R&W Many Happy Returns Allwin

Tell us a bit about yourself.
thebentpenny

R&W Many Happy Returns Allwin

Post by thebentpenny »

Hello from sunny Herne Bay in Kent,

I have recently stumbled across a R&W Many Happy Returns allwin. It's all very original, untouched condition so does require some restoration work. It is complete, including the original key and does still work and pays out. The cabinet is really nice with just a small amount of work needed. The main issue is the backflash. Does anyone know if replacements are available, or will I have to get one made? Apart from that a little chromework will finish the job nicely.

David
slotalot

Re: R&W Many Happy Returns Allwin

Post by slotalot »

Welcome Dave,
you will find a copy of the backflash here in the resources section. :cool: Ruffler & Walker Many Happy Returns backflash
thebentpenny

Post by thebentpenny »

Andy,

Thank you very much that's fantastic. I can't believe how quick that was! Would I be correct in thinking that this machine is from the early to mid fifties?

David
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Yes, that period would be about right. Most likely to have been made by B.M.Corteen Ltd. badged and distributed by Ruffler and Walker. Corteen was at Croydon at this time, moving to Erith about 1956.
thebentpenny

Post by thebentpenny »

Thank you, that's interesting as I was born in Croydon in 1959. I am not sure how common this machine is compared to the other similar machines that they supplied, 'Whats My Line' and 'Fill Em Up'. I believe the only differences were the backflashes.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The Many Happy Returns is same as What’s my line with column fill. The Hat Trick and Earth Satellite are different. Probably most desirable is Earth Satellite mainly because of theme.

I have Many Happy Returns and was going to change the back flash as had mild shrinkage and a hole near the hammer, common issue, but decided to keep the original. Managed to repair the hole with some similar plastic back filled and tried to hide as much of the damage as possible. Also had some success in removing some of the plastic bulging with a hair dryer and roller and although not totally flat I am happy and it does not look like new.
thebentpenny

Post by thebentpenny »

Hello, regarding the backflash I haven't removed the original one as yet. Do they just put a clear film over the printed background or are they stuck together somehow? In other words, could I just remove the film and replace that?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Probably not I'm afraid. On these the image is bonded to the plastic laminate.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Fill-em-up was different as it paid cigarettes. Print the backflash on printable vinyl then either cover with self adhesive clear vinyl or get it laminated (laminated is better).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yours To Be Won paid cigarettes; Fill 'Em Up is coin pay like Many Happy Returns and What’s My Line. See The Ruffler & Walker Allwin List.