Bandit knob restoration

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
tallstory

Bandit knob restoration

Post by tallstory »

I wanted to share a recent success I had with the restoration of a bandit handle knob, in case it is of use to others with the same problem. The knob was badly damaged and, after re-gluing and polishing, it still looked tatty. I decided to try painting it with one of those tiny pots of Revell paint, used for painting plastic models. The results were better than I expected. I'm not sure how it will wear with use but so far so good.
Attachments
Handle knob restoration.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Bandit knob restoration

Post by badpenny »

Looks good, if it doesn't wear too well try coating it in a glass like resin.
So long as you let it cure without touching it and in a dry, warm environment for at least a couple or three days it'll look like it's glass coated and will stay that way.
Out of curiosity, how trificult was it to remove? What did you threaten it with?

BP :cool:
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Nice knob.
I restored a '60s pinball last year, and spent far too long cleaning my balls & polishing my knob.
Attachments
DSCF1246a.jpg
DSCF1241a.jpg
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

BP can you recommend a resin to use? I'd like to give it a try because the knob has a lot of handle-ing :lol:
It was very difficult to remove the roll pin attaching it to the handle. Using a drift punch didn't shift it and I had to drill it out. Three drill blunted in the process because it is a spring steel pin.

Special When Lit you are a naughty rascal! Still the result looks great.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If you're only ever going to use a little then Hobbycraft sell the kind of stuff
https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/advancedse ... ting+resin

If you're going to get into using the stuff try Amazon it works out cheaper per unit the more you buy, obviously. Do practise first though.

BP