Revamped Beromat-type bandits

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
stoxman22

Revamped Beromat-type bandits

Post by stoxman22 »

I have just got this machine from ebay and would like to know if anyone can help identify the maker. There are no manufacturing lables or mark anywhere that I can see. I am guessing it is a 1960s machine looking at the style, but any info on maker or age would be helpful.

Stoxman
Attachments
PICT2506.JPG
daveslot

Revamped Beromat-type Bandits

Post by daveslot »

These are recased German Beromats. I have had one with the maker's name on. I think these revampers came from Southend.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As Dave says, the mech. will be from a 1950s German Beromat-type wall bandit by Gunter Wulff. They swamped the UK market in the late fifties. Some UK companies such as AMECO did a nice trade in revamping them for British use. This usually involved converting them to the Penny and sometimes "improving" them by covering the wood veneers with nice clean, modern plastic laminates. A few companies went further and converted the wall machines into counter-top bandits, the Duchess being the most common. Someone out there must remember who made these. I have an odd little metal penny pusher called Razzle Dazzle which uses exactly the same coin entry and I believe it also originated from Southend-on-Sea.

Another common type has a curved, vaguely jukebox-style, coloured plastic front. These were manufactured for Ruffler and Walker I think.

Last edited by duckiezoo22f on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

Thanks for that.
malcymal

Beromats and conversions

Post by malcymal »

Topic merged- site Admin.

Came across one today in Brighton in a flea market, this one was stunning. I think Badpenny said they were spruced up for the UK market by creating different cases?!?!. Couldn't take a photo as I was on the way to a graduation.
It was metal, immaculate condition, same footprint as the Beromat wall machines, yellow perspex front (I assume this lights up) the reel strips were like mint, on 1d play. They don't have the keys so I couldn't look inside, (not an issue, my old locksmith can work out keys into locks). Everything looked superb. I'm gonna ring them tomorrow as the seller wasn't there and get more details. (It has a badge on it: "ROMA"). Does this mean anything to anybody?!?!
I generally find them quite ugly to look at, but this one was something else though, so if I get it, I will get the pics online.
willborl

Re: Beromat on Ebay

Post by willborl »

Hi malcymal.
What a good find, sounds like a lovely orginal machine.
Do post the pictures though if you get it mate :D
Sorry don't think I know the machine. But I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with that.

Cheers
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Okay, further info is the machine has been dry stored for many years and was in a cafe in Brighton. From its condition and presence of the reels it looks extremely good. OKAY, I might get it open and find bits amiss. Do you think £140 is too much?? My gut feeling is it's about right.
The smithy can work the keys for £20 and provide 2 sets of keys included. Are parts aplenty for these?? They look quite simplistic inside from photos I've seen??
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

malcymal wrote:Came across one today in Brighton in a flea market, this one was stunning, i think Badpenny said they were spruced up for the uk market (it has a badge on it ROMA) does this mean anything to anybody?!?!
Hi malcymal :D ... I have just had a thought :idea: .... if it has been spruced up maybe the castings have been cut and altered from?... BEROMAT.... ROMA.... stranger things have happened :!?!:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Oh right, yes, I know where you are coming from. The badge itself looked unique. I'm contemplating whether to go and get this in the morning, I'm a bit nervous about it. I'm hoping to haggle him down if I go. One thing is, the handle. Can you guys tell me whether the handle can be pushed down in a Beromat without a coin in? (obviously not spinning anything)? I'm not aware of how the handle is actuated, or is it something like when the coin drops in, it actuates something that engages the handle to create tension and spin the reels? I remember this is what I could do on it yesterday, move the handle down without a coin, but the reels did not spin.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

My recollection is that the handle will move up and down freely. When a coin is inserted this connects the free moving part of the mech (basically the handle) with the main mechanism and allows for the machine mech to operate when the handle is pulled down.

Scrap mechs do turn up from time to time (say in amusement auctions), but they are often sought out by those with such machines as the mechs do suffer from broken parts due to their pot metal nature. And it can be a long time between the last one and the next one showing up.

My guess is that £140 is fair if it is complete and just needs a bit of TLC, but if it's locked and doesn't seem to work with a coin deposited then it could be an expensive gamble if there are problems with the mech. Remember, if you don't spend your money, you've still got it for the next bargain!

Oh, and another thing, I'm not so sure that keys are quite as easy to make for the locks found on this type of machine.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

malcymal wrote: is it something like when the coin drops in, it actuates something that engages the handle to create tension and spin the reels?
Exactly like that! To compensate for lightweight construction these games are designed to avoid stress.
As long as everything is complete and no parts damaged, the most common problem is with the payout mechanism. Because mechanical forces are minimized, a bit of grunge and dried grease is enough to stop it working. The answer is to disassemble, clean and polish the slides and associated linkages and re-lubricate the moving bits (but not the slides).

Because the payout slides are reamed out for the old penny, they're a bit of a weak spot. Check the edges for cracks.

As Coin-op says, if it has the Zeiss locks that Wulff used, you may have difficulty finding suitable blanks to re-cut the keys. Worth trying though.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

It's got Yale locks with one right under the coin reject top of machine dead center and one on back.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I've just had a look behind the compost heap, and sure enough I have a fresh patch of "Wulff odds and bods" starting to break the soil. I seem to have complete and incomplete mechs emerging. I hope we don't have any more sudden frosts.
Whilst upstairs in the nursery I think I have a drawful of those shiny little twiddly bits that look meaningless until you see them fitted who needs what?
willborl

Post by willborl »

I wouldn't mind some of those mechs and bits n bobs BP.
Can you email me?

Cheers
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:I've just had a look behind the compost heap, and sure enough I have a fresh patch of "Wulff odds and bods"
So that's were you've been all week! :oops: ..Welcome back... :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks Stuart, I've been absent as I seem to have lost my job, and am trying to come to terms with all that implies.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Sorry to hear that Badpenny! :-(
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:Thanks Stuart, I've been absent as I seem to have lost my job, and am trying to come to terms with all that implies.
It seems to be the new national passtime right now :cry: ... I hope you manage to get fixed up with something soon !THUMBS!
malcymal

Beromats and conversions

Post by malcymal »

Topic merged- site Admin.

Can anybody identify this machine??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-one-arm-b ... 240%3A1318

Thanks, malc
Attachments
german.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Can anybody identify this machine?

Post by coin-op »

Can't identify this machine by an actual name. But I think it's one of those early 60s bandits made using Beromat mechanisms to give a new life to a machine which was then becoming old and familiar. Guessing from the comments made by you in recent posts I wonder if this is possibly similar to the machine which you asked about which an antique dealer had?