Nominator?

General vintage slot machine related topics.
treefrog

Nominator?

Post by treefrog »

I am sure you have all seen the badges, awards etc made of resin and low melt metals been on eBay for the last few years. Recently the seller has even been selling silicon moulds with a mix of bandit and wonders bits on the same item. Fair dos to the guy who seems to do many different types of mouldings, where there is a market why not and seems to have sold many items over time. What I can’t work out why every part is called a Nominator, which I could not find in the dictionary. I assume taken from items advertised as denominators and has dropped the de.....

Never bought any of the items as have originals, but anyone tried them and for feedback....
Attachments
FAEA1A53-3CFF-44E5-B88F-8361FA7BA0FF.jpeg
FAEA1A53-3CFF-44E5-B88F-8361FA7BA0FF.jpeg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 3094 times
moonriver

Re: Nominator?

Post by moonriver »

I can see this will be the next thing to look out for at auction, real bits swapped over with fake
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:16 pm What I can’t work out why every part is called a Nominator, which I could not find in the dictionary. I assume taken from items advertised as denominators and has dropped the de.....
Being anally retentive I've been correcting others who insist on "Nominators" for years and always refer to them as denominators.
However the one that tends to rattle my gears more is "Repo" as a shortened version of "Reproduction". Of course it should be "Repro" as "Repo" is an abbreviation of "Repossessed".

I've dabbled in making molds from silicon and casting things in resin. Nothing for machines, but it isn't difficult and good results are achievable. Your problem is if it should look either brass or chromed as there isn't a paint I can find that does the trick.
The resin is light but gives a good hard durable surface, but the low melt temperature metals (Prince August) are soft and damage too easily for things that come into contact with coins or get stressed like the hammer trigger of an allwin.

Roll on the next couple or three generations of 3D printers.

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

badpenny wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:04 pmRoll on the next couple or three generations of 3D printers.
It's not so much the printers that need to improve (my current 3D printer will make many of the parts), it's the solid ink filament that needs to improve. Already the best ABS filaments will make a reasonable coin slide for a Beromat type machine and there are about 6 easy to buy solid ink types available (including one made from wood(?)) but it needs the industrial filaments to trickle through to the everyday user before strong parts can be attempted. Carbon fibre enriched inks are already in use in industry and I believe the big improvement in 3D will be in the inks. It doesn't matter how good the machine is, the part will only be as strong as the filament used to make it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm guessing BP has 3D metal printers in mind. These would/will be a game-changer for us, but the present generation are beyond the pocket of hobbyists, and the metal printing services (as far as I'm aware) still produce expensive shapes with lumpy surfaces.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes I had the metal forming printers in mind, I've been reading up about them. Ignoring 50% of what they say as being exaggerated hype it seems the way to go.
I know you've purchased (or purloined) yourself one Paul and I agree with you that the consumables are the key to success.
I guess we've all learned that lesson with paper printers and new cartridges. I've lost count of how many new printers I've bought since the mid 90s.

I'm interested in the one that uses a wood based ink, I could make my own coffin. It must be better than trusting The Co-op. My Grandma when she learnt they were doing funerals exclaimed …
"Go to The Co-op for your funeral? Ridiculous, you're arse would be hanging out within a week!"

BP :cool: