I thought to myself: "Thank God I didn't buy anything"! :eek:

Anything which discourages people to bid is a bad thing. I don't know what the difficulty is in allowing bidders to pay after they have finished bidding, but it can't be too hard because it's always been done before. I think you should give this matter some serious consideration for next year.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's the lesser of two evils really, in order to be able to pay out the vendors on the day we need to get the money in first. As it was, and despite it all being explained in the conditions of sale in the catalogue and clearly spelt out by Jerry before the auction we still had two numpties who couldn't pay their tab because they were relying on their lots selling.

As for the break in the middle we decided not to do it due to the large number of lots (nearly 300) the decision to soldier on and not finish late meant we ended at a nice early finish.
I guess not everybody comes for the social experience and a chance to catch up with faces they haven't seen for a year, they merely want to look, buy and go. The other side of that coin is that by the time Jerry and I go which is usually an hour and a half after the last payout we usually still have up to a couple of dozen people standing around chewing the cud, who literally have to be forced out of the door. :D
JC

Post by JC »

We can't please all of the people all of the time, but I do think we please most of the people most of the time. Putting aside the practicallities of paying in early, I really don't believe the majority want to have their enjoyment spoiled by one-armed bandits being wheeled out on sack barrows half way through the auction.

Was it really such a long day for everyone? I doubt there were many who had to stumble out of bed before me (4.30 am), and I doubt there were many who got home after me (about 10.00 pm). As BP says above, one of our problems at the end of the day is actually getting rid of people! We did accept early payment from a few buyers last year (which I vowed I would not be doing this time, as it was very disruptive), one of whom then proceeded to prop up the bar for the rest of the day! :dammit:

I guess we'll never please everyone, but unless the number of lots in future years increases dramatically (which I don't want to see happen :shock: ), then I think the system is likely to stay as it is.
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

JC wrote: I really don't believe the majority want to have their enjoyment spoiled by one-armed bandits being wheeled out on sack barrows half way through the auction.
On the contrary, it provides an interesting diversion, and makes extra space on the tables for sitting on. :D
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

On the contrary, it provides an interesting diversion, and makes extra space on the tables for sitting on
I would disagree with this, it would be a nightmare if people were shoving past you trying to shuffle machines past your legs while your trying to just get that bid in. Space is tight as it is and would distract form the overall atmosphere. In any case what would we have to lean on :-?

Auctions should be fun and perhaps people should relax more and make a day of it. The only way you could do this would be to have an oversized auction room to cater for the movement.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Given the size of the venue, which I think is just right, and the number of people involved in running the event, the only way that early paying in and collecting machines before the end of the auction could work, would be I suspect, by Jerry employing two more people. One to take the money and more importantly one to man the door and check the lots out. This would undoubtedly add to the costs and therefore an increase in the commission %, catalogue price, lot entry fees etc. The 6% commission is actually incredibly low at present compared to most auction houses and especially Sothebys and Christies who used to sell slots, and by the time their % was added plus VAT it made a huge difference to the price.
As it is Jerry was helped by a few volunteers, especially Kevin on the door.
I think as it is run by and organised by and promoted by the two J`s we should respect their rules and if you don`t agree then don`t go.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It would take more than two extra as a duplicate computer on a local network to the main one would have to be rigged up to run in tandem.
It ain't going to happen so enjoy your day out and make the most of your loved ones allowing you a whole 6 hours dedicated to your hobby. :D
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

I want to look at the prices, but I can't get into the Arena. I sent me £2 off ages ago, but my password doesn't seen to work, any ideas?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've emailed you a Password reminder. I'm guessing it may be different from the one you use regularly on the Forum.
If you want me to change it to match, please email me your Forum Password (I don't have access to it).
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

OK I've had this fantastic idea - you'll love this. :D

We've all got bidder numbers, right? When somebody has finished bidding, he hands his bidder number in. This automatically prevents him from bidding on any more lots.

These numbers are all stacked up in the order in which they were handed in. At the end of the auction, these numbers are called out to determine the order of payment. (Anybody who misses their call just gets put to the end.)

So, the people who finish bidding early, get to pay first, and nobody has to stand around in a queue for hours at the end. They can sit down in comfort, go outside, talk to their friends, go to the bog, sit at the bar, etc. as long as they are in the room when their number is called.

I'm a genius. :cool:
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Well, firstly, that may start to deter some people from holding on to their bidding slips and bidding on later items...not in the interests of the sellers or the auctioneers. Secondly, I can just see a mass of bidders who have handed in their bidding slips congragating around the auctioneers platform...and you've guessed it, the next bidding slip number number they call out belongs to a guy at the back who takes a minute or two to get to the front...or doesn't hear and then there is a two minute wait to see if he did hear and is actually pushing his way to the front. Oh, and then there is the person they employ to call out the numbers whilst Jerry and Jeremy are dealing with whoever is actually at their desk paying in. Then, if many of the people who are paying in are sellers and want to wait for their cash, then your proposal only benefits a small group of people. And apart from the stress of running the auction, it just adds another layer to the auction cake.