Chuddy machine

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Chuddy machine

Post by badpenny »

Like so many of us my prime objective in this hobby is the machines I knew from when I was young and good looking.
Over the years I have wandered off track and been tempted by Goose Neck three reelers and other exotic beasties from far foreign places. However I will always be dragged back in line by a bedraggled pup in need of a warm home.

A couple of weeks ago I came across this Vendor on old penny. It's unusual to find these on pre-decimal as conversion only involved removing 4 bolts, slipping out the original mech unit and sliding in the new one.
A bit of research reminded me of a story I read at the end of the last century of a row of seaside promenade shops that were modernised in the late 60s early 70s. Then because every thing that comes around goes around, the same shops were given the old fashioned look 25 years later and they dragged off the aluminium and plaster rock facing they'd stuck up previously. The local newspaper showed a photo of one of the workmen standing in front of a handful of wall mounted vendors they'd discovered when they pulled down the cladding.

Of course I can't now find the story anywhere, so although there's no direct link the bloke I got it from found it in a salvage yard in the 80s in the same neck of the woods, so perhaps? Whatever its antecedents, it had 150 old pennies inside and a couple or two hundred jelly beans in a solid lump. So it didn't take much more than a strip down and a bit of a tart up.
It's now working again and even gives a double portion every 4th penny.
All metal, not a piece of plastic (except for the sweetie hopper) anywhere in its construction.
Anybody any idea of the manufacturer?

BP
Attachments
Graphics
Graphics
It has a rear bracket for wall mounting and a base mounting for shelf or pole mounting.
It has a rear bracket for wall mounting and a base mounting for shelf or pole mounting.
aristomatic

Re: chuddy machine

Post by aristomatic »

I have got two of these fabulous vendors left in my collection. They also did the same machine with a card vendor attached to the right. I seem to think we have discussed these previously though?

They also produced that football bagatelle game of course. The manufacturer had a thin metal embossed plate riveted horizontally under the handle and above the vendor flap. It reminds of question at the time, as to how you were supposed to remove the 'thank you' etched insert in the metal vendor flap to rechrome and then refit afterwards without damaging either of these two individual parts.
special when lit

Re: Chuddy machine

Post by special when lit »

Mastermatic?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Yes Mastermatic.

Here's a picture of one of my remaining two standalone gumball machines. I once bought around 20 of the gumballs with attached card vendor. They were found in the loft of chap who had a number of newsagent shops in the South West in the sixties. They all had same issue that the perspex had yellowed significantly over time, so I sold them off once I figured how the card vendor worked. The vendors were still jammed full of collector cards. Unfortunately, they were all thr same series, some tales of Robin Hood...? If they had been football or cricketers the haul of cards would have been worth more than the vendors themselves...

Here's a picture of the serial plate.
Attachments
20201117_163214.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nice, thanks for the photie.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So once we got over the excitement of Xmas without visitors, I turned my attention back to the above machine.
I was finding it hard to live with the reality that it looked deplete as it was missing its embossed manufacturer's plate on the front.

As I suspected Sainsbury's were useless and because they're closing down, Debenhams have no intention of ordering anything in.
Then a friend on here mentioned bespoke brass denominators and I was reminded that back in the 80s I got involved with a bunch of Stationary Engine enthusiasts who were in the market for brass plates that said "Drain", "Oil Daily" and other such cute essentials. Thus I was introduced to The Dark Art of Acid Etching. This involves blacking out (creating an etch resist) of what you wanted to keep and using the chemical to eat away the field. You ended up with a raised surface of words and a slightly sunken field. I used to paint borders and apply Lettraset for the wording.
It's basically the same process that the electronics industry have been using for years to manufacture PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards like this https://www.superhouse.tv/tag/pcb/)
Now I was contemplating recreating as accurately as I could an example of something that actually existed. A more upmarket kettle of fish and no mistake.
To cut a long story sideways I started off with the picture above that aristomatic posted upside down.
I was astonished I was able to enlarge it accurately, straighten it and most importantly bend it so the perspective trapezoid shape was corrected into an oblong with right angles at each corner. All while maintaining the accuracy and continuity of the original sign detail.
The final stage being to nickel plate the border and lettering.
The end result being this .....
IMG_3197.JPG

It's taken a month of trial and error to perfect, and I've had to learn a lot of new swear words too. But I got there.
It's not a quick operation, I needed to obtain stuff I didn't already have and it is labour intensive because there are hours of waiting for stages to go off or pieces to hang around in FeCl3 40% for the critical moment.
However I think the outcome is worth it.
So perhaps I'll have a bash now at some brass "Penny Play" or "Keep your sodding bent & thin coins to yourselves" signs.

BP %|%

I'm always more than happy to share knowledge with like minded enthusiasts so if enough of you want me to, I'll follow up this post with step by step details on what's involved/needed. Only if you want though as I'm aware there is nothing more annoying than the newly converted enthusiastically boring your arse off while going into great detail over the unnecessary and bleedin' obvious. !SMARTY!
grains

Post by grains »

Wow badpenny, that's a fantastic result. Look forward to hearing a lot more about the process and the new swear words.
Is this for smaller items or would it be possible to etch a Hi Top award card using this process?
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Impressive result from an upside down image BP

Any advice how to remove the embossed clear section out of metal flap surround?

For Grains Re: 1940's Hi Top restoration questions?
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

I for one would like to know what you used to produce the photo resist mask. It's highly unlikely that I would fall asleep during an explanation although I did used to make my own PCBs as a lad. Later, when I was gainfully(?) employed in the electronics industry, we had a chap who did it for us. Always a much safer option where baths of dangerous liquids are concerned.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

badpenny wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:02 pm
I'm always more than happy to share knowledge with like minded enthusiasts so if enough of you want me to, I'll follow up this post with step by step details on what's involved/needed. Only if you want though as I'm aware there is nothing more annoying than the newly converted enthusiastically boring your arse off while going into great detail over the unnecessary and bleedin' obvious. !SMARTY!
Yes please CoNgRaTs CoNgRaTs , sharing personal experience of how to do stuff is so much more interesting than just looking it up on google.
Go on , you know you want to! Thanks for sharing.
grains

Post by grains »

aristomatic wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:15 pm Impressive result from an upside down image BP

Any advice how to remove the embossed clear section out of metal flap surround?

For Grains Re: 1940's Hi Top restoration questions?
Thanks aristomatic for the link - this will be ideal to create my missing award card.