Haunted house automaton

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
moonriver

Re: Haunted house automaton

Post by moonriver »

Yes, I'll do that and post some pics when it's done.
I also bought the Opera Singers from Australia from Simon's Salvage and had them shipped. The figures are in a very poor and fragile state and it will be a huge task to restore them, but just about to start. The cabinet thankfully is metal and all sides bolted together, so that all came apart and flat packed (minus the glass, timber and plywood left behind). The power supply and record player and cams and everything else survived and will restore.
The figures were originally made in 1952 by Len Insull Jnr for Modern Enterprises and they cased them and made them coin op.
Modern Enterprises sold out to Ruffler and Walker within a couple of years, and R&W badged them up as their own, but the figures (Laughing Sailors, Cry Baby, Sidney Knows, etc) were all high quality Insull made.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Nice one Moonriver, bet that was not cheap shipping back here and in the queue of projects. At least it will hopefully live for another era of followers....

Do you operate your machines anywhere, as I definitely will be planning my road trip of arcade visits this year?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

If you're up in Leeds and Bradford, West Yorkshire you could visit Abbey House Museum at Kirkstall Abbey. Lovely museum with victorian cobbled street inside. I have working models there.
Or
Old Penny Arcade at Woodbank Nurseries and Garden Centre, Harden, Bingley, near Bradford.
scorpa163

Post by scorpa163 »

Moonriver's small arcade at Bingley is certainly worth a visit with some superb two player machines (Cycle Race, Grand National, Footballers) as well as the usual bandits, allwins etc. Unsure how to upload photos. It's a while since I visited Abbey house museum, looks like I need to go again.
Whilst in Yorkshire, Treefrog, visit Scarborough, the best seaside town in the UK.
The Scarborough Fair collection is worth a visit, although the arcade machine area was not operational last visit two years ago, but the organ and fairground collection is very good.
There's an arcade on the seafront (Silver Dollar) which has 9 Bryans machines working on 2p.
All the best with your road trip.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

scorpa163 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 pmUnsure how to upload photos.

How to upload & post images
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thank you Moonriver and Scorpa123... Will definitely try and get there, and hopefully report back on the experience. !!THUMBSX2!!