Double Bubble vending machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
runner

Double Bubble vending machine

Post by runner »

I recently purchased this Fleer Double Bubble vending machine, in working order but needs the metal surround part for the viewing glass, and was wondering if anybody remembers these. I have seen one in a blue and yellow colour, but not in red, so I am thinking this could be the earliest version? Any views welcome.
Attachments
DSCF3857a.jpg
Last edited by runner on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brigham

Re: Hubba Bubba vending machine

Post by brigham »

Not a familiar sight in Britain, at least not in my little world.
Could it be an unsuccessful attempt to launch another US brand in Britain, just like Cracker Jack?
Or perhaps a shot at the Australian market?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

From Wikipedia: Dubble Bubble is a brand of pink-colored bubblegum invented by Walter Diemer, an accountant at Philadelphia-based Fleer Chewing Gum Company in 1928.[1] One of Diemer’s hobbies was concocting recipes for chewing gum based on the original Fleer ingredients. Though founder Frank Fleer had come up with his own bubble gum recipe in 1906, it was shelved due to its being too sticky and breaking apart too easily. It would be another 20 years until Diemer would use the original idea as inspiration for his invention.

J Peterson
Bubble head, USA
runner

Post by runner »

brigham wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am Not a familiar sight in Britain, at least not in my little world.
Could it be an unsuccessful attempt to launch another US brand in Britain, just like Cracker Jack?
Or perhaps a shot at the Australian market?
Not in the same league as Wrigley's, although I do remember the brand as a youngster.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Are we talking about Hubba Bubba, or Dubble Bubble here?
Hubba Bubba is a Wrigley's brand.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I've had a couple of these machines over the years. Both mine have been white in colour working on old penny. Not sure you can date by colour. The machine is the same as are the graphics, I think.

Just checked the one I have on the wall and I'm missing that frame for the glass too. I attached a piece of perspex with a couple of holes and "job's a gooden."

Nice to see a vending machine on the boards..

Dave
runner

Post by runner »

Brigham: my mistake, should have been Double Bubble, I have corrected the original post.