New machine (to me)

Tell us a bit about yourself.
coljeep4th

New machine (to me)

Post by coljeep4th »

Hi I have been given an Oliver Whales Allwin Deluxe which I am attempting to restore.
A few machine screws are missing which luckilly a friend who has a lathe is making for me. I have found a great man in Norfolk who has reproduced the top and back flashes and with a lot of elbow grease I have brought the chrome back to almost like new with a bit if wear and tear. I have restained the cabinet light oak and fitted new glass.
I am stuck on one component that is missing though. The top section of coin tube (old penny) is I believe a rather complicated piece of casting with springs and a magnet.
I would love to get an original if anyone has one, or is there a way of replacing this part temporarily until I can find one ?
Attachments
IMG_1316a.jpg
brigham

Re: New machine (to me)

Post by brigham »

The Whales coin entry casting is quite a work of art, but it can be replaced by cut-out tin sheet and spacers made from steel plate.
Plenty of Allwin makers used this technique from new, and it always works.
coljeep4th

Post by coljeep4th »

Thank you, I thought of a tin sheet temporary replacement, I didnt know this was commonly done so I will try to make a simple chute which will do the job.
Thank you again
coljeep4th

Post by coljeep4th »

I should say, the photo is as it was given to me. It is in a hundred or so pieces at the moment but when I get it finished I'll post another photo
brigham

Post by brigham »

Allwins are a good place to start, as far as coin-op gear is concerned.
You can always work out what is supposed to happen, even when it doesn't.