Worn and thin 1d pennies

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
calf28

Worn and thin 1d pennies

Post by calf28 »

I have weeded out my old bunheads and anything that worn, particularly if they are they seem to cause problems especially with the payout mechanism. My advice is avoid these and use nice crisp 1d pieces.
brigham

Re: Worn and thin 1d pennies

Post by brigham »

The number of Victorian-era pennies in the bulk quantities we buy for our hobby, is far and away higher than during everyday circulation in the 1960s.
We used to look out for these 'old-timers', Now, you hardly see anything later than Geo.V.
What happened in between?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well, basically Victoria died in 1901,
Then her son Edward the seventh died 1910 at which point George the fifth stepped up to the mark.

So in essence you're talking about a nine year period.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Yes, I do know my Kings and Queens, thank you.
Can you tell me why the least common coins in everyday circulation during the 1960s are now the most commonly available for bulk purchase?
Or, in other words, what happened to all the EVERYDAY pennies we used to spend in the arcades?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........ they got thin!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

brigham wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:51 pm Yes, I do know my Kings and Queens, thank you.
That's more than I do.
brigham wrote: Can you tell me why the least common coins in everyday circulation during the 1960s are now the most commonly available for bulk purchase?
Or, in other words, what happened to all the EVERYDAY pennies we used to spend in the arcades?
I don't know. I think mine include lots of common ones, 1967 being a favourite. Apparently, after the decision in 1966 to go decimal, many were minted from 1967 up until D-Day, all with that date, to discourage nostalgic hoarders. Not that I know any nostalgic hoarders. !SMILER!
I imagine the rare dates are even rarer in my money bags because I bought most from coin collector/dealers who removed the valuable ones.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The number of Victorian-era pennies in the bulk quantities we buy for our hobby, is far and away higher than during everyday circulation in the 1960s
I think I know what you mean but that sentence is not actually true, I think you mean the % of older coins in bulk packs today is greater than you might have seen in the same number of coins then. Even this would not be true over the whole of the UK in the 60's. the fact is there were always more older pennies than newer ones right to the the end of the pre decimal era.
The 1d coin we use in slots was minted from 1860 to 1967, the "older" pennies you describe would be from 1860 to to 1938 (78 years)the "newer" from 1938 to 1967(29 years), far more pennies were minted in the older era than the newer for two reasons , (1) the coin was a new coin so large numbers were needed in the changeover much like the early decimal coins and (2) the penny had a MUCH greater value in the "older" period, you bought things with a penny rather than just got some in change. It also wore very well,as we know many original pennies were still in circulation at the very end. On the reverse side fewer and fewer pennies were needed in the "newer" period,there were several years in George VI period were none were minted and in fact NONE* were made from 1950 to 1961.(*a small commemorative run was minted for the queens coronation)

Many "bun" pennies were stripped out of circulation in the 60's by people (and companies) who thought they would have a collectible value at a later date,only a very few dates and coins in good condition did turn out to be valuable and the rest ended up back in the mass.
So allowing for the removal of the "bun" pennies and the minting of only about 6 in 1933 the older period consisted of 40 years of large production against 15 years of lower production in the "newer" ear. At the end of the pre decimal coin era there were at least 5 times as many "older" coins than "newer" :cool:
brigham

Post by brigham »

At the end of the 'pre-decimal era', there were far fewer Victorian-era pennies in circulation than later examples. You could usually find a George V in a pocketful of change, but an Edward VII had to be 'looked-for'. Victoria attracted a second glance, as a curiosity.
If I fitted-out a Crompton's Cake Walk with ANY batch of the bulk pennies I've bought in the last five years, it would look MOST unrealistic!
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

brigham wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm If I fitted-out a Crompton's Cake Walk with ANY batch of the bulk pennies I've bought in the last five years, it would look MOST unrealistic!
That's why the penny arcade became the 10p arcade!