Coin-A-Cig, Super Selecta & Win-A-Cig

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Coin-A-Cig, Super Selecta & Win-A-Cig

Post by treefrog »

A couple of machines posted this evening, one looks like a Wonders machine without the coin entry, called "Skill" and listed as Ruffler and Walker. I could not see one on the Wonders list, but there is an Eight Cup machine without a picture. !PUZZLED! The cabinet looks Wonders. Also, it appears to be a vendor. Did Wonders do these?
odd5.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDWARDIAN-PENNY-S ... 2c5d52ba5f

The other machine obviously has a replacement backflash and the coin entry looks similar to a Wonders one. The hinges and coin cup are very chunky, which must give away the maker for someone that knows.
odd6.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDWARDIAN-VINTAGE ... 2c5d52b261
13rebel

Re: A couple of unusual allwins

Post by 13rebel »

The black and gold part of the backflash looks like a Brenner, 'Ball Past the Arrow' as this had 'Skill' written in the same way.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

The first one is a Coin-a-Cig, think that's the name. When you won, you had a choice of winning a coin or a cig. There was a switch below the coin slot. This is missing and so is the cig vender. Don't know who made them though.
The second one has the original backflash. I have owned a couple of these and they were the same. They look similar to a Bryans 5 Win. There was speculation they were made by a Bryans ex-employee. Not sure about that...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yep - that "Skill" sign at the top definitely seems to have been spliced from a Brenner Arrow allwin.
JC

Post by JC »

By coincidence, Robert Rowland has written a piece on his Coin-a-Cig. machine, which is due to be published in the next issue of Mechanical Memories Magazine (should be out in a couple of weeks). I’ve seen pictures of a few of these allwins over the years and have always suspected they may be Wonders machines. Unfortunately, I have never seen pictures of the mech. and have never seen a machine ‘in the flesh’. Now that I have seen pictures of Roberts mech., I can confirm that, in my view, they are definitely Wonders – and I suspect very early Wonders, maybe the first ever produced? I guess we’ll never know.
Anyway, more info. in the June issue of MMM.

Here is a picture of the door of Robert’s machine, with the correct Coin-a-Cig. artwork and the selector lever.

Jerry
Attachments
Coin-a-Cig.jpg
batman

Ruffler and Walker Super Selecter

Post by batman »

Topic merged - Site admin

Hi All. I'm new to this forum so hopefully you'll all bear with me if this is posted in the wrong section.
I've just acquired a Ruffler and Walker Allwin on 1d play.
It's in fair condition and unusually has a player selectable payout being able to switch between coin of cigarette.
Unfortunately the selecter lever on the right hand side is missing. (see pic)
I was wondering if any of you know of someone with a complete machine that could provide me with a picture /pattern so that I can produce a new lever.
Thanks in advance. Bruce.
Attachments
Super-Selecta.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Coin-A-Cig & Super Selecta

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Bruce,
and welcome to the forum. I've appended your query to some earlier posts featuring a similar machine. From the picture, it looks a fairly simple part to fabricate, provided the selector mechanism is still in place.
princessflounce

Post by princessflounce »

I thought you might be interested to know that I now own the mystery machine in the opening post. It is, indeed, a Coin-a-Cig and I also believe it's a Wonder, not a Ruffler & Walker. Thankfully the spliced black piece of Brenner Arrow had been placed over the top of the original backpiece, and hadn't replaced it. I assume that when a former owner decided not to offer cigarettes as prizes any more, they wanted to cover up the 'Coinacig' label.

No doubt I will be on here more in the future as our restoration proceeds, but just thought you might be interested to know. Now 'all' I need to do is track down that June 2011 issue of MMM that JC mentions, along with all the parts that some heathen in years past has stripped off the front of our Coin-a-Cig ...
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Congratulations on your acquisition! It should be an interesting project to recreate the missing bits. Please keep us informed of progress.
batman

Post by batman »

I've still not completed the missing parts for my machine, other things have taken a priority !!UHOH!! but I did find this video on YouTube of a Coin-A-Cig that might help you.

princessflounce

Post by princessflounce »

Great stuff, thanks Batman.
coppinpr

Coin-a-Cig Allwin

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I'm sure we have talked about this machine before (at least I think we have) but I can't find much about it. A collector in the USA sent this photo to the www.penny-arcade.info site asking for any info. It really is a nice machine with a selectable payout (fags or 2 coins). Can anyone help? It has a Supplied by Ruffler & Walker plate and one or two bits on the case are the same as other R&W machines, but who made it for them and what date? Can anyone help please. :D
Attachments
coin a cig.jpg
treefrog

Re: Coin-a-Cig Allwin

Post by treefrog »

Posted many years ago, and Wonders if you look at the cabinet furniture.

Now merged above - Site Admin.
coppinpr

Win-a-Cig & OXO Chocolate vendor

Post by coppinpr »

*Topic moved, edited & split from OXO Chocolate vendor - Site Admin.

I've had another inquiry from a guy through my site about a couple of machines and they both* look interesting and unusual.

The first is a "Win a Cig" with unusual artwork and metal sign and the owner would very much like to know the maker and date, please. He thinks Shefras but I disagree. I'm sure the experts will put us both right.

Any and all info gratefully received, and both are nice machines to get a viewing on the forum anyway.
Attachments
win a cig 2.jpg
treefrog

Re: Two more interesting machines id like to know more about please

Post by treefrog »

The Allwin almost has elements of Wonders to it.
john t peterson

Re: Two more interesting machines id like to know more about please

Post by john t peterson »

I'm leaning toward BM Co. on the cig machine. The case and the signage font is consistent with their products.

J Peterson
Smokeless, USA
gameswat

Re: Win-a-Cig & OXO Chocolate vendor

Post by gameswat »

john t peterson wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:21 pm I'm leaning toward BM Co. on the cig machine. The case and the signage font is consistent with their products.
Really JP - I don't see any connection at all!? Most importantly none of the metalwork matches. The artwork is hand drawn by a signwriter and the backflash looks to be likely cutout card, or maybe faded plastic sheet. Some kind of revamp by a small operator I assume. And the cigarettes script on the door looks like it was taken from a smokers box of some kind, there are a series of small marks on it that could be sterling silver hallmarks? I've found a lot of silver and gold recycled this way before it was of much value bullion wise.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Win-a-Cig & OXO Chocolate vendor

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, I think the 'Cigarettes' plate on the cash door was probably scavenged from somewhere, possibly an old vending machine, rather than purpose made.

I've merged this topic with a previous discussion of games which have similar cabinet and hardware features. The consensus at the time was early Wondermatics.
coppinpr

OXO Chocolate vendor

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

In an attempt to learn more about the "Win a Cig". Here is a photo of the insides. Any ideas on the maker now?
Attachments
works.jpeg
john t peterson

Re: Coin-A-Cig, Super Selecta & Win-A-Cig

Post by john t peterson »

In view of the evidence, I defer to the consensus: Wondermatics.

J Peterson
I need a cig, USA