Alsacorp EasyChrome

General vintage slot machine related topics.
ls14garlo

Alsacorp EasyChrome

Post by ls14garlo »

:o Has anyone seen this company's product....EasyChrome? Going by the demo video on their website it looks like a pretty good finish ( after prep and priming :didact: ). $199 direct from them but maybe cheaper elsewhere?? Full kit available from them for $279.... I've never had to get anything re-chromed but after reading some comments on here the finish can be hit and miss and you still pay a lot of money no matter what it turns out like. I suppose it would end up as good as you're prepared to prep it. At least you are in control of the quality and parts wouldn't need sending off? Just thought I'd post this after it popped up in my Facebook feed... Could be worth a try guys, eh? !!THUMBSX2!!https://alsacorp.com/
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Alsacorp EasyChrome

Post by badpenny »

I seem to remember this product being discussed a while back. I can't remember if it was on here or emails with someone.

You're right when you say everything is in the preparation. If you look carefully at the photos of the test piece, first they show it in comparison to a tap, which is itself unpolished and it still looks duller. Then the next photo shows the test piece suspiciously taken with a blue filter.
I don't think the world is too far away from coming up with a really good alternative to chrome plating, but I suspect this isn't it.
It's worth remembering that although commercial chrome plating was developed by Fink & Eldridge at Columbia University in 1924 (Google ..... not my memory) It wasn't really widely used for years. Motor manufacturers were probably the first to invest in doing this pricey process in house.
It's hard to imagine that an industry like slot machine manufacturers would have quickly jumped on the band wagon, especially as there was already a greedy market for their products without having to increase costs for nothing more than titivation.
The arrival of the war and the slow revival after might have slowed the adoption of chrome plating even further. I've certainly owned machines from the 50s that were still only nickel plated.
So although chrome looks better, for the sake of authenticity it's not always correct to go that route.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Chrome is only a clear coating that goes over the top of nickel. It doesn't really look that much different, just a deeper shine I would say.

I got a quote off a company near me for a Jennings top casting to be painted with that chrome technique. They advertised cheaper than chrome plating: £200 + VAT. lol
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

In the last few years I seem to have noticed a move away from re chroming and towards high polishing in our hobby. Costs and poor results on often bad quality base metal as well as more and more comments of chromers promising to be able to do the job and then totally failing seeming to be the main reasons. :!?!:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Tell me about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't believe these paints are a serious alternative to electroplating, although they may be a suitable make-do for certain small jobs.

Firstly, to get the results they show in their videos you probably need quite high spec spraying equipment and facilities, so you're not saving money. Secondly, I very much doubt it matches the durability of electroplating.

This reviewer reports patchy and dull surfaces using Alsa spray cans, which is what I would expect.

The brush on chrome requires a special black gloss undercoat and does look like magic in their videos, but I'm not convinced.