Bradley Challenger and variants

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
brianward

Bradley Challenger and variants

Post by brianward »

During the summer holidays hoping to restore an Old Bradley Challenger. Need help on two fronts. firstly can anyone give me the engravings on the top left and right, mine have faded quite badly. Also, is there anyone with original locks?

Brian
Attachments
Challenger
Challenger
Bradley Challenger.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with Bradley Challenger

Post by badpenny »

I think I can help you out on both fronts, but not straight away as I'm currently flapping around carrying a Duomat up and down stairs trying to get it close enough to my scanner to enable me to clamp my scanner to its front with Gaffa Tape, then I've got to finish off Lora Marsden's degree project ............... The things I say I'll do, still it keeps me out the long grass down by the railway tracks!
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hi!
The locks are Union locks - the type you find on metal lockers; the shaft is 20mm.
I will try and copy my instruction plates for you.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I also bought one of these from "Newbaby" Tony of Kings Langley a while back, he had three of them for sale and this looks like one of them?. Have yet to do anything with it, but the panels on mine are clearer, will try and take a picture.The thing that appears to have been common on these I have seen is for the top marque to crack, I have a very old repair on mine, which I will probably leave as it looks the part.

I was tempted to leave the original years of age/grime on it rather than strip down to a shiney new finish, so would be interested to see what you do and how it comes out.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I tried to take photos of the corner plates for you (don't laugh Jem) but until the words are picked out in paint the letters are too flat to show .... sorry :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

The lettering on these embossed metal Challenger instruction plates often seem to suffer from this. I suspect Bradley over-worked his stamping dies until they were worn out. Later Challengers have cheaper-looking black plastic instruction plates with white de-bossed text.
Dropcases1n2.jpg
Dropcases1n2.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 673 times

If the text has sufficient relief to be readable, you might try a restoration method that worked for me:

Carefully paint over the lettering with Vaseline using a very fine paintbrush and then over-spray the plates with whatever colour you want for the background. Leave for a day to dry thoroughly then carefully rub the paint from the letters using a toothpick or similar.

Pre-emptive note to BP - what I do with Vaseline in my spare time is my business. !SHSSS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We're wasting money on the same script writer Mr PM
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

In reply to Dave's PM query - you could use a variation of the method to colour the letters as well as the background, but I wouldn't recommend it. The idea was to highlight the embossed lettering in shiny (bare) metal against a painted background.- they will stand out better and look more effective. I think this was the original scheme.

So, first I carefully applied a thin coat of Vaseline over the letters and the raised framing and then used a spray paint to cover the whole plate. When it was thoroughly dry, the Vaseline allowed me to remove paint off the raised areas only (where it had not adhered). I found it easiest to do this using a long fingernail (more sensitive control). I masked with tape over the very small patent lettering panel, because it was too small to individually highlight.

I used dark blue cellulose car paint on the instruction plates and British Racing Green for the main top, centre and bottom castings. John Carter bought the machine - it's on page 51 of Arcades & Slot Machines (in B&W).
fourfive

Post by fourfive »

Here are a few pictures of a machine I have that is awaiting restoration. I assume it's a Bradley Challenger or variation of one, it has a Zig-Zag chrome badge on the top. Any information on the machine would be appreciated.
Attachments
machine2.jpg
machine1.jpg
lock2.jpg
lock1.jpg
legend3.jpg
legend2.jpg
legend1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've seen a few variations on the standard Challenger. The ZIG-ZAG plaque seems to be bolted over the original name. Also, your machine has the hinged cast frame around the front glass. Presumably, this was a later factory modification to help the operator deal with coin jams, which are inevitable and quite awkward to clear on these games. I've noticed this mod often seems to be accompanied by a change in the machine's name, so maybe it was to signify the "new improved" version. See, for example, this Shooting Star variant with its angular, Deco top casting.
Attachments
ShootingStar.jpg
ShootingStar.jpg (21.12 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
ShootingStar2.jpg
ShootingStar2.jpg (26.7 KiB) Viewed 8999 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think with the frame it sort of improves the looks and boy, you're right - this was a better modification than having to lift out the whole mech and glass to clear jams.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Grabber has sent the following pictures of his disassembled Challenger, including close-ups of the instruction plates, which should help anyone working on one of these.
Attachments
parts for brad challenger 001.jpg
parts for brad challenger 002.jpg
parts for brad challenger 004.jpg
parts for brad challenger 006.jpg
parts for brad challenger 007.jpg
parts for brad challenger 008.jpg
parts for brad challenger 009.jpg
parts for brad challenger 010.jpg
parts for brad challenger 011.jpg
parts for brad challenger 012.jpg
parts for brad challenger 013.jpg
parts for brad challenger 015.jpg
parts for brad challenger 016.jpg
parts for brad challenger 017.jpg
parts for brad challenger 023.jpg
parts for brad challenger 024.jpg
parts for brad challenger 025.jpg
parts for brad challenger 026.jpg
parts for brad challenger 027.jpg
parts for brad challenger 028.jpg
parts for brad challenger 029.jpg
parts for brad challenger 030.jpg
parts for brad challenger 031.jpg
parts for brad challenger 032.jpg
parts for brad challenger 033.jpg
parts for brad challenger 034.jpg
parts for brad challenger 035.jpg
parts for brad challenger 038.jpg
parts for brad challenger 044.jpg
parts for brad challenger 061.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I have two Challengers and the instruction plates are all acid etched on brass plates, definitely not stamped. It maybe that some of the plates weren't bathed as long as others to explain the lack of definition. Or maybe over zealous polishing has worn them down?

I've never seen the modernized opening door frame before, looks nicely done as the design fits really well. Quite a change from many of the operator mods I've seen!!
grabber

Post by grabber »

The centre column in these games is always blocked when you buy them. I have unblocked mine and played the game but found that the machine paid out all the time and I preferred to play it with the centre column blocked as the game was more interesting that way.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

pennymachines wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:09 pmCarefully paint over the lettering with Vaseline using a very fine paintbrush and then over-spray the plates with whatever colour you want for the background. Leave for a day to dry thoroughly then carefully rub the paint from the letters using a toothpick or similar.
I will definitely have a go at this although one would need a very steady hand, I love these tips... there needs to be a tips section to add to the resource section... mind you I don't keep any Vaseline in the house...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

tree-frog wrote:... mind you I don't keep any Vaseline in the house...
I am intrigued .... where do you keep it?
peter

Bradley Challenger - High Price!

Post by peter »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I was surprised at the price of £820 for the Bradley Challenger on Ebay.
This seems a high price for a fairly common machine - or am I missing something special about this machine?
Attachments
challenger1.jpg
13rebel

Re: Bradley Challenger - High Price!

Post by 13rebel »

I agree, especially as the middle column (highest payout) had been blanked out.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

As an owner of such a machine (with the central column intact) may I say how joyful I am. :cool:
The Grabber

Post by The Grabber »

I think the game plays better with the centre column blanked off. I have tried to play the game with the centre column open and the game pays out all the time and it seems to get a bit boring. As for price, I don't think a complete one has come up on ebay for some time. At least with the one which just sold, you could put it in your front room and play it. Maybe that's why it made a good price.