Sega Monaco restoration

General vintage slot machine related topics.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Sega Monaco restoration

Post by badpenny »

arrgee wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:57 pm Spent many a week in the summer hols at Paignton BP back in the 1950s/60s, I was probably the snotty nosed lad in short trousers banging the machine whilst you were desperately trying to fix them in the back room.

:HaHa: ... I used to wonder what the hell I was going to find, and regularly spent the first couple of weeks in the windowless dungeon putting right what the part timers had inflicted while repairing them 'til they broke them properly.
The biggest pain was visiting the other arcades and spanner monkeys to try and buy back all the spare bits and tools that Uncle Gordon had sold on/allowed others to borrow or steal since I was last there.

BP :dammit:
grains

Post by grains »

chris rideout wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 am
The stripe went out of fashion around 1963. My Progressive Star (August 1963) looks similar to your repainted case. My case also needs a revamp. Don't store slot machines for more than a month in the bathroom!
Do you have any photos of inside and outside of your machine please it would be really helpful. I am wondering if these mechs have a Sega Special Award token payout fitted as standard to pay the 3 x Star Award or would this have been an option?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

My Mad Money has.
Attachments
20191028_134139a.jpg
grains

Post by grains »

Thank you for the photo. Do you have any close up pictures of the mounting position inside the case? Also the mounting of the trip lever on the mechanism. (I think this is mounted near the back of the mech., but I'm not sure exactly what it is secured to).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Not sure about how the gold award mech fits but I think it's the same unit as the Mills (not certain though) and that attaches direct to the casting through two fixed holes and one adjustable bracket.
The activation is through the disc stop arm which already exists on the mech. This attaches to a simple bar that runs through the mech to the award unit. The problem you might have is that each of the payout discs attached to the reels which have the slots all round their edge to lock the reels when the disc stop arm moves across needs a much deeper slot at the gold award position so that the brake arm moves further forward working the award linkage. I have no photo to hand I'm afraid.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

You're lucky Grains, as it's in bits, at the minute.

How actuating arm attaches to reel stop arm
How actuating arm attaches to reel stop arm

The arm in situ
The arm in situ

Gold award unit
Gold award unit

Actuating linkage
Actuating linkage

grains

Post by grains »

special when lit wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:17 pm You're lucky Grains, as it's in bits, at the minute.
Thank you special when lit and coppintr that's really helpful, Here are the photo's for the parts I have.
I will need to check the anti reverse lever has that side mounting tab on the mech I am using.
Also I need to check the payout discs have the deeper groove cut.
Both tokens appear to fit the unit but I think the Sega ones are the correct versions for the Lite Up
Is the hole at the top of the chute elongated to encompass the hole in the base plate for coin payout and the token unit which sits in front of the base plate?
Attachments
GPfIb8Hl.jpg
highfield

Post by highfield »

You could always cut your own slots in the discs. I did when I made my hi top out of scrap parts. Discs are very hard though
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

highfield wrote:Discs are very hard though
Thermal lance would easily cut through them. You can buy small hand held lances that are very efficient.