Aristocrat Olympic Take Ten

General vintage slot machine related topics.
jpjim777

Aristocrat Olympic Take Ten

Post by jpjim777 »

Hi Folks,
I Recently acquired an Aristocrat Olympic Take Ten, 1966 and running on 6d's. It spent the last 35+ years in a damp cellar and was consigned to the skip in a big clear out. It was promptly rescued from the skip and opened to reveal innards that were in good working condition. That's the good news. The bad news is that on its visit to the skip the main (lower) display was smashed. Some of the pieces were found but not all and the missing bits have all the useful info.
The mech is a standard Aristocrat mech of the age but has an micro switch that lights a lamp it the top display in certain winning combinations. This is obviously original fit but I have never seen it before.
Does anyone have any info on this model, I can find no reference to it at all. A photo of a machine that shows the panel would be really helpful, and any info on its operation would be a great help and much appreciated.
Cheers.
JPJim
aristomatic

Re: Aristocrat Olympic Take Ten

Post by aristomatic »

Trawl through this and the associated thread for info, and/or search more thoroughly than my two mins., as I'm currently waiting in for the courier to dump half a dozen Mills slots and parts onto the hall floor.....

There were a number of different options utilised. Post a picture of what you actually have - it can only assist.

Aristocrat Olympic Top Score - What's it do?
Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'
Attachments
aristocrat take tenauction.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

I love these machines with electric 'gimmicks', although I've never seen one on an Aristo.
Probably best to get the machine working properly, and worry about the feature later.
Incidentally, anyone know why it's called 'Take Ten' ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Because 10 X 6d = 5/- ????
jpjim777

Post by jpjim777 »

Many thanks to all you folks. Wow what a fast response. Absolutely Brilliant !!

Yes this machine could be quite a challenge, I like a challenge..... The cabinet is very rusty at the base, holes and bits missing, stored on the damp cellar floor so no surprise there, but the rest of it is ok. The lock was drilled out but only after the crow bar had failed to work. All the chrome is there, unfortunately no longer attached to the steel. The mech is the good news, not bad at all, the reels could do with new strips, they are a bit tatty. Any advice on renewing the reel strips would be most welcome.

Now just for the record, it is called Take Ten because.......You stake a tanner and 2 tanners make 1 bob, so the winning 5 bob is 10 tanners ! Easy peasy !
Thanks again folks.
JPJim.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jpjim777 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:50 pm Now just for the record, it is called Take Ten because.......You stake a tanner and 2 tanners make 1 bob, so the winning 5 bob is 10 tanners ! Easy peasy !
Yup, that's right ……
It's why I said: -
badpenny wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:17 pm Because 10 X 6d = 5/- ????
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Not Sure It Is?
brigham

Post by brigham »

Sounds precarious.
Perhaps in Aus. they were more sensible, and it actually paid ten tanners, rather than a five-bob token?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

brigham wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:36 am Sounds precarious.
……… it's up a ladder? !PUZZLED!
brigham

Post by brigham »

The logic, not the machine.
It's up a very rickety ladder, with at least two rungs missing.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

aristomatic wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:02 pm Not Sure It Is?
I think the hot Summer following a severe Winter is addling my brain. What is it you're not sure of aristomatic? That ten tanners is the same as five bob or that the name Take Ten would refer to the punter getting the equivalent as a jackpot?

BP :cool:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I don't have access to the one machine I have that's from the same stable. However, I would be more inclined to believe the "take ten" refers to the number of plays you have during the jackpot feature, before machine returns to normal play? e.g. take ten shots to win another 5 bob each time?
brigham

Post by brigham »

That would make more sense, if it were so.
Although you would think they would advertise the fact; it certainly looks like a good deal.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good explanation.
I had no idea it has electricical gubbins apart from OP's comment about a micro switch that puts on a light.

From the outside it looks like a bog standard Arcadian. I also have never seen one with the kind of wiring loom, solenoids, relays and black magic plastic bits needed to make these mystical things happen.
I'd be very interested to see inside, if only to ensure it went on my "Never go near one" list.

BP :cool:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

They did different types as the previous thread inserted shows internals. If you check through those you will see pictures explaining. Mine is all mechanical with the rotating cam above the revised vertical finger layout. Jackpot pays a token but also actuates the rotating cam feature. Players can win a token on the next 10 plays if the first reel symbol overlay shows.

After 10 plays however the cam resets to normal play.

All mechanical payout just a rotating cam plus a revised vertical finger and spring set up.
A microswitch on some variants is just switched by a cam on and off to feed a light on the panel to show the feature is live.

Not sure where this feature slot could/would have been sited. Presumably devised to get around one of the gaming laws of the time?

Maybe the artwork didn't make it clear on purpose....to avoid scrutiny, so long as Elsie and Jack at the British Legion Club knew?
jpjim777

Post by jpjim777 »

Well folks, I think both reasons are plausible but I will resolve the discussion when I have restored this machine and this feature is working...... this could take a while. I have read that this feature was less than reliable, and this is obviously the case here as it has been disabled, and the artwork altered accordingly, (profesionally I would guess). The feature is purely mechanical, no solenoids etc; the switch is there only to put on a light behind the "10" on the top panel when the bonus is active.

More serious stuff.... the reel strips are very scruffy. I could do the graphics and make some myself, but does anyone know of a better way. I doubt they are available as repros.....Jennings this is not.

Cheers JPJim.

PS. Dave Brubeck only had a 5 minute break in 1959, perhaps this suggests a break twice as long..... to play the machine?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Aristomatic may be right, certainly some of these special award mechanism use a cam which rotates so many times for the winspin......I have exactly the same machine buried somewhere, but it is buried so won’t check for a while.
jpjim777

Post by jpjim777 »

Hi Folks, despite my previous statement involving Tanners and Bobs I think Aristomatic may be correct. Today I worked the ratchet mechanism by hand and I can confirm that once set there appears to be 10 clicks before it reverts to normal play. I have obviously not checked this with a fully functioning mech. So both explanations seem plausable. As has already been stated, the actual reason for the name Take Ten was probably left ambiguous deliberately.
Cheers.
JpJim
whizza

Post by whizza »

I also have a Take10 bandit disguised as 'Lucky Chance'.
As you mention in your posts, I can activate the '10 bonus pulls' feature manually but have never seen the bandit activate the feature automatically. Do you know which winning lines activate it?
Also, when bonus feature is active there doesn't appear to be any additional payouts activated on my bandit. The light goes out after 10 plays. Does your Take10 payout differently during the 10 plays?