Ebay, posting outside UK

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
dutchboy

Ebay, posting outside UK

Post by dutchboy »

Can anyone tell me why there are many lots on ebay which do not post outside the UK? I had contact about an item and did get a quote for postage but after that they changed it in no posting to the Netherlands. Also with some sixpences. I almost never use ebay, so I really don’t know.
Greetings.
treefrog

Re: Ebay, posting outside uk

Post by treefrog »

I suspect simple answer is, this happens all over the place. Many US sellers will not ship internationally and same in other locations. People can find it a lot of hassle and you get hit on the total cost for eBay fees including post. So if you charge £2 for U.K. shipping and abroad is £10, there is a big increase in cost. Of course you could build this into the total, which apparently you're not supposed to do.

Lastly, people have had a lot of issues with international locations, eg I have had issues especially from Portugal and probably would not deal there again.
junior

Post by junior »

Hi, I once tried to post a few old pennies to someone in America
I took the envelope to the post office, which was padded and the coins inside were wrapped in tissue. I was asked at the counter about contents, 'old pennies', I replied and was told I couldn't send because America customs would see them on the X-ray scanner and would destroy them. Maybe the same for coins everywhere.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure that is true. I have sold and bought coins from the US... I would declare as collectors coins, not currency.

Of course in Europe at least for the next two weeks, you do not need an export declaration form.... Of course Brexit will change all this, if it ever happens.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Thanks for the answers gentlemen. Bought in the past some things out of the USA without a problem. Only thing is then that our goverment comes with some custom charges including posting, which was a lot more than the price I payed for the lots. :shock: