Rotamints

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jonesthegarage

Re: Rotomint Silber

Post by jonesthegarage »

Here's mine in its original livery, missing the top flash but converted to old penny:
2014-09-24 17.30.01.jpg

The cartoons I believe were a series and, as you can see, mine is different. I've never bothered with a translation.
2014-09-24 17.30.37.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I wonder how many cartoons there were?
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Don't know how many in the series. The pictures on automatix-club.de and automatenarchiv.de both show the one you've got. Google images has a small grainy picture of one that appears to be different but I guess the only way we'll ever know is if others turn up.

There was one on ebay recently in the North East somewhere and that was the same as yours. I will tempt fate by saying I have never seen another one of "mine" and no doubt five or six will turn up.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

With a lot of help from Google Translate, yours appears to say: "we play them all but prefer Rotamint".

The bird with the big thrupennies on mine is advertising for a wealthy man with a view to marriage.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I want to know what the guy at the back is going to do with his right hand to the girl bending over on my machine.

I think I'm now able to rebuild the name panel so I might re-spray the front in the original colours.
fayandmatt

Rotamint parts needed

Post by fayandmatt »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all.

Was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with a few internals I'm needing so that our Rotamint can payout properly.

Parts needed are:

Top right hand relay.
Payout coil.
Part of coin mech.

I've seen the trAshed one on ebay which would fulfil our needs, but a bit costly. Willing to split that machine with someone if anyone needs some bits off it?

Cheers in advance.
Attachments
roto.PNG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Rotamint parts needed

Post by badpenny »

I apologise in advance for sounding as if I am doubting what you're saying. You probably know more about electricallies than the rest of us.

It's just that it seems a tad coincidental that you're looking to replace heavy duty parts. I guess you have tested the transformer and relevant fuses? I'm merely trying to save you time and money and not teach anyone "to suck eggs"

Regards
BP
fayandmatt

Re: Rotamint parts needed

Post by fayandmatt »

Hi BP.

Coincidental? I trust that's not a slur? ;)

This machine came from the Coventry auction and is currently under restoration in the best hands it could be. I'm sure you all know who that is.

I'm just trying to get the parts so that I can start throwing coins into it.

The fact that there's a battered one on ebay is no less common from one week to the next. It just happens to have the parts I need, though I did proffer assistance from the forum members in the first instance. And would rather they came from here if at all possible.
simon

Rotamint Duett

Post by simon »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all - although I have had this for some five years it has sat in the garage until now.

So have started to rebuild it and going fairly well. Having stripped the coin mech, it's running on 6d.

I have a real problem with the first set of switches behind the 'Start' button. In short they are not aligned properly at all so it won't light the button and I can only start it manually. I am sure I can sort this.

Biggest problem is the right hand relay in this photo. What does it do? I have got all of the others freed, but this one.... just doesn't seem to activate.
Attachments
IMG_0163a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Rotamint Duett

Post by badpenny »

Hi ........

I'm puzzled I thought it was an automatic start.
You put in the coin and away it goes, no button to start it.

The three red plastic switches in a row on the front are skill stops.
When you say you start it manually are you holding down the micro switch the coin sits on?

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BP, I don't think Simon is having problems starting the machine but re-starting the reels as the three buttons are not skill stops but re-starts.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ah! ..... It's been about 15 years since I tried to kill myself with one of these.
They have tricksy voltages coursing around inside.

I guess Simon is reaching inside and pulling the lever connected to the pin that stops the reel, so it kicks in again.
Put a meter across the terminals on that button, if there's power check what's happening at the contacts on the solenoid that pulls the lever out.
If not work the other way towards the transformer via the reed switches at the top which are activated by the semicircle of plastic teeth which move under power from the motor and gearbox set in line next to it.

It's probably just a bad contact that's either been bent back by accident or sooted up from arcing.
Don't stand in a bucket of water while you do it. :didact:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do have one of these somewhere, but I remember they usually have a wiring diagram on the door. If yours is missing, another member copied a diagram in the resources and has the relays operation see below, may be of help.

Rotamint Duett wiring diagram
simon

Post by simon »

Hi, thanks all for comments.

The Duett is not the same as some of the other Rotamints I have owned. Most start upon coin acceptance and then you stop the reels to play. The Duett accepts coin and lights left hand button which is labelled start. (Although mine does not work) once started ( I am using the test mode on the switch -see diagram ) and then you can stop reel three using brake button and it prompts you to restart wheel one. Then normal brake on wheel two. The advantage is that it gives you another spin of reel one. The pain is that the switching is nasty.

Thanks for all tips and I'll try all. I agree with "tried killing myself" it's an evil machine with both 6v a.c and 240v on the same board
puckhead

Need Rotamint advice

Post by puckhead »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I'm in the US, and picked up a Rotamint, see pic. I hooked it up to 220v and it lit up and went thru a cycle - the reels spun and stopped. Also, the numeric reel on the bottom left went from 42 to 41. After that, nothing. The right side coin tubes have 3 coin switches, the left side looks like it one, for a larger coin. Tripping any coin switch does nothing.

I haven't a clue how it's supposed to work. It was full of US dimes in a coin tube. I do have a Rotomat from the '60s, but electro-mechanical. This one has a logic board. I don't even know where to start. I did notice the coin lock out coils don't seem to pull in. That seemed to me to mean it's not in a ready state to take coins? I thought there might be a back door interlock preventing the coin lockouts from unlocking, but I don't see one. Is it in some kind of tilt mode? What are the reels on the bottom for?

Thanks
Attachments
20171110_135448.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Need Rotamint advice

Post by pennymachines »

I think it was made in 1978, so a bit outside the date range of machines we're comfortable with here. I wouldn't know where to start either. This video may give clues as to what it should do:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

And there was me thinking that you (Mr P) once had one of these which you tried to give away for free on this very site. And then had to scrap it due to its general unloved'ness?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

WOW! Your memory certainly is better than mine. Was it one of these? I ended up donating it to the rag and bone man. :o
simon

Post by simon »

We'll, I have found that the right hand relay is the main control one, and I cannot get a spare, so I have wired a jumper around it.

I have had to put new springs in each of the reels, and took ages to get the coin dispense to work. It does now.

So the final job, is new drive lines. I have some 3mm drive Spring . It appears as though I need to make loops out of 400mm of the stuff for each. Does this sound right?

Someone dropped me a PM, this is a 6d one and I think was set up at the factory as such as the jackpot description on the switch notes inside are correct for the combinations.
simon

Post by simon »

Meh......not doing well. I replaced all of the reel springs with ones that are too strong. The additional force is making it hard for the motor to turn the wheels so they are will all have to be removed. Also I am going to replace the 3mm Spring lines with "rubber" stuff from eBay that can be joined with heat.