Allwin Skill

General vintage slot machine related topics.
margamatix

Re: New topic please

Post by margamatix »

Anonymous wrote:Can the administrator or moderator create a new topic for these bandit posts, as has already been suggest and move all these message to that topic. This is an interesting subject, but is nothing to do with Allwin Skill. It should have a topic to itself. (and then delete this message)

Site Admin: Yes, I wanted to split this, but the two topics are so entwined there's no way without making it (even more) incomprehensible.

Well, that seems to have killed the topic stone-dead.

Could we not make it a rule that people have to register before they can post?
Bent Copper

Re: New topic please

Post by Bent Copper »

margamatix wrote:Well, that seems to have killed the topic stone-dead.
Could we not make it a rule that people have to register before they can post?
That's a bit of an extreme reaction. Any registered poster could have suggested the same thing. It's not the poster's fault that the topic was hijacked, he's only suggesting the glaringly obvious. I myself suggested that a new topic be created when I could see what was about to happen. Unfortunately, the administrators failed to deal with it then and the inevitable happened. Now, nobody knows whether this topic is about Allwins or Bandits.

Why a new Bandit Skill topic can't be created and the Bandit posts moved to it, I don't know. If they can't be moved, then the administrators should create a new topic and post a red message here along the lines of "This topic for the discussion of Allwin Skill only. All Bandit Skill discussion to take place here [link]" and then we would know what's going on.

When the topics have been split, then we might be able to get back to meaningful discussion again on both subjects, but if truth were told, maybe we've said all there is to be said?
walternewton

Re: Allwin Skill

Post by walternewton »

I went through all seven pages of this topic, and I noticed opinions that almost hit upon something I have always thought about on Allwins.

Take the seven hole, straight across the top, buckets.

Short of a ball coming off of the rail and heading straight down into a hole, the ball is always going to deflect off a pin, to the right or left (lose holes).

I'm not strong on math or geometry, but I know enough that the arc of the ball, coming onto a pin, will deflect with a similar arc to the right or left.

The only other way to keep it from doing that, short of dropping it straight down to a hole, is if the ball comes onto the pins at a decreased velocity, therefore still bouncing with an opposite arc, but much shorter and possibly bouncing into another win hole.

If a ball, with enough velocity, hits a pin, it will go right or left, and those metal troths at both sides will guide the ball into a lose hole.

This is simple physics, and it is what makes so many fun fair games appear easy, but almost cannot be beat. As a former "carnie" as they call us in the states, I've seen so many, what they call "scientific games" work off this same principle.

Object comes in at a certain angle, object hits a solid, unmovable object, object recoils in the opposite direction.

Very little skill in an Allwin, unless the mechanics, ball guides, shooter, pins etc. are worn and not working to optimum.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Strangely I don't believe anybody addressed the major factor in the classic allwin layout (only two losing holes at either end) that have cast channel on either side of the two losing cups. Those end channels being cast brass, which will stop the steel balls dead with no bounce, as opposed to the spring steel pins. So I've found that by landing the ball as central as possible in the holes allows for the highest chance of not hitting those end channels, thus allowing a higher chance of winning. Of course this was something most punters never knew or figured out in the short term.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Isn't 14 years a bit early to be raking over the coals on this?

BP !!UHOH!! !!ESCAPE!!
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

Well, I just got here about three weeks ago.

So ...

I still think it's a fact, the physics dictate that the ball, hitting a pin in the middle, will deflect in the opposite direction, with a little less velocity, but enough for the end cups to grab it.

Barely no skill, mostly laws of physics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Suppose you had a precision firing mechanism (instead of a sweaty thumb) with which you could reliably shoot the ball so it hit within millimetres of the centre of the Elevenses gallery, or within millimetres of the last cup on the end of the gallery. Would it make no difference to average returns which target you chose?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

gameswat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:37 pm the classic allwin layout (only two losing holes at either end
I'm not getting into the 14 year discussion, just being a little "picky" about the quote above.

The classic allwin layout has no losing holes on the gallery only the loose drain hole..that's why it was called an "allwin" :D
walternewton

Post by walternewton »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:37 am I'm not getting into the 14 year discussion, just being a little "picky" about the quote above
I'm sorry, my mistake.

I won't do it again :)
cait001

Post by cait001 »

brb building an allwin shooter robot
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I'm sorry, my mistake.
you didnt make a mistake..did you? :!?!: