Isle of Wight - Arreton - Working Oldies in Play

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
malcymal

Isle of Wight - Arreton - Working Oldies in Play

Post by malcymal »

Just got back from the Isle of Wight, had fun changing my pound coins into old 1d coins. Arreton had lots of oldies, pictures here. Highly recommend a visit.
Attachments
Easy Perm (won loads on this!)
Easy Perm (won loads on this!)
Barrels
Barrels
Fill Em Up
Fill Em Up
Skill Fun - Ball Past the Arrow
Skill Fun - Ball Past the Arrow
The Smithy
The Smithy
Cricket
Cricket
Over the Falls
Over the Falls
Pussy shooter, ding dong
Pussy shooter, ding dong
Don't wear tight trousers
Don't wear tight trousers
Pic1
Pic1
malcymal

Re: Isle of Wight - Arreton - Working Oldies in Play

Post by malcymal »

And some more - there were so many I didn't know where to start taking pictures. Arreton Barns, two sections, one containing mainly one arm bandits, Watlings, Mills, Aristocrats, Jubilees, Segas etc. Second section containing these lovely wall mounted machines, Laughing Sailors, fortune tellers etc. Was a fantastic day, and my kids just kept asking me for pennies. How innocent these machines were and far more fun than amusements today. I'd estimate in the region of 60 machines in working use for the public. They have Bryans Clocks, Fruitbowls, Bullions, absolutely fab. So many people playing on them the change machine ran out of old 1d coins!!!
Attachments
??
??
Challenger
Challenger
QuadMatic
QuadMatic
Heaven and Hell
Heaven and Hell
Retreeva
Retreeva
Glamour Girl (plus 3 others)
Glamour Girl (plus 3 others)
Pool Tote
Pool Tote
100 year old football
100 year old football
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

malcymal wrote:And some more - there were so many I didn't know where to start taking pictures. Arreton Barns, two sections, one containing mainly one arm bandits, Watlings, Mills, Aristocrats, Jubilees, Segas etc. Second section containing these lovely wall mounted machines, Laughing Sailors, fortune tellers etc. Was a fantastic day, and my kids just kept asking me for pennies. How innocent these machines were and far more fun than amusements today. I'd estimate in the region of 60 machines in working use for the public. They have Bryans Clocks, Fruitbowls, Bullions, absolutely fab. So many people playing on them the change machine ran out of old 1d coins!!!
Hi malcymal :D ,I went down to Arreton barns about five weeks ago, I was amazed how it had changed from my last visit in 2003 at that time they had very few machines at all :oops: I think Andy must have got the slot machine bug now as he is getting some very nice machine on site, I have done an article on Arreton Barns for the Mechanical Memories Magazine, just need Jerry to publish it :idea: the only thing is Jerry is snowed under running his own arcade at Brighton, I went down to see him the week before last and he promises to get the latest magazine out soon... so please be patient if you have not had the July issue yet :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Arreton Barns certainly worthy of publicity, sort of thing that should be in the Sunday rags. It was so lovely to see the children playing these machines, far more excitement in their faces than you see with modern slots. I came out of Arreton with a big smile on my face, and then even more smiles seeing all the Scooters buzzing around the island (another old passion of mine). We then waited for the bus, what turned up was an old double decker, a really old one that started to go backwards when going up a 16% incline full of passengers. A whole day of nostalgia on the island - couldn't beat it. The Brighton Arcade - I'm still annoyed with myself - I'd heard of it but didn't know where it was. We were in Brighton, went on the pier then walked directly down on to the beach and ate a portion of chips, we got up to go then I noticed a bloke pulling down the shutters by the arches along the esplanade, doh....just a glimpse of old mechanical penny slots - so near yet so far.... It must have been Jerry's place. Gutted - so wanted to visit this place I'd heard about. Might make a trip down their soon to take a look. Had to smile with Arreton, just like my machines at home, the occasional penny put in and nothing happened...just smiled and stuck in another and tried again..the joy of slots.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I did pop into Jerrys place after visiting the Jukebox show earlier in the year. I didn't announce myself, but he kindly let me take my dog in, which perhaps wasn't a good idea as he is not as keen on the machines as me and I was left with little time to have a go.

Something that would be good on the site, would be a list of all vintage arcades, but with feedback and pictures from other members. I know there used to be a vintage arcade list on the old site version, which you can still access through the archive link, but a lot of these place either don't have websites or play down what they are like. If you look at Arreton website, it really plays down the arcade and you would have no idea of the quantity or quality of machines available, I probably should put this on the site suggestion section, but perhaps an arcade listing and rating section would help and the ability to add a gallery, although that may be a spoiler,
just a thought....
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

tree-frog wrote: Something that would be good on the site, would be a list of all vintage arcades,
Hi tree-frog, here's one for your list :D , its Clive's Vintage Arcade all the way out on the end of Southport Pier, he has a nice selection of old penny machines and he tells me he has plans to add more as he gets them ready, well worth a visit, :tarah:

loramarsden

Post by loramarsden »

gah! souport pavillion arcade, my home away from home!
loramarsden

Post by loramarsden »

just a few of my collection of the fortune teller cards in my sketchbooks for uni...
fortune1.jpg

fortune2.jpg

fortune3.jpg

fortune4.jpg

and some photos from my last visit to the end of the pier arcade at southport, i dragged my friend alex (because she can drive...she quickly became very bored - what the hell goes on in peoples heads?)
Attachments
ride-3.jpg
ride-2.jpg
ride-1.jpg
rock.jpg
modern3.jpg
modern2.jpg
modern1.jpg
mirror-3.jpg
mirror-2.jpg
mirror-1.jpg
stepinside.jpg
donkeyrides.jpg
arcade-2.jpg
pelham.jpg
bryanscrane.jpg
clubmaster.jpg
bally.jpg
kitkat.jpg
skill-fun.jpg
skyjump.jpg
prazisa.jpg
arcade.jpg
stringcutter.jpg
cricketers.jpg
oracle-2.jpg
oracle-1.jpg
sega.jpg
bullion.jpg
fruitbowl-cu.jpg
fruitbowl.jpg
arcadian.jpg
palmistry2.jpg
palmistry.jpg
pusher.jpg
gipsy2.jpg
readingfortune.jpg
zasha.jpg
fullteam.jpg
gipsy.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Who needs words with great photos like these; it just tells a story of what looks like you having a fabulous day. Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing them :D :cool:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

loramarsden wrote:gah! souport pavillion arcade, my home away from home!
Hi Lora :D , I see you are collecting the cards from the fortune teller machines, did you know that Clive Baker the chap who owns and runs the vintage arcade's at Southport Pier & Bygon Times also prints and supplies most of the fortune telling cards that are used in vintage machines all over the world? why not have a word with him if you are wanting to get a full set, you will find his contact number in the services draw of the Pennymachine Archive :tarah:
loramarsden

Post by loramarsden »

oh lordy! thanks VERY much! by shere coincidence i've posting letters out to various people this week asking for any information/help on the subject, to help with my dissertation... and i did send one to the people at the southport pier arcade! *squeal* lets hope i get a reply soon! :-)