Regina Beromat Restoration

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
tallstory

Regina Beromat Restoration

Post by tallstory »

I got two Wulff Regina Beromats at Eastbourne Auctions. They were in dreadful condition and it has taken me till now to make one good working machine from them. I have made a short video of the result and loaded it on youtube.

highfield

Re: Regina Beromat Restoration

Post by highfield »

What a great job. Well done !!RAYOF!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice one, looks great.

I assume one was a donor machine. Fun these machine are, one thing, I think there may be some drag on reel one. You can hear the clatter. It might be the reel kicker arm dragging under the reels. Running nice though. !!THUMBSX2!!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Quite right treefrog. I think you saw the machines at the auction and saw the poor condition they were in. I felt there was no way to get both machines restored so I took parts from both to get the final result.

And you are right about the kicker running on the reel pins but I thought this was intentional. You can see in the photos that the cam allows the kicker to drop when the reels are running (and make a nice clickerty noise) and lifts it when they stop (so you can push the reel on manually) - all timed by the clockwork motor.
However one machine did have this disabled. I'm sure you are far more experienced with these machine than me (this is my first) so what do you think? Is this intentional or not?

Just a quick thank you to the forum for the comments on the Beromats, especially in obtaining new keys, which were very helpful.
Attachments
kicker up
kicker up
kicker down
kicker down
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure you are showing the kicker arm. This is below the reels and spins the reels round. Maybe what you are showing is what is causing the noise and not the kicker. Is that right? !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

On a Günther Wulff bandit the reels each have their own kicker.
They are positioned beneath each reel and sit on a common axle. After commencing the spin they rest well away from the rods on the reels they engage with.
If they are fouling all three it would have to be at the same time. It doesn't seem to that which is happening.

What you are showing is the restart mech on reel one. It operates only from the button on the front of the case. It enables you a second chance if the first reel stops on a lose symbol.
Generally speaking operators weren't enamoured with this and tended to remove part of the trip to disengage it. Check if the clicking is coming from that. If it is, it may not be resetting at the start of the cycle.

BP
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Thanks guys. Yes I was using the wrong term. Lack of experience you know. It is the restart arm and it is this that makes the noises. The kicker arms are well clear of the reels when they spin.

Just a thought. Would it be a good idea to start a restoration area in the BB? I would find it useful to have tips, ideas and restored machines in one place. Is it a goer Mr admin?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Don't worry about learning the terminology tallstory, it's all made up and we constantly confuse each other by doggedly sticking to our own personal version.
We've been listing the most commonly asked questions since 2005 in "Tips For Newcomers" Which may be found HERE. There's a lot of stuff in there you might find interesting and may wish to add to yourself. Oddly we expect newcomers to find it for themselves without help or hinderance! Another resource is the Search facility at the top right of the page. I suggest you carefully read the instructions on how to use it as it's not intuitive or anything at all like Google. It does what it does much like a Günther Wulff bandit does its thing compared to an American three reeler.

BP :cool:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

There is a strange payout (or rather non payout) on my Regina Beromat machine. The Awards list gives a 2d payout for 'Bar Bar 2', but the machine never delivers it. Examining the payout cams confirms that this isn't possible, as there is a blank area without a cut-out, so the sensors can't trigger the 2d drop.

Has anyone noticed this strange behaviour with a Beromat before? I'm thinking of filing a cut-out to correct this manufacturing oversight.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good idea, go for it.
Make sure you get the depth right.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I would double check before cutting anything, as tolerances are fine on payouts on these machines and, if strips are correct to pay discs, it may be an adjustment needed on the pay rod, as I've had similar issues many times myself... Only saying, as far more difficult to put metal back on. :HaHa:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I got out my file and about an hour later, the machine now pays out correctly. Fortunately there was another 2d payout slot on the cam so I could copy the depth from that one.

Thought perhaps the purists would scream in horror at the idea of modifying the Regina bandit. It's still a great puzzle why this was not machined in from the start.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm sure there are purists that would scream in horror, whether they are the same enthusiasts that would even look at a Günther Wulff machine is another issue. I started collecting slots when decimalisation came in, and my pulse still leaps whenever I think I've spotted anything with a coin slot.
Just because I love them doesn't mean everyone does, let alone give one house room of course.
As for why, I'd imagine a change of reel strips at some point has resulted in someone thinking they'd got the right one, when in fact they'd nearly got the right one.
BP
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Badpenny
I see you are a philosopher and a sensible chap too. Your comment about the reel strips reminded me that I found a paper number 6 loose in the cabinet. If this had been pasted on top of the number 2 on the strip then this would explain why there was no payout for this position. Someone had decided that the payout was too much or maybe this was a manufacturer's option.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd be in agreement with you on all levels I reckon.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a GW bandit that hasn't had some kind of "twiddling" with the peaks and troughs of delight and misery that form the pay out discs.

Even if yours were proven to be a 60 year old virgin and had faithfully returned everything she'd ever promised since leaving the factory, you've hardly rocked the world's economy by adding another 2 coin pay out. They're all pretty mean when it comes to sharing around the happiness anyway.

BP :didact:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Interestingly (well I find it interesting anyway) eliminating the 'bar bar 2' payout reduces the percentage winnings from 60.2% to 47.6% Somebody really was being mean and I have put a little more joy into this queen. :lol: