Caille 1905

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
slotalot

Caille 1905

Post by slotalot »

Hi All, I have had this photograph sat in a folder on my computer for the past 2 or 3 years, I think must have picked it of the web at some time :-? ,anyway I thought I would post it here for you all to enjoy :boing:. It shows a group of people showing off a new? Caille type slot-machine, the photo is dated 1905 and looking at the 20c sign in the background it must be in America. and you never know it may now be in your collection! Happy slotting.
Attachments
callie.jpg
arrgee

Re: Caille 1905

Post by arrgee »

What a great old evocative photo Slotalot.

Could it perhaps have been taken in Canada, the reason being the French phrase 'coeur de moineau' on the wall to the right ?
My French is useless, :-( anyone out there know the translation of this phrase?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

My guess is Paris and the 20c was 20 Centimes. Coeur de Moineau means Heart of Sparrow - it might just be a poster for a French comedy of that name performed at the Athenee Theatre in Paris at the turn of the century - just about the right date.

I like the way the machine is given due reverence, taking centre stage in the picture.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hello again, :D My thanks to Arrgee & Pennymachines for your input on this, and I am glad you like the photo, You could well be right about it being french,I was going by the word above the 20c sign, it looks like "Book", and just like you my French is rubbish but my american is passable :wink: , maybe we will never know for sure. I have just been looking at the photo again and the man on the far left looks to be holding a snooker que, so it may have been taken outside a snooker hall?. :tarah: