Getting a handle sleeve off bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Getting a handle sleeve off bandit

Post by malcymal »

Dear guys, got a Sega mech, got the handle arm off by removing centre bolt from inside case. How do I get the handle sleeve out? There are two bolts inside that I've released but its not gonna budge - am I missing something? I assume the sleeve must come out from the outside casing as it can't go through the hole in the case. HELP, I want to repaint the body work and get the handle and sleeve rechromed. I don't want to force it and bust something. Malc
andy g

Re: Getting a handle sleeve off bandit

Post by andy g »

Hi,
Is it the Sega Continental that you have just bought? If it is, my Sega has a threaded boss sleeve, so you just need to unscrew the boss. The two bolts only hold the bracket to the case. Hope this helps
Attachments
sega1.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks Andy,
When you say unscrew, how do you grip the thing to unscrew it? There are four small holes on the fascia - do you need a tool? Where did you get your manual? I could sure do with one of those, as could the forum,
thanks, Malc.
rbrewerton

Post by rbrewerton »

Hi Malc,
I did my Diamond 3 Star last year and that handle sleeve or boss was as you describe. What I did was make a tool out of a piece of wood with two nails driven through it and the points ground off so that the nails engage in two of the holes in the boss. Then you can twist it to undo the thing by pulling on the wooden lever much as you would pull the handle normally. But you'll probably find it's a left hand thread. Try it , it costs nothing to make and it worked for me.
Richard.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's what we like to see on here - a solution that includes 2lbs of ingenuity and a degree in bodge'ometry, well done that man!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks, I shall give it a whirl tonight, malc : )
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi Malc,
I have also used the two nails and a bit of wood method to get the boss off. My machine is a mark 10.
Here is a picture to give you an idea of the paint scheme.
Attachments
sega continental2.jpg
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi malc
This was the first slot machine that I ever bought in 1984. I had wanted a slot for a while but could not find anybody willing to sell me one - this was before the internet and ebay.
Every Thursday, I would be at the newsagents to get the latest Exchange & Mart. Then one day there was an advert from a Mr Gillman in London who was selling some slots. A phone call later and he told me about a Sega he had been offered that was local to me and, if I wanted it, I could
have it. (I don't think he was interested in it really, and me buying it would save him the trip from London). After convincing my dad that a slot machine was a good idea (I could not drive at the time and I needed a car and driver to go to pick the machine up), I became the proud owner of a Sega Continental.
Then the slot market news started to arrive and I was on the slippery slope to slot machine addiction (do you know the feeling?). I think I paid about £40 for it. The only thing that I have done to it was to replace the wire limit switch that lights the special feature window. When I got the machine there were two wires hanging loose that came from the socket on the back of the mech. Other projects stopped me doing any more to it. It just gets polished now.
When I got the machine it came with a cash box full of tokens so I have never tried it using Sixpences. Over the years every Continental that I have seen has always been the same colour as my machine and quite a few have had peeling paint on the award glass. Must have been a fault on these machines. I do not know where to get a replacement glass, I will measure the glass to see if I can scan it but I think it is too big.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

That's a great story Andy - I bet your dad was really happy?? ; ) When I picked mine up I had never picked up something so heavy in all my life!!! The belly glass image is going to be difficult for me to reproduce. All I can think of is doing some scans and slicing the images step by step together - the image cannot be shifted. It's cracked and separated, but you can't push it back together (perhaps they shrink?). You could try getting hold of an original Sega logo online... I found one tiny image and am in the steps of reproducing it. The 6d to coin tube is easily resolved by just removing the coin deflector that sits between a guide above the coin tube. What is the wire limit switch you talk about? Anybody know how it works? Thanks for your info, it's really appreciated. If you managed to get a scan, two halves of the scan will do if you've got an A4 scanner - I will splice them together in Photoshop.
andy g

Post by andy g »

Hi Malc,
Here is the scan of the glass. The switch that I was talking about is located behind the reel stop levers and bolted to the base. When it is operated, it turns on the bulb to light the special award sign. The picture is not very good but it should give you an idea to see if your machine has the same. If it is not the same, could you send a pic of what your machine has?
Attachments
switch.jpg
new-4.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Andy, I owe you beers big time! This is awesome, I can't thank you enough for the belly glass. Yes, I have that little switch - it's still in place. There are wires leading off from it that go into what I used to call a serial connector on the back of the mech frame. There are then some cut wires on the front of the switch which I assume goes to the flag light up feature. Is that all that was required to operate the feature, no other trickery going on anywhere?? There is a back plate cover on the rear door which houses the fluorescent chokes (ballasts), nothing else present apart from some sort of mains transformer on the inside base of the machine. I assume that the lemon breaks the circuit when this feature is engaged and prevents the payout as it's the only symbol that isn't chequered. Payout tickler for lemon on the front reel goes into the first reel disk only.
Once again, really kind of you to take the trouble and unhook all your front door stuff to get the glass off. Malc