Revamped Beromat-type bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
malcymal

Re: Can anybody identify this machine?

Post by malcymal »

Yes it was the same although it didn't have those holes at the top (if they are holes, there's 4 on left at top, 4 on right and some in the middle near the coin entry. The one I looked at was clean, with the ROMA badge to left of slot in a vertical position. It looks as if something is missing from the top of the machine in the photo, as the one I saw was flush.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Coin-op wrote:Can't identify this machine by an actual name. But I think it's one of those early 60s bandits made using Beromat mechanisms
I think that coin-op has hit the nail on the head with this one, as the proportions and layout of this machine are the same as the Beromat type bandits :cool: ... I just hope that owner of this machine invests some of the money he gets from it in a better camera lol..;-)
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I see the seller has now changed the photo for a better one :cool: ... was it something I said :?: ..
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

It's like this one <pic>, a Beromat mechanism in a flashy custom case. They were converted by a company in South Wales, I forget the name.
Attachments
manhattan.jpg
operator bell

Re: Beromat on Ebay

Post by operator bell »

Because the payout slides are reamed out for the old penny, they're a bit of a weak spot. Check the edges for cracks.
This is true. Two of the slides on my Novomat were broken. However, the payout slides are held in compression, so even if they're cracked in two across the hole they still function, and they can be glued back together. What can't be fixed is if one of the ears holding the springs is broken off. One of the German sites - possibly this one - has a tutorial on recasting broken payout slides and other Wulff parts. They make it look easy.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I am picking up yellow Beromat, hybrid, maybe South Welsh customised, Ruffler and Walker? whatever bandit on Sunday. It's a mystery what will be inside. It's locked with no keys. It does look like the one on ebay at the moment except that it is missing something from the top and award card. The one I'm getting all seemed there. After a big haggle, price agreed is £110, originally priced at £225, so for a dealer I think I've worked hard. OK, it might not work but it's an interesting fettle project and I just fell in love with it when I first saw it. Been dreaming of the damn thing for two weeks. Now to learn the art of lock picking Yales, youtube and wikipedia is a wonderful place.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Operator Bell wrote:It's like this one <pic>, a Beromat mechanism in a flashy custom case. They were converted by a company in South Wales, I forget the name.
Anybody know the name of the South Wales company that made this machine?? Is it Ruffler and Walker?!?!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

malcymal wrote:I am picking up yellow Beromat,
At Last :claps: .... Is this the ROMA bandit that we have heard so much about???.. you say you think it may be the work of R&W, as far as I know they were a London firm and not from S-Wales, If it has their name on it, it may be that they sold it on after being converted by others but I could be wrong :!?!: ... and as for the price... I think you did ok at £110 !!THUMBSX2!! : ... can't wait to see it :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Yes it is the ROMA!!! or whatever it could be... I'm buying it 'cause I just like it, it may be overpriced, it might not be worth much but I don't care. I will curse when I get it open I'm sure, it will either be OH S*** or, WOW, and I'm sure I will be asking questions on here to get it fully working. Will be back with it Sunday PM. I think the gurus on here have pretty much said it's a Beromat mech inside a custom UK cabinet. Would like to know who the maker is though, maybe there will be some markings inside.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Would like to know who the maker is though, may be there will be some markings inside.
I'm pretty sure it's not R&W. The blue Manhattan, I posted its picture in another thread, had a tag on it. Some company I'd never heard of in Rhyll (spelling?). I looked it up at the time and I seem to recall it was a showman company associated with a traveling fair. I'm sorry, I didn't write it down so I can't remember, but it was a short name.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi, Solomon Parker worked out of Rhyl, North Wales, does the name ring any bells operator bell? (pun intended) :tarah:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

<looks up Rhyl> Wow, you can't get much further north and still be in Wales. For some reason I thought it was near Cardiff. Could have been Parker Bros, it was a name like that, I don't remember. But I'm certain about Rhyl, and how many companies could there be in a little town working on slot machines? So that's probably it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

One of our members lives near Rhyl. I'll ask if he knows.
malcymal

Beromats and conversions

Post by malcymal »

Thanks all, be good to find out who made it. I will get the photos on as soon as I've got the thing back from Brighton.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The vendor of the Bryans stuff on ebay has one of these German bandit conversions up called Bronx with a Buy It Now of £395.00.
Attachments
229e_12.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Yes, I saw that, it's rather nice I think. Wouldn't pay that, be interesting to see if it sells. I mailed him to see if he knew who the maker was and he couldn't tell me.
malcymal

The ROMA has Landed

Post by malcymal »

Topic merged- site Admin.

Well, just got back from the nightmare that is Brighton where one way streets can lead you around and around in circles. Paid my £110 over, the flea market owner raised her eyebrows that I had haggled so well. I'm pleased so far with what I've seen over it, it seems to be in remarkable condition although it's all locked. Looking through the reel area I can see quite a lot of mechanism in there and coin chutes etc. Here's praying that it's all in there, else it's gonna be a fettling project. Tomorrow I will take her to the locksmith or if time today try a non damaging lock pick technique on the back door to get through and release the front. Both locks are Yale and same as my Jubilee mk1, so my old time smithy can work keys for these. Wife has inspected machine and loves the colour scheme. Still interested to know who reworked these machines, perhaps somebody can remember the name of the manufacturer, we know its based on Beromat inners, but don't know who made the case and conversion. Thanks all, Malc : )
Attachments
romafront.jpg
romasideview.jpg
romaawardcard.jpg
romahandle.jpg
romabadge.jpg
romabase.jpg
romayale.jpg
romaback.jpg
slotalot

Re: The ROMA has Landed

Post by slotalot »

Hi Malcymal :D , Nice One!... it looks as if it was reworked by the same firm that did the Bronx that Pennymachines posted last week :cool: .. I used to have a standard Beromat type machine and I let it go because it looked dull... but I can tell you that I wish I had this one instead... I think it looks quite good, and is in keeping with the 1960s style of machine, I also think that if it works ok the word bargain springs to mind... well done. :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks Slotalot, I HOPE IT'S A BARGAIN.... I'm going to get into it now, thought this would be fun to gauge my reaction, torque wrench made at dental pick tool in hand...

I'M DOING THIS LIVE, SO I WILL TYPE AS I FIND THE INSIDES!
.......now here it goes........lock pick going in (dental pick and brass strip as torque wrench) Bit stubborn, rake the pins, clicking in, bit of torque, voila....

I have just lock picked the rear lock,..........

With nervous moments I am about to remove the back door..........

Dare I look.................................??

OH NO...........

.................................OH MY

WOW................. I'm in.... It looks very clean. I can see an old penny on the right side of machine, putting it in now......blimey....it's spinning, it's only spinning......Kaching, penny into tube.... Spin seems quite long, I can see electrics in place, 2 fluorescent tubes at top and bottom of machine (this baby is gonna light up like a jukebox)... oh my, it's got a cash box too..... It's so so clean, one cobweb at top. I am more than happy. I will just need to ask somebody about machine timings now, this mech is completely alien to me but it's gonna clean up a treat.

Right, quick photo shoot and an upload coming...
Right here they are:
Attachments
romainner.jpg
romainners2.jpg
romainners3.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

malcymal wrote:Right, quick photo shoot and an upload coming...
Yes Bargain is the correct word for this !!THUMBSX2!! ... looks to be in good condition and very clean inside, Badpenny will no doubt advise on the timing, if we can coax him out from behind the compost bin in his back garden ;-) come on BP you're needed !WORSHIPFULL! ... it looks like it will light up as well, should look nice in the dark.... :tarah: