Bell Fruit Cascade

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
widget2k4

penny cascade glass decals

Post by widget2k4 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I just got myself a penny Cascade and wondered if anyone had any info on the best way to put the paint back onto the glass where its missing, mainly where it says 'Bonus' where the bonus coins are collected.
Also, any tips for stopping the coins getting stuck from the striker just before entering the play field?
I know it's got to come apart as the bonus lever is on the wrong way 'round. Are there any tips on taking it apart and getting it back together?
Attachments
2014-05-25 01.18.27.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: penny cascade glass decals

Post by badpenny »

Wotcha' ......

There have recently been a thread or two explaining how to remove and replace the playfield without throwing all of the trips to the four winds. Try a Search.
My preferred method involves suspending the case field uppermost across the backs of two dining chairs then lying on my back underneath. However I recall Paul came up with a more dignified way which doesn't require blindfolding the parrot first nor making sure the vicar isn't calling in for tea.

Jammed coins probably refers to the constant problem of steel coins being thicker?
widget2k4

Re: penny cascade glass decals

Post by widget2k4 »

I found the one with you saying about the chairs but couldn't find another way. I will have another look.

The coins that are jamming are old non steel coins? They work sometimes then other times jam up and I have to remove the flicker mech to get them unjammed. It's very frustrating. :dammit:
widget2k4

Re: Bell Fruit Cascade

Post by widget2k4 »

ok got that all sorted and even found a way to get all coins working :) new or old without any jams. (bonus)
when i had it apart i noticed 3 pins at the top similar to what the trips go onto, not realizing what they were for i put it all back together, but now i realized the pins are stopping the coins reaching the big win hole, are these original or have they been added to stop people winning ?
they look original
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

i have now easily put in over a 1000 1p's into this machine and yet to get one in the very far left column ? is this normal and you have to manually fill the end column ? also hit the big win only once.
i am tempted to remove the 3 pins but feel they are meant to be in there ?
raj

Post by raj »

it sounds like the coin kicker may be slightly sticking in the slide, or perhaps it is not the original, or has been slightly shortened. It needs to be a loose fit, with no burrs to catch in the slide, so that it travels it's full length before hitting the coin.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

i think the kicker is fine as it flies the coins over to the left side but they just bounce back without going into the column, they hit the 3 pins thats hidden behind the cascade writing
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Every Cascade I've had has always reached the furthest column.
It sounds as if an operator has fiddled with it.

I don't have one now, so can't compare, but I'd guess those pins are added.

BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

think it has to come to bits again then and remove them :(
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Agree with BP, there should be no pins... The left column should be easy, as over tapping always ends up on the left hand side.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

pins removed and working perfect now :)
timearl

Trying to identify an old machine

Post by timearl »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi Everyone,

This is a real long shot, so if you like a challenge, please read on!

I’m trying to identify a machine I used to play many years ago. It was a simple manual mechanism - a box with a glass face over a solid back board. The gap between them was the thickness of a new penny. In one side of the box was a slot for a penny (or it might even have been a halfpenny, that’s how long ago it was).

To play, you put a penny into the slot, and it came to rest against the inner end of a sliding metal bar. The other end of this bar was outside the box, and you tapped the outer end of it to shoot the penny in an arc across the machine, between the glass face and the backboard.

There were five winning slots to aim for. If the penny dropped into the first slot it would come back to you and on the way it would trigger a lever and release another penny from a column under the winning slot.

The second slot would win you two extra pennies, the third three pennies and so on. If you hit the fifth slot, the five pennies that were released would also trigger a second lever which released a further five pennies making ten in all.

Pennies that missed all the winning slots would go to replenish those that were waiting to be released by winning pennies, until the column was full. After that, they would drop through into the back of the machine as profit for the owner.

Thanks for any help,

Tim
daveslot

Re: Trying to identify an old machine

Post by daveslot »

Sounds like a Cascade, just search on here there will be loads.

(Merged above - Site Admin.)
timearl

Re: Trying to identify an old machine

Post by timearl »

That's the one Dave, thanks very much,

Tim
cait001

Post by cait001 »

does anyone know where I can find a Cascade machine for sale? I am in Canada and willing to ship...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I sold one on eBay just over a week ago was cheap as well, not sure I would have risked shipping to Canada though..... maybe someone will......good luck
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The problems involved with shipping a Cascade lie in the area of the front glass.

All of the graphics are on the glass, if that breaks you won't get a replacement. Also the glass is all that holds all of the trips in place, if they come loose, you'll not only have immense fun finding them, identifying them and then get them back in place in the correct order (everyone puts the jackpot trips in backwards!) you'll end up with at least one escaping. You can get replacements though, it's just all hassle.

You'll also need a big bag of 1np coins unless Canada has an identical diameter, thickness and weight coin?

Good luck
BP :cool:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

thanks, everyone! Yeah I don't imagine it will be an easy or cheap thing to ship, but hopefully I can find someone to go on that journey with me and do a ridiculous packaging job on it. ;)
I could see removing the glass, wrapping it separately in piles of bubble wrap, securing in a tough box, and then putting that box with the rest of the unit. Not perfect, but fingers crossed it might survive.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

why not just visit here, have a holiday, and take one back with you, they're not particularly bulky or heavy
cait001

Post by cait001 »

moonriver wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:38 pm why not just visit here, have a holiday, and take one back with you, they're not particularly bulky or heavy
ha, I wish! :)
One day, we shall see. thanks for the invite.