What is Great Britain coming to?

Enter the Honourable Judge's favourite tavern for a dram of Tittle Tattle. There's an ancient bandit in the corner, but I forget his name...
john t peterson

What is Great Britain coming to?

Post by john t peterson »

My good neighbor, Brother Bill, just returned from an extended trip to London and various environs around York. His lovely wife is a British lass originally from York and they go back every other year or so. He brought back the most disturbing news from his latest vacation. In the local neighborhood pubs, they now serve Miller and Budweiser beer, on tap. :NBG:

My beloved Englishmen, have you no pride? Of all the American products available for export: buffalo wings; krispy creme donuts; pickled pigs feet; Sarah Palin; Walmart; and you had to choose American beer? And very poor American beer at that? What is Great Britain coming to??

What's next? Tofu and chips?

Take me now, Lord.

J Peterson
American Aghast
andydotp

Re: What is Great Britain coming to?

Post by andydotp »

Oh dear me! :-(
I cannot concur more with our American friend's sentiments....what happened to 'our' (now I'm an Ozzie) Foster's????

Here's an obtuse Pommy/Aussie beer-related observation for you...
Opposite The Broadfiled, my Sheffield 'local' was once displayed a billboard poster of (then) Britain's Greatest Living DJ Alan 'Fluff' Freeman spruiking the delights of Skol Lager. His smiling face & the words "Fancy a pint,,not half".
"not half" was one of his 'Fluffisms".
I discovered some years later that he was indeed,,,,,,,,Australian.
Yes, Mr. P, "what is Great Britain coming to" indeed? (Hope yr OK over there just now & America will just clean up & move on as it has the capacity & will to do).
Regards,
adotp
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

John T. Peterson wrote: In the local neighborhood pubs, they now serve Miller and Budweiser beer, on tap. :NBG:
They found a pub??
In England..??
and it was still OPEN!!!!!
Where was it I need to know !!CHEERS!!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

You chaps are obviously very out of date. Didnt you realize that a curry washed down with a Budweiser or a Fosters is now our National Dish :!?!:

(as further proof .....I cant even spell REALISE with an S without being corrected by the spell-checker)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We already have Buffalo Wings, Walmart own ASDA (second largest chain in UK) and we too have major shares in all the pointless wars.

As for Miller and Budweiser beer on tap?
A rose created in an old Dickensian Brewery hidden away in some obscure part of England merely taken out of mothballs after last making (hardly brewing) Watney's Red Barrel in order to churn out something that is marketed as American Beer wouldn't taste so bad ...... just worse.

As to your question ..... What is Great Britain coming to?

End of the line mate.
All change please, the handcart to Hell leaves in minutes.
Would all young people ensure they have their degree certificates in pointless subjects with them as there's a shortage of toilet paper in Hell.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Aye Lad, them wer't days....
Minimum eight peents a neet, then we'd stumble over to The Everest on London Road.
"fifteen pints of lager & a plate of papadums please waiter"....
(For the uninitiated, pubs shut at 10PM then but you could buy as much piss as you liked from the curry houses as long as there was food ordered too.... plus, the waiters' rellies would be conveniently parked outside in their cabs to drive us home,, to the house we rented from Mr Singh (not his real name - it was Khan) who'd pop around every fortnight to pick up all the giros that were delivered for numerous of his offspring).
Lovely bloke, best landlord I ever had.
Yes, them wer't days.... !!ESCAPE!!
ap.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Fear not John - things ain't so bad. One thing we Brits are still best at is having a good old moan.

Moan 1: About a third of the cost of a pint is tax.
Moan 2: We pay over 40% of the EU beer tax bill but consume only 13% of the beer sold in Europe. (Thanks to an online petition, the beer tax is due to be debated in parliament).
Moan 3: Around 16 pubs close every week in the UK (according to CAMRA).

But on the bright side... it's never been easier to get a decent pint. There are now more breweries in the UK than any time in my life. My local offers a huge selection of well kept cask ales. When you're paying £3 or more, it makes sense to be a bit fussy.

Speaking as a beer snob... I prefer mine bitter and amber.
I tried Millers many years ago and felt inclined not to do so again. But, if there was no better option than larger, I wouldn't object to Budweisser, provided it was the Czechoslovakian brew and not that bland stuff from the States.

Speaking as a chocolate snob... I prefer mine bitter and dark.
How come Cadbury's Dairy Milk, which contains too much vegetable fat to be called chocolate in the US is sold and manufactured there, under the Cadbury label, by The Hershey Company in Pennsylvania? I found a Hershey's chocolate bar in a London supermarket. How can this be America's favourite chocolate brand? It tastes worse than Ex-Lax!
Attachments
hersheys-ex-lax.jpg
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Suggest against clicking on this link. NOTE BY MODERATOR : The 'link' Andy refers to is NOT the above posting by Pennymachines but another posting which has now been deleted Mods please check it out.
My computer just screamed 'threat alert' and shut down........
andy.p
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Hi Andy, I had my suspicions too, but never proceeded further to download the suspect files. I've deleted the relevant posts and no doubt if they were genuine the member can come back and clarify what they are.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I removed one yesterday full of Spam and links, seems our Defcon needs raising.

My advice to everyone is before clicking on any links posted on the forum check out The Author.

The one I deleted and banned yesterday had just joined and it was the maiden posting.
Copying the log on name and putting it into Google often identifies whether it's a known nuisance.

We still have areas where Guests can post without joining. So use your good judgement with any links from a Guest.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I didn't see the offending posts - so thanks to mods for stepping in and deleting.
My apologies to anyone who suffered the consequences of clicking any links.

Since the Spammers have found our den, I've now restricted Justice Scrutton's Tipple, like the other forum categories, to members only.
So, anyone can read, but you must be registered to post.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Posts were by a registered member though ......strikes after dark while others sleep safely !!BANGBANG!!
registered at 3.16am a couple of days ago and posted about the same time on both days!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ah right... Thanks for that. Offending membership deleted.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I removed a few suspect postings a few days ago !!JUNK!! , not sure if they were infected links but they certainly weren’t slot related, looks like the chap who posted them had signed up just for that purpose. :dammit:
They may come by day or night but we shall be ready to repel them !PUNISH! !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Sounds persistent if it's the same one I banned, he must be rejoining.

He wasn't posting about Makita drills by any chance? You know how obstinate the un-dead can be.