Peter Simper Pay Rise fruit machine

General vintage slot machine related topics.
runner

Peter Simper Pay Rise fruit machine

Post by runner »

I recently got hold of a vintage fruit machine (early seventies) rescued from a cellar in Accrington. A builder who had bought the building was selling everything in there to clear it out, so nothing known about the machine. It didn't come with a power supply lead. It is a three pin circular fitting. I bought a lead online that looked to fit it but was too small. The old kettle leads appear to be too big!! after asking the seller of one to measure the one he was selling.

The machine looks to be complete inside. Any help appreciated. Manufactured by Peter Simper & co. Hants.
Attachments
DSCF5003.JPG
DSCF5001.JPG
DSCF5000a.jpg
DSCF4998a.jpg
DSCF4999a.jpg
Last edited by runner on Wed May 12, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treefrog

Re: vintage fruit machine

Post by treefrog »

What is odd is that, assuming the pins are earth, N and L, normally the earth pin is different in shape or size, so you don’t accidentally connect incorrectly causing injury or damage. They all look the same. Two makers of period power connectors used by fruit machine companies from ’50s to ’70s were the ranges from Clang and Britmac, usually made of Bakelite, and sizes vary for amp ratings. I had a quick look and could not see one with pins the same size.. so can’t help I am afraid. !PUZZLED!
walternewton

Re: Vintage Pay Rise fruit machine

Post by walternewton »

In picture two, of the electrical connection, you see a little notch at about the six o'clock position.

That keys the correct pins to the correct live lines, ground and two A.C. pins.

You will need to find the proper connector that plugs into the back of the machine, keyed to that notch.

Or look at the other side of the receptacle. It should be evident which pins are ground and which pins are A.C.

Wire in your own 3-lead electrical cord to the proper lines inside the machine, and forgo the plug altogether.

Walt, from Conifer, Colorado.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Wire your new lead into a new block connector behind, through that very thoughtfully placed hole.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I think you may need a Bulgin plug.
brigham

Post by brigham »

That looks like the normal mains connector for fruit machines of this era. It could be Bulgin, but in my catalogue, the notch on the Bulgin type is on the other side!
A very common fitting, nontheless.
I'd say the machine is a Peter Simper. Very complicated, but high quality.

PS) Cash may be available, if you decide to move it on.
runner

Post by runner »

treefrog wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm What is odd is that, assuming the pins are earth, N and L, normally the earth pin is different in shape or size, so you don’t accidentally connect incorrectly causing injury or damage. They all look the same.
Just noticed that the top pin is longer than the other two.
walternewton wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:05 pm In picture two, of the electrical connection, you see a little notch at about the six o'clock position.

Thanks Walt, I hadn't noticed the notch.
brigham wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:46 pm I'd say the machine is a Peter Simper.
Correct, it is a Peter Simper. I'd assumed that the part I was looking at with the Peter Simper label on was the only part manufactured by them, but after further inspection, I have found other labels with the Simper name.
Thanks
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

5 A 3 pin Bulgin
Attachments
Bulgin-5A-3pin_plug-female.jpg
Bulgin-5A-3pin_plug-female.jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Rare machine, they didn't let many escape.
runner

Post by runner »

Many thanks all. After looking up Bulgin connectors, it appears that the old Marshall amps used to use them, so it appears that I may be taking up the electric guitar soon!! any requests?
runner

Post by runner »

moonriver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:15 pm Rare machine, they didn't let many escape.
There may be some appearing for sale on the internet sites soon, as when I went to look in this cellar there were another four or five there. The one I bought seemed to be the best as the back door was locked shut, and also came with the schematics, and another 2 or 3 had already been bought up before I arrived.
coppinpr

Re: Peter Simper Pay Rise fruit machine

Post by coppinpr »

moonriver wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:15 pm Wire your new lead into a new block connector behind, through that very thoughtfully placed hole.
I wouldn't be surprised if the "thoughtfully placed hole" was doing exactly that job when this machine was last in use.