Vintage amusement arcades currently open in the UK

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
ballymad(not in)

Vintage amusement arcades currently open in the UK

Post by ballymad(not in) »

Hi all, thought I'd post in Open Forum since it hasn't been used for ages.
Because I'm in Portsmouth dockyard I stopped by the souvenir shop this morning and they had three old machines inside and wondered if any of you remembered them.
The first is a Laughing Sailor, 20p, not sure of the age.
The second is called Death to a Traitor, where the flyers tell the story of an arsonist in the dockyard who supported the American revolution and is hanged. The machine then stages a hanging in the bottom doors which open to reveal a gallows and the little figure drops through the trap door.
The third machine is a grab machine which it states is 70 years old.
Now I did take some photos and a video but the sun was shining so brightly through the doors it was reflecting on the glass. If you like, I could try again next week when it's not so bright.
Will try and post the ones I took but I don't think the quality will be that great.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: 3 machines

Post by badpenny »

Thanks for that, piccies would be nice. Were there price tags?.......... or did they resemble telephone numbers?
ballymad again

Post by ballymad again »

No, these are in use. Here are some photos. Have I got to be logged in to load photos?
OK if someone wants to talk me through uploading photos I will give it a go :dammit: :dammit:
will

Post by will »

They are Clive's machines.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I saw two of these machines at Weymouth last Thursday in Dorset (the Brewers Quay). The crane machine had the badge "this machine is 70 years old" on it and had been converted to modern money. I saw the hanging machine too. I put my quid in the crane and won a whole wealth of sweets for 7 plays. I remember playing on same machine as a kid with my dad and we used to shake the machine when the claw went in to embed on more goods. Nice to play a crane machine that actually grabs, unlike this modern rubbish today (it had a gauge on it showing Rear, Middle, Front so you could aim it then turn the knob to go left of right). Fantastic bit of kit. I've seen the machines you mentioned too at Portsmouth Navy Docks, they are in the cafe/gift shop.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

ballymad wrote:OK if someone wants to talk me through uploading photos I will give it a go
Here you go: How to Upload Images.
Kay

Post by Kay »

Hi everyone, new user here. In searching for help with a problem I came across this thread. I was in Pompey last year and have been in the cafe/shop numerous times but can't say I remember the grab, but the other 2 are still there in working order. I even feed the machine for the benefit of some youngsters looking on (myself really but gave me an excuse!) Always wanted a laughing sailor (in the glass case!) but can't say I've ever seen one for sale. I can get a pic on if anyone is interested, I'll call my lad to take one, he's based there at the moment. One the subject of glass cased laughing models, is the clown still at Mablethorpe, the one that has a nail holding the plate to his hand, if so I'll take the grandkids to see him, (well we had to put up with him as kids :D )

Regards
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

Hi Kay, Sorry to report but the laughing clown you mention is no longer around! As I remember, it stood at the front entrance of FUNLAND. When the arcade changed hands, the current owner sold it on.
Kay

Re: Sailor, model & crane

Post by Kay »

Hi,
I wouldn't have minded buying him for my porch! Last time I went was about 7 years back and he was at the rear of the arcade near the archery? and kiddies car circuit if I remember correctly. A shame he's gone after so long.

Regards
Kay

Re: Sailor, model & crane

Post by Kay »

Pics of the Pompey Dockyard machines, the Grab machine is still there but as I thought it was gone I didn't 'order' a pic of it so will get one later.
Attachments
Death of Traitor 2.JPG
Death of a traitor.JPG
Laughing sailor 2.JPG
laughing sailor.JPG
coppinpr

Arcade of working models at Portsmouth Naval dockyard

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I may have missed it but Ive never seen any mention of an arcade of working models at the historic naval dockyard at Portsmouth (home of the Victory,Mary Rose, etc) I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw this arcade although it was locked and dark it did seem to be being redecorated,perhaps prior to opening ? Its hard to see right now but looks to be a large number of working models,laughing sailor etc, cant see if they are original or not as yet. Ill be there again on Wednesday of this week and will try to photo. Anyone know more about it?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Arcade of working models at Portsmouth Naval dockyard

Post by badpenny »

I remember this thread from 5 years ago* (Now merged above). So an update would be nice, please.

BP
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Made my visit to Portsmouth Historic dockyard today and found the machines I mentioned above now moved to a cosy corner next to the gents toilets and all marked "out of order". I suspect their new home is being decorated. There are eleven machines in all including a mutoscope, a Laughing Sailor, two cranes and six working models and a fortune teller. I took very quick photos as I needed to remove the out of order signs and I don't think I was supposed to actually be mucking about near them (especially with a camera outside the gents toilets). Please excuse the old duck who appears to be trying to get in with the sailor.
Attachments
wm8.jpg
wm7.jpg
wm6.jpg
wm5.jpg
wm4.jpg
wm3.jpg
wm2.jpg
wm1.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Yes, I'd like all of those please ! When can you deliver them? !!YIPPEE!!
guyblue10

Current List of Old Penny Arcades

Post by guyblue10 »

Hi

I was trying to come up with a list of currently active old penny arcades. Thought I might visit some next year. Here's the list:

Devon - Dingles heritage - penny arcade
Basingstoke - Milestones museum vintage penny arcade
Brighton - Mechanical memories amusement museum
Wookey Hole - Old penny pier arcade / Victorian penny arcade
Tamworth - Drayton Manor - Bryans works museum -
Dudley - Black country museum - The fairground
Stanstead - House on the hill toy museum - Coin operated amusement machines -
Great Yarmouth - Merrivale model village - old penny arcade
Southport - Pier Pavilion
Rye - Heritage centre - penny arcade
Watermouth - Castle museum
Scarborough - Scarborough fair collection
Southwold Pier - Under the pier show

Weston - Woodspring museum - currently closed, opening 2017
Bridlington - Old penny memory museum - pop up museum, currently closed

All the other ones that pop up on the internet and others that have been mentioned on this site over the years I think are no longer there.

Have I missed any?
alan57

Re: Current List of Old Penny Arcades

Post by alan57 »

Chorley - Botany Bay
Eccleston - Bygone Times

Both are in Lancashire and run by the same guy
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Bygones in Torquay had some slots. Not been for a while
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Abbey House Museum, Kirkstall, Leeds. Coin operated wall machines and working models
sarg

Post by sarg »

Trago Mills penny arcade - Newton Abbot is still going.