Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
bryans fan

Re: Bang! Zoom! Straight to the moon!

Post by bryans fan »

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this master class on how to restore /conserve a machine. Done with integrity. CoNgRaTs !!GOODJOB!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks Bryfan, just figure you need to put back at least as much as you take from this site to keep the equilibrium. Without Penny Machines and all the collectors filling it my work would've suffered terribly! So many large and small mysteries of mine have been solved right here in cyberspace thanks to the help of others who appreciate all the small details that make up these fascinating machines. Cheers to everyone's help and a great 2017. !!CHEERS!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Doing some more research today trying to find exactly what the top glue on trim piece for this marquee looks like and went through my old AAM mags to look at Steve Hunt adverts as I remembered he was trying to buy BMCo machines. Found this Wineasy photo in a mag dated Jan 2003 with my style marquee but missing the trim. On closer inspection it's your marquee PM! I scanned and blew it up to size and laid it over your marquee and they are one and the same, though the advert photo doesn't enlarge well here of course. The woodgrain never lies, easy matches are the V grain in the middle of the top section (partly covered by the black line added by PM on his ) and the small triangular lighter wood piece just to the right of "T" in the word Latest.
Attachments
marquee2.jpg
bmco wineasy hunt.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:lol: I was careful never to call it my marquee, because, as your brilliant sleuthing has revealed - it's Steve Hunt's. He kindly lent it me to copy (a long time ago) and it was only your query that reminded me I still had it. I didn't know it was part of a complete machine. :o I must return it to him at the first opportunity, and hopefully retrieve something he owes me at the same time...

I think the arched glued-on piece should have a moulding profile similar to the edges of the machine top.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Well thank goodness that non-mystery has been solved. I feel a right Scooby Doo. I'm sure you would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those darn meddling kids. What other spare part crimes have you tried to pull the wool over our eyes with all these years!?! Though isn't the UK law fairly strict about the lax return of borrowed vintage machine parts? Pretty sure the sentencing had something to do with hard labour in an electronics workshop repairing solid state Gottlieb pinball MPU's and Space Invader circuit boards!...#$%^*)$%&*( !OMFG! :dammit: !PUNISH! !!JUNK!! :smash: !!SUICIDAL!! '!' !!ESCAPE!! :cry:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:What other spare part crimes have you tried to pull the wool over our eyes with all these years!?!
I have a machine Clive Baker lent me about 20 years ago. I told him he can have it back as soon as he remembers what it is. !!DIABLO!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Time is such a weird concept..............I vividly remember watching a news report about it being 20 since Sgt Peppers was released, the year was 1987, and as I was born in 1969 that seemed like forever ago!?! Now 20 years ago seems like only.... yesterday, and all my troubles seemed so far away....... !!UHOH!! I've now been working on machines for 4/5ths of my life, believe it or not I started restoring for my father in the late 70's! To keep me off the streets a tad my folks made me go into the workshop for a weeks work every school holidays from 9 years old. And being the boss's son I was the lowest of the low, below even the work experience kids. My dad operated a lot of pool tables from the 60's onwards and by this time they needed decent work. So once the workers there knew I was coming in they'd save up the crappiest jobs for me, literally a pile would be awaiting me. Quite often I had to sand and polish alloy feet and corners from tables that had had the old chrome already stripped, leaving me looking pitch black by the end of the day. Then I had to paint strip the old finish from the tables, re-stain, then varnish. And the first time the chippy (not sure if you call carpenters that in the UK?) told me everything I needed was laid out ready to go. So after a full day working outside the table looked great. I proudly showed the chippy my job and he just laughed, saying look at your brown hands, why didn't I ask for rubber gloves because it'd be a week until the stain wore off.................... :oops: And he was one of yours, a Pommie!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

From what I could decipher this is pretty close to what the pediment piece should look like. All routing is done so next job is an oval pattern to cut the glass.
Attachments
bmco trim glued.jpg
bmco pediment edge.jpg
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Looking fantastic mate.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Absolutely brilliant mate :) you have some talent. !!THUMBSX2!!