Oh Boy Gum vending machine

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
runner

Oh Boy Gum vending machine

Post by runner »

I recently acquired this vintage (possibly around the 1930s), Oh Boy gum vending machine. Can't find another picture of one. I asked the previous owner about the history of the machine. She had bought it in 1979 from an antiques shop in Southampton. The owner of the shop knew nothing of its history. She had tried the library, spoken to elderly people, but no-one had heard of it.

She even wrote to 'old codgers' in the Daily Mail but they had not heard of it either. Over the years she had tried to find out more information about it, but alas to no avail. Any information from you fine people appreciated.

It's missing a part at the bottom. I will take it to the locksmiths to see if the lock can be opened at the top. Also I need some advice on how best to preserve the existing decals. Do I use a wax or similar product, or just leave it as it is?

Many thanks.
Attachments
https://www.vinterior.co/
https://www.vinterior.co/
DSCF4213a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Oh Boy gum vending machine

Post by badpenny »

Howdy .....

I imagine you've seen the pages of sites containing examples and history of Oh Boy Gum on Google?

BP :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Oh Boy gum vending machine

Post by pennymachines »

Does the vendor read, 'BRITISH & BOY IT'S PURE'?

I'm guessing this isn't the same Oh Boy gum made by the Goudey Gum Co. of Boston, Massachusetts in the 1920s. Maybe they had to change the name, which could account for the obscurity.
runner

Re: Oh Boy Gum vending machine

Post by runner »

Looks to read, 'BRITISH & BEST - BOY IT'S PURE'. I had seen the cigarette cards advertised on ebay from America and Oh Boy gum. I shall research it further with the Boston company. Thanks for the info.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Made by British Chewing Sweets Ltd. of Slough.
runner

Post by runner »

Thank you for the info, Brigham, I will research this.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The enamel sign has the saying "Pick a ninny." In the US, "picaninny" was a pejorative insult historically used to describe black children. What is the British interpretation of the phrase?

J Peterson
Picking up the pieces in USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It has the same connotation, but judging by the very white-faced character, I suspect that's not what the advertisers had in mind. A ninny is just a fool or simpleton, so maybe they're suggesting you'd have to be one to buy these sweets? :o

Re. preserving the graphics, I think you just need to keep it clean and dry.

brigham wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 am Made by British Chewing Sweets Ltd. of Slough.

Well done Brigham - you proved we have a better class of old codger than the Daily Mail!
Following your lead, I found only two Google references to the company: on page 7 of the Slough, Eton & Windsor Observer, 17th August 1928, and an Internet Archive electronic OCR scan of The Chemist and Druggist, July 14, 1928, listing companies attending a Confectionery Exhibition in Kensington that year:
The Chocolate and Confectionery Exhibition, which was opened on July 9 at Olympia New Hall, Kensington, London, W., and organised by the Manufacturing Confectioners' Alliance Incorporated, is the first national exhibition devoted solely to confectionery and its manufacture. Foreign firms as well as British are among the 171 exhibitors, and the exhibition is thoroughly representative. The exhibition will be open until July 17. Many lines were of interest to chemists....
...British Chewing Sweets, Ltd., samples of Oh Boy chewing gum.
runner

Post by runner »

Great stuff guys, what I would give to be at that exhibition!
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

bd92_2.jpg
bd92_2.jpg (13.19 KiB) Viewed 4189 times

Never seen another. I bought mine many years ago. The graphics were so poor that I could hardly work out the picture of the boy. It wasn't until I came across a picture on the net a few years later that I figured it out.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

It was the only machine I have ever owned that vended on a half penny.

I gave it a new lease of life.
Attachments
IMG_0472a.jpg
runner

Post by runner »

Wow, never thought I would see another machine, and good to see how it would have looked when it was new, and what the bottom part of the machine looks like that is missing on mine. Made my day that has.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Was 'Drawer' wrongly spelt on the original?
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

HEY... Good Point. I don't know now. Machine long gone. Might have been a dyslexic moment on my part. I have been known to have them. :oops:
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Just had a look through my old pictures and yes a Newbie mistake at the time. It was one of the first machines I ever restored so I can forgive myself for the minor matter.
Attachments
P1010041a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Some folk would have preferred the machine in 'original' condition.
I'm not one of them. There's a limit to originality, and that one's a long way over it!
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I have a 100 plus original vendors that I would never touch but I’ve had many more that needed something.
runner

Post by runner »

Just got back from the locksmiths who managed to get her open, just means now the machine can be mounted on a wall again, the screws holding the gum drawer are seized solid though, wd 40 time I think, I have enclosed some close up pics of the front decals as well.
Attachments
DSCF4251a.jpg
DSCF4250a.jpg
DSCF4248a.jpg
DSCF4244a.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Well done. Looks all complete in there.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I always find that Plus Gas is better than the ubiquitous WD40 for freeing seized bolts and nuts. It's also available in non spray can, so you don't have to coat all the surrounding items too.