My new old Allwin

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
walternewton

Re: My new old Allwin

Post by walternewton »

treefrog wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:48 pm
walternewton wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:40 pm As I piddled trying to find a new spring (you should have seen the old one), I still noticed that the ratchet would get stuck, and if I moved the ratchet by hand, the ball would drop.

Walter from Conifer, Colorado USA.
Hopefully you didn’t drink too many beers before you started work on the machine :HaHa:
What machine? :!?!:
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

Can anyone tell me what this knurled knob inside my Allwin does?
Attachments
allwin_knurled_knoba.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

walternewton

Post by walternewton »

Pennymachine ... thanks for those links, now I know what that knurled knob is for.

But your links lead me to new questions.

What do I have? A German machine, a British machine, a British-modified machine?

To make this simple, here is a pic of the inside front door and the cabinet.
Attachments
allwin_inside.JPG
allwin_inside-fron_door.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

My guess is British, based on two things only - absence of a disabled reserve ball mechanism (unless you can find some), and the carved pediment. For some reason, German games didn't go in for carved pediments. They sometimes had shaped, uncarved ones though. Bolland shows one quite similar to yours in their advert for re-vamped German allwins, and I've seen the same design on several allwins here. In itself it doesn't help distinguish between UK re-vamp or UK manufacture.

Edit to add - changed my mind already. The didn't frequently employ carved pediments, but sometimes they did - like this original German Climax, with a pediment like the one in the advert. Frustrating, but sometimes it's hard to say anything definitive about these allwins.
Attachments
5fec7504-11a4-4d74-b02c-27251f3a9d18.jpg
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

This much I can say, the red background on my Allwin, on the playfield, is plastic.

This makes me think a revamp after WWII.

It's certainly not Bakelite or some other material.

And I noticed a lot of the early Allwin pictures I've seen on this forum, don't have the lower door to the cash.

Mine does.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As if to prove a point, it seems the Germans don't know who made Climax, or if it is in fact German or British. Armand at Antik Automaten says this:
Armand wrote:By chance I have now exposed the "Climax". His original name is "The Amuser" and is an Allwin from England.
How he arrived at that I don't know, but the example above appears to have a Dutch instruction card. :!?!:
joerg_gm

Post by joerg_gm »

Hi =)

"Jentzsch & Meerz" produced a lot of Allwin machines with reserve in the late 1920s and the early 1930s. Due to strict gambling laws the machines were forbidden in Germany. The only version produced for the German market was the "Elektro":
el_1.jpg

el_2a.jpg

See more pictures of that machine on my website: https://alte-spielautomaten.de/automaten/elektro/

J&M exported a lot of their Allwins under different names like "Climax", "Allwin Deluxe" or "Winalot". They are mostly the same machines with small differences in the decoration of the playing field, casing and payout. They were produced for the English and Dutch market.
You can find "J&M"-markings on the back of the payout-cups and other parts of the machines. They also have the words "Made in Saxony" on the instruction card.

Videos:

Elektro (J&M):

Climax (J&M):

Allwin De Luxe (J&M):

cheers,
Joerg