WW1 and WW2 related machines

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
JC

Re: WW1 and WW2 related machines

Post by JC »

Don't be fooled by the chips in the glass, Arrgee. I have a BMCo Digger with chips in a similar position.
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

Woody - Melvyn Wright has posted an original advert for your machine in a topic about B.M.Co automatic allwins, but it looks like the topflash and the case are both different. The machine is called The Flyer, not The Airplane.

Also your case is completely different from the usual B.M.Co cases. I've never seen one of these auto allwins with a cashbox door before. Was this a later case or has somebody put it in a non-standard case? The additional cashbox door at the bottom, and the large topflash makes your machine look huge compared to the standard case. Is this the reason why your machine has fallen over in your photo? :)

As 'Airplane' is a US word (we would say Aeroplane) do you think your machine could have spent some time in America?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually BMCo did make an auto payout allwin with the American sounding name Air Plane, maybe in homage to US forces' lingo. Or maybe we used this term in the early days of flying - like "automobile" hadn't been completely superseded by "car" in the early days of British motoring. Here's a rather poor picture of one I sold many years ago. The case and top on Woody's are not standard BMCo.
Attachments
Airplane.jpg
Airplane.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
woody

Post by woody »

The topflash on mine isn't original. I am 80% sure the case is the correct one though - amazing how many photos etc. of these are coming out of the woodwork. I will be sending Melvyn a decent picture of mine over the weekend.

Cheers,

Woody :D
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

Hi Woody
Here's a picture of my Air Plane

Also a picture of a BMCo eight aircraft cup playfield which fires the ball vertically.

Regards Cliff
Attachments
us 011.JPG
us 058.JPG
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Hi Woody,

Just to let you know, I am recovered from my recent stupor and have written a follow up article to "Khyber Pass." My latest is titled "Band of Brothers." I just submitted it to "Mechanical Memories Magazine." Should Jerry find it satisfactory, you will find it in a future copy of that publication, the only magazine in the UK devoted to what we all love........coin-operated games!

Kind regards,

John Peterson, USA
woody

Post by woody »

Hi John

I very much look forward to reading your latest article and I am sure I will learn lots. I subscribe to the mag and would recommend it to anyone.

All the best

Gary
polaris

Post by polaris »

I have just collected another project machine - first for sometime. It appears similar to the one in this thread, although has unfortunately been messed around with. I wondered if someone could help out with a photograph of the artwork that I can play around with in Photoshop. It would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_5485a.jpg
file.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

There was some conjecture on the previous page (page2) about whether the allwin photos shown below were in fact the same machine due to matching chips in the glass. You just need to look at the woodgrain of the cabinet (left hand door frame especially easy to compare) to see they are definitely one and the same, just like a fingerprint. Pics 1 & 2 from eBay and pic 3 once Woody owned it.
Attachments
BMCo Spitfire.jpg
BMCo Spitfire.jpg (89.05 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
BMCo Spitfire 2.jpg
BMCo Spitfire 2.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
056.JPG
056.JPG (62.49 KiB) Viewed 4864 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

polaris wrote:I wondered if someone could help out with a photograph of the artwork that I can play around with in Photoshop.
Nice find - I like the simple (hand-stamped?) spandrels.
Anyway, here you go.
As you can see, it's all hand-painted, so that may be a better approach than Photoshop.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:You just need to look at the woodgrain of the cabinet (left hand door frame especially easy to compare) to see they are definitely one and the same, just like a fingerprint.
This little BMCo has a rather phoenix like quality appearing in different guises every few years. I saw this machine 'in the flesh' before Woody sold it a number of years ago. It has since reappeared and named (incorrectly) as 'Fleet Air Arm' sporting a look-alike (but not quite) BMCo top flash which has been added, this machine was sold in its present guise about two and half years ago.

Interesting that the transformation of some machines still continues today, as they did years ago.
Attachments
Fleet air arm.jpg
coppinpr

Games featuring war themes

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I'm sure there is an existing thread for this to be merged with but I cant decide which one, the gurus will know

Ive just finished a new section on the www.penny-arcade.info site on coin operated shooting games. While researching the subject I found a lot of info about war time conversions for the very popular Seeburg "Ray-O-lite rifle ranges which I thought might be of interest to some here. These remarkable light sensor shooting games were the best there were from 1935 till about 1955, (See more about them and how they worked at https://www.penny-arcade.info/coin-oper ... ting-games )

Seeurg had been making new target boxes for existing games for some years before the war, many of which we would not consider politically correct today,these included "Shoot the Bartender" "Chicken Sam" (which featured shooting a hobo stealing chickens) "Jailbird" which offered the chance to shoot an escaping convict and "shoot the Mother in law" (so they weren't all bad).

bartender.jpg

jail bird.jpg

But when the war came they excelled themselves with "Kill that Jap" "Trap a Jap" and the strangely named "hit the Siamese Rats" (?)

killjap1.jpg
killjap1.jpg (16 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

trapjap2.jpg

siamese2.jpg

At first the name of this last one baffled me, then when I looked at the flyer it dawned. When the target moves one way it shows Hitler, when the other, it's Tojo (both with blood on their hands you might notice). They are linked together as Siamese twins!! A little over the top even for war time. :o

siamese3.jpg

siamese4.jpg

siamese1.jpg

Bally not to be left out came up with "Convoy" which gave the player a chance to machine gun a Nazi U boat a full year before the USA entered the war. !PUZZLED!
chris rideout

Re: Games featuring war themes

Post by chris rideout »

What about a "String up Mussolini" game? It could have been exported to Italy just before they changed sides because they did not want to lose! Somebody lost out on that one! A game I do remember was a Allwin style flickball machine named "Our Allied Forces" and it had a row of win cups at the top decorated with flag images from the UK, France, USA, Australia, etc at the top with a lose hole at the bottom carrying the German swastika and Japanese "rising sun" flags.

Such machines are deemed to be offensive and racist but so is a war!
gameswat

Re: Games featuring war themes

Post by gameswat »

chris rideout wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:11 pm A game I do remember was a Allwin style flickball machine named "Our Allied Forces" and it had a row of win cups at the top decorated with flag images from the UK, France, USA, Australia, etc at the top with a lose hole at the bottom carrying the German swastika and Japanese "rising sun" flags.
That machine is shown here: