First machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
geordy55

First machine

Post by geordy55 »

This was the first machine I bought a couple of years ago and it is the first I’ve done a full restoration on (using my limited knowledge)
The plating was totally shot, the escalator didn’t work correctly and the reels had been ‘modified’ to reduce the winning chances. Stripped everything down to components, managed to rebuild without having any leftover screws!
Anyway, since then I’ve now got a further 11 machines which all need some care and attention.
Addictive ? Never !
Attachments
03BC6D91-C235-4DDE-B1D1-4D764E0A7916.jpeg
brigham

Re: First machine

Post by brigham »

Lovely job.
Still on New Penny. Is that your preferred denomination?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Brigham, it was like that and saved having to change the award cards, marquee, coin chute, escalator and payout slides. I like an easy life.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Brilliant looking job! !THUMBS!
Was it re-chromed?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

PM, the chromed had difficulty with the fine splines so I just had it polished.
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Perfect looking chrome! !THUMBS! How did you polished the machine?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I paid a local chroming company to strip what was left of the old chrome and then, because they were not confident of plating chrome into the fine splines on the front, they suggested just polishing the aluminium, which they did.
brigham

Post by brigham »

geordy55 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 pm Brigham, it was like that and saved having to change the award cards, marquee, coin chute, escalator and payout slides. I like an easy life.
Unplayable!
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

“Unplayable! “

Why ?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I assume the comment relates to new coinage, if so, the funny thing is how many times I have sold machines to people who want a machine only on current coinage, not coins they don’t possess, so mixed market......
brigham

Post by brigham »

treefrog wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:59 pm I assume the comment relates to new coinage, if so, the funny thing is how many times I have sold machines to people who want a machine only on current coinage, not coins they don’t possess, so mixed market......
I don't go in for 'up-cycling', not in cars, not in vintage radio, and certainly not in slot machines.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

!PUZZLED! What you mean by upcycled...? Is it a lamp now, and not a slot machine... or are you referring to being on new penny and you have not explained. If conversion to new penny, well a lot of machine companies upcycled most machines... look at Bolands and Olly whales etc etc....
brigham

Post by brigham »

Oliver Whales died in the early 1960s without ever having experienced the horror of (ugh) decimalisation.
The only good aspect of these 'decimal' conversions was that it allowed historic machines to survive long enough for collectors to realise their merit, and restore them for future generations to enjoy.
The same applies with motor cars; it is said that over two-thirds of surviving '32 Fords in the US have done so as a result of being 'hot-rods'.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ah I get it, what you don’t like is decimalisation :HaHa: of course this is no different by your definition to most American machines brought into Britain and converted to British coinage as well as German machines, including clown catchers, Gunter Wulff and many many others long before decimalisation, as well as having changes to awards, colours and whatever they thought would appeal to the customer.....

Decimalisation was forced on everyone for good reasons and companies adapted. It is not upcycling by turning something into another purpose, but extending their life. Some companies of course that were still around made machines in decimal as well as converting them for their customers like Bryans and others...

At the end of the day you can just collect pre decimal, which is great... but there is nought wrong with decimal machines and they have their merits and collectors. ;-)

There are very few Jennings Governors in their original factory state. Most were revamped, with new awards, often new cabinets and graphics. This happened both after and before decimalisation, but people still love and collect them...

Anyway back in my small box. :o
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Well said TF, seems like there’s a bit of pre decimalisation snobbery going on here ?
brigham

Post by brigham »

No snobbery at all.
I have a number of decimal machines; in fact I have a separate room containing only them.
But they are all from the 1970s or '80s. They contain relays and cam controllers, which I love.
My 'dislike' is for decimal conversions.