12 Win Clock

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
flashbk13

12 Win Clock

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi all,
Been awhile since I was in here. I just picked up a short style adjustable jackpot version twelvewin clock. Mine is stamped on the mech and the cabinet #28, so does that mean this is a very early release and put it at 1947? It needs restored, but as dirty and neglected as it is, actually plays and pays out correctly so far, but don't want to use it much until I clean and oil it properly (I'll be using US .50c coins, but seems to run on any coin that is close to a large size English penny).

My questions (so far) are:

How do I set that inner payout indicator dial (for the proper payout numbers in the little circles to match what I have the payout lever set to...24);

Where does that jackpot lever go on the right side of the machine next to the coin tube? (When I re-positioned the mech as it was not bolted down), I placed it inside that "handle" on the side of the coin tube. Seems to want to go there, but the lower part of the "handle" doesn't raise high enough to trip the lever to release the jackpot door;

What is that single "L" bracket near the jackpot area for?

I can see bits of the black and gold under the paint (seems someone painted over it) thru holes in the repaint. Can I use stripper chemical to remove the top layer and not destroy/ remove the original crinkle finish?

Thank you all for your help, Rick from way over the other side of the great big pond (Ontario, Calif.)
treefrog

Re: 12 Win Clock

Post by treefrog »

Hello Rick,

Pushing your post back up as I am sure lots of people can help as we all own at least one clock. Number 24 sounds very low, I have thought Bryans serial numbers started 101, being machine number one. There should be a few places the number is stamped, bottom of frame, rear door for a start.

Good luck getting the paint off, as if it's original crackle paint underneath, it may be a challenge, as I suspect that was old and flaky to start with. I am sure someone may have a tip on that.

I have never owned the variable payout version, but answers to your questions on the jackpot - can you show us a picture of what bits you are talking about? May help advise.

!!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If memory serves me right, the 'jackpot lever' goes underneath what you're calling the 'handle' (loop of metal), not inside it. That would explain why it's not lifting sufficiently.
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi Treefrog and Pennymachines. Thank you for bumping this up top :D The machine is definitely marked 28. It is physically stamped into the top metal crossbar (not ink printed like the later ones), right side and also physically stamped into the wood base just outside the wooden back door. There are no missing numerals. I will get a pic of the one in the base, and try to get the metal stamp as well (at least I know that mech goes with that cabinet !!THUMBSX2!! ). I will also look around to see if there are any other numbers. I will take a pic of the paper dial where you will see holes under each time number that indicate win amounts for each position. That can be rotated either way to line up the proper win amount per hole. Example, I have my 12midnite pay set for 24, but there is a 6 showing with part of the 24 showing. I looked behind the face to find this disc, but could not. I need to replace the paper dial (which I found in another post on this site), but they are too small and don't have the holes. If I can figure how to enlarge the dial face pics, then I should be able to use a hole punch. As for the paint, I will have to wait and see if anyone else here can help on that. Thank you both for your replies, Rick.
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi all,
Here are some pics of my clock. You can clearly see the 28 stamped into the wood, but the blurry pic of the 28 stamped into the metal crossbar can be made out (hard to get that pic). The rest you can see the little win amount numerals are not centered (can't see the other selections from this angle that are just inside the right edged of the circles). You can see the payout section with that jackpot lever and that "L" bracket with nothing attached to it. Any help and information would be great. Enjoy, Rick
Attachments
12-win-ca.jpg
12-win-ca.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
12-win-fa.jpg
12-win-3a.jpg
12-win-ba.jpg
12-win-ha.jpg
12-win-ga.jpg
12-win-ia.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Rick
I thought I would post a few pictures taken Four years ago when I had to renew the paper front on my twelve win in the hope they may be of use to you.
Fortunately a member on this site made me the replacement paper front. Like you I had difficulty in finding one the right size and without the numbers on the paper.
Your one, like mine has the numbers behind the holes.
After fitting the paper to the plate I cut the holes outs with a scalpel blade.
The guy that helped me has a website www.endofpier.com where you could contact him should you need to. His name is Jim. You could mention he did one for me four years ago. Hope this is of help
John
Attachments
9BBF53FA-9211-4687-9A24-1EC294C82BE6a.jpg
EA6A2FC0-3721-4F84-B828-100C3C85DAF2a.jpg
C5E82074-F53B-4E81-A3B3-8216D6BD22CEa.jpg
4CF21FCA-0094-42BB-8016-439257EED29Aa.jpg
2BB7092D-0F0F-43E3-9285-B8FE1B27978Ea.jpg
2A418686-BE8A-46DE-882F-B69AFE3A0A0Ca.jpg
6D85F3E6-13B2-4FCC-B6A3-19006C4D9BD5a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

20200410_150131a.jpg

Picture of my jackpot.
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Thank you highfield and Bryans fan for your help and pictures, Rick
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi bryans fan. So what does that "L" bracket do on your machine? iI it somehow connected to the jackpot to keep the coin tube "handle" and JP lever elevated? My JP tube sits too low, so it doesn't raise high enough for the lever to trip the JP dump. Thank you, Rick
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

JP ventured a theory on that question in 2016.
john t peterson wrote: Wed May 11, 2016 12:26 am The lever in question swings over the payout tube (manually positioned by the operator) to prevent the coin tube from rising, thus preventing any payouts or maybe keeping the coins safe during transport of the machine. For those unfamiliar with the game, the payout tube is raised to the appropriate height for a "win" and the coins at the bottom of the tube, now unprotected by the metal cylinder, are knocked out and fall into the payout cup.
pennymachines wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:51 am If memory serves me right, the 'jackpot lever' goes underneath what you're calling the 'handle' (loop of metal), not inside it. That would explain why it's not lifting sufficiently.
Sorry - I 'm not sure that was correct...
dirk55

Post by dirk55 »

Hi Rick
To set up your jackpot, try this - it worked for me:

First check your jp is in the closed position; now disengage the the pecker blade from the index wheel; rotate the index wheel to the 12 win position and insert the pecker blade. If the pecker blade is now half way down the slot, look at the clock face. You should have the large hand at 12 o clock. Disengage the pecker blade and rotate the index wheel so that both hands are on 12 o clock.

Now check the position of the pecker. It should be all the way in the slot. This is the jackpot position.
Lift the coin tube to the max. This should trip the jp. So at this point if your jp did not trip, check the distance from the trip rod to the inside bottom of the metal 0 shape loop. If there is a gap, you need to bend the trip rod. Do this by holding the rod inside the loop with pliers and bend the front of the rod down with a second pair of pliers. Doing it this way will prevent distortion at the other end.
Now disengage the pecker blade and turn the index wheel just to take it off the jp position; lower the coin tube, and bend the rod just slightly more.
Back to jp position, lift up the coin tube and see if this has worked. If not, just keep bending the rod until it does.

Mystery "L" bracket:
My idea on this is that on a jp win 12 pennies are paid from the coin tube, but none from the jp, because if the "L" bracket is positioned over the trip rod it can't trip the jp. So the punter calls the bag man complaining. The bag man then pays the punter the other 12 pennies from his bag of coins, saving him time fiddling around inside the mech resetting and refilling the jp.
But of course this is just a guess. :lol:
Hope it makes sense.
Derek
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

flashbk13 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:22 pm hi bryans fan. so what does that "L" bracket do on your machine, is it somehow connected to the jackpot to keep the coin tube "handle" and JP lever elevated? My JP tube sits too low, so it doesn't raise high enough for the lever to trip the JP dump. Thank you, Rick
The " L " bracket is in no way part of the payout system. As dirk55 says in their most thorough post, it appears to be there to stop the jackpot from being activated.
I have just had a look at my machine, and can't really add any further advice. Despite needing a fair bit of work, especially on the case, the mech has always worked fine. I am a believer in if it ain't broke don't try and fix it!

I do make an observation though having played with mine. The jackpot on mine is manual fill. The lever that goes through the handle on the side of the payout hopper, which holds the jackpot door closed, is virtually a hair trigger, the slightest movement triggers the jackpot.

I am also, as others have mentioned, confused by your number. I too believed that numbers were started at 101. My clock is number 501. It is one of the first 12 win clocks, dated as 1933 from the Factory records.
Your 12 win version is later I would have thought as it has the variable payouts. Most intriguing!
Hope you get it sorted easily.
Attachments
20200410_150357a.jpg
20200412_125707a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Been a long time since I've had a Clock so just guessing here, but Bryans seemed to like anti cheat devices, so could this be a basic tilt mech if you lean the cabinet forward?
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Thank you Derek, Bryans Fan, and gameswat for the info. I'll check it all out and report back what I find, Rick
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi Bryans fan. Where are your 501's located on your clock? Anyone else want to "chime in" as to where your numbers are and what they are? Would be interesting to see the range and years of our clocks. Thank you, Rick
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Rick
I checked the numbers on my adjustable twelve win today.
The number is 947/0 and is in three places.
Stamped on the metal. Stamped on the base at the back and also at the bottom of the door. No idea what this means in terms of manufacturing date. It would be interesting if anyone knows.
I checked my jackpot was operating today. It is and the lever is ‘inside’ the loop of metal.
From my picture you will see a white plastic liner inside the coin tube. This just closes down the inside diameter and allows me to either use old pennies or 50p coins.
John
Attachments
515CA267-5CC7-4887-80D8-4339555BA3F3a.jpg
6387F706-53C4-478B-BE9F-F383E3602730a.jpg
0C66A2AC-C0F0-4A03-AF77-DA744E8474E1a.jpg
10C79A00-C6D3-4D2A-BE54-200CD126FB90a.jpg
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi John,
Thank you for the reply. Beautiful clock. Mine is supposed to have that paint scheme, but someone painted over it (I can see, especially on the door, the black and gold showing through. I hope others "chime in" with their numbers. It looks like your number is 941, not 947. Mine is only stamped at the base by the back door and the frame top crossbar, but not on my door that I can see. I'll be running my clock US half dollar coins as they work just fine without mods. Rick
highfield

Post by highfield »

Hi Rick
Yes you're right, typo.
It is 941/0
John !PUZZLED!
highfield

Post by highfield »

Rick
Did you resolve the issue of getting a replacement clock face ?
John
flashbk13

Post by flashbk13 »

Hi John, not yet.