Head Ball, Swing It, It's Easy, Steer-A-Boat, British Tank

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
coppinpr

Head Ball, Swing It, It's Easy, Steer-A-Boat, British Tank

Post by coppinpr »

My www.penny-arcade.info site has recently acquired what is sometimes referred to as "the Holloway collection" of early slot machine photos. These will form a new section on the website. At the moment I'm scanning the negatives and doing what I can to repair and improve the quality, some are very poor, many of the photos are over 75 years old, some of the photos are photos of older photos (and many of the machines in the photos are much older) every scan reveals another rare machine but these two really caught my eye today, I've never seen the like, anyone have any details? Head Ball?? two gangs of metal men appear to try and head the large ball into the other player's net? :o while the other machine puts a new meaning to the word "TILT".
Attachments
the head ball.jpg
swing it.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: I'd like to know a little bit more about these two machines

Post by pennymachines »

The Head Ball was made by London Automatic Machine Company in 1926 (page 140, Nic Costa's Automatic Pleasures). As can be seen by the delivery hole in the backdrop, the ball is large, and bounces over the footlallers' heads as they bob up and down, controlled by the two levers. Clive operates one, and there are a few others scattered around in collector hands. We have previously discussed Stevenson & Lovett's Swing-It. Very few seem to have survived.
Attachments
Clive's Headball
Clive's Headball
Headball: London Automatic Machine Co.
Headball: London Automatic Machine Co.
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

There was a Head Ball in Mablethorpe in the 70s. I can't quite remember which arcade at the minute. Likely Jacksons Radio. Played it a few times.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Yes, we operated the Head Ball at the Manchester Football Museum. It's an interesting concept but the game is over far too quickly usually only within several seconds. However it's far better than any of the footballers for taking money as the footballer machines look nice but the game can go on and on and even have the ball abandoned whilst still in play sometimes, as players (especially younger ones) get bored.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Is there something missing from this machine? If not, how does the ball get to the playfield !PUZZLED!
Attachments
its easy 2 aa1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

"It’s Easy" - the ball shoots up the covered metal channel on the far right of the playfield to enter the loop. These vertical bagatelles, made by Bollands and BMCo. are dropcase games, not allwins. See Pin Royal in the Museum.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

First, congrats on the pictures! I can't wait for the new site section to be revealed.

Any idea what the gameplay of Swing It is? Does the wheel tilt the playfield left and right?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Any idea what the gameplay of Swing It is? Does the wheel tilt the playfield left and right?
See the link posted above by Mr P.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Here are three very sad photos... Try not to cry :cry: and before anyone asks for the address, these photos are over 30 years old. :#:
Attachments
damaged3.jpg
damaged 1.jpg
damage 2.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Sad indeed, but look on the bright side - if they did rot away or were scrapped as many were 40 to 50 years ago, then machines that have survived become more sought after with values increasing year on year.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

steer a boat1.jpg

Here are two odd large case machines, the first from the same maker as Polo etc. I'm sure the forum has discussed it before but I've not seen it before. Single-player and a machine that would seem full of problems for the operator. Like the "ant viewer", too much trouble for the average operator. Does anyone know how the boat was controlled? Magnets? !PUZZLED!

the british tank.jpg

The second, "The British Tank", I suspect was a refurbished machine using an earlier case? Not sure what the tank did but I believe the tank moved and there was a shooter aspect?
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The Steer-A-Boat did work with a magnet. On the bridges was a snag to catch the aerial on the boat as it passed through, meaning the boat stopped and the magnet moved on without the boat. I had one of these machines in a wooden case similar to the Ahrens football two player game with an enamel marque. The main problem was water evaporation, so I ran mine on light oil. This was the only one I knew to survive.

These Ahrens machines were often made in very small numbers and if unsuccessful maybe not added to a prototype. I sold/swapped mine with a well known collector in California who also owns part of the tank game. However, I do not know how the game worked. He did contact me to see if I could help when he bought it to ask if I knew anyone who had a complete game. I did not, but sent him a copy of the picture you have.