New member from the North

Tell us a bit about yourself.
seasidedan

New member from the North

Post by seasidedan »

Good morning everyone, I am Dan, a long time lover of vintage slot machines, and now I'm delighted to say the proud owner of one!

I grew up in Bridlington, surrounded by the arcades, many of which still had a lot of the vintage allwins and Aristrocrats available to play on. We also had a fantastic museum called Penny Memories which unfortunately closed down a few years since.

After a few years of looking for the right opportunity, I have purchased an Aristrocrat Electronic OXO machine - it is in need of a bit of love and tlc to get it back to its former glory, and I look forward to doing the work.

If anyone has any experience or advice on these machines, I would be very happy to hear it!

Thanks, Dan
treefrog

Re: New member from the North

Post by treefrog »

Welcome Dan,

Any questions I am sure many members will be able to help on.

As a matter of interest, did you buy your machine at Elite Auctions like below? They have been selling a few ex arcade machines recently. The electronic is incorrect and refers to a much later electronic machine. I guess they needed a badge and used one. This would have been a Grosvenor machine if the same one. !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
682D99C4-50D0-4EB6-89C8-2FB8A9C37E83.jpeg
brigham

Post by brigham »

I have an Aristocrat Grosvenor Electronic.
It has a hopper payout that doesn't work properly. There's a printed-circuit board, with loads of discrete components, and an encapsulated coin-counting pickup on the hopper.
I was told by an Australian enthusiast who had worked in arcades since the '60s, that he had 'never seen one work properly'.
It's a console cabinet, and the chrome is lovely.
I'm considering fitting pay-out tubes.
seasidedan

Post by seasidedan »

Hi guys, spot on, its the one from Elite - they are just around the corner from me :)

I did also try to buy the allwin from this weeks auction but the reserve was beyond what I was willing to go to on a first purchase.

The machine is in a reasonably rough state compared to the auction pictures - typical for elite auctions! :oops:

I will be setting it up this evening and hopefully able to get it running as on the first attempt on collection the arm is stuck and the coin slot looks to be jammed - hours of fun ahead!

Interesting to know about the re-badging. If you have any images of what it should look like that would be good. I'd like to restore it as close to original as possible!

thanks
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The OXO is a later modification, common across many models. What it was originally - who knows? There about 6 themes or so it could have been and maybe with a visible jackpot. The door probably came from a Regal or Nevada model with the round window for the rotary escalator.

Of these themes machines, they started with the Nevada, then Regal, then Grosvenor and, lastly, Kingsway, before the cases went square.

Do a search of the site for Grosvenor - you will see many pictures. I have many of them and posted one on YouTube - a Mad Melons version.

Last edited by treefrog on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The company who did the OXO conversion may have been engraved on the red Perspex strip; possibly Beard and Manning.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Wrong video who ever added that, that is a Kingsway.....the Grosvenor is

Odd I have noticed all my videos on YouTube older than 2 years have gone very dark.....they have done something !PUZZLED!
seasidedan

Post by seasidedan »

Thanks guys, very interesting already and appreciate all your input.

After a 30 minute struggle to get the cabinet open (key was inside somehow) I got a look at the issues, of which there are many! The arm was jammed, coin slot jammed, coin drop jammed - sorry if these are the wrong descriptions! After a couple of hours dismantling, cleaning and reassembly I have the arm functioning smoothly, coin slot and drop working nicely.

I'm now down to the reels not spinning and the cash box to the bottom still being inaccessible :dammit:

I do have some concerns that parts are missing from the main workings of the machine if anyone can advise.

I don't suppose you know of anywhere I could buy a manual for these machines, or is that wishful thinking!

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0021a.jpg
IMG_0017a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There are service manuals for Aristocrats, but are basic maintenance. Workshop manuals exist for Mills, Jennings etc from D C Meads, but are expensive and principles are similar on how they work, but not exactly the same. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mills-Slot-Mac ... xy4eJTLl7s

I never did buy a manual and just worked it out or ask questions, a lot cheaper as the manual will get shelved after the first strip down.

Why do you think anything is missing on the machine? It only has two upper fingers for the two slides; would have had lots more on original set up. I can see coin overflow chute is a replacement, common on these...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

seasidedan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:49 aml do have some concerns that parts are missing from the main workings of the machine if anyone can advise.
As Tom says, it's actually unlikely anything is missing. So many parts were removed to create the OXO set up they always look as if they have been decimated. This is due to the somewhat limited (and boring) payouts available on the OXO. That didn't stop them from being very popular, I never understood why. Welcome to the forum.
!THUMBS!
seasidedan

Post by seasidedan »

Thanks guys, after a long and chilly Saturday in the garage I did make some progress with the machine. It's spinning quite nicely, although sometimes the coin drop jams randomly and has to be manually released. I've arranged for the machine to be serviced by Mr Henry Powell and hopefully get her running sweetly.

I'm going to concentrate on the aesthetics - the metalwork is all pretty rough with multiple layers of paint showing its various colours over the years - mixed with rust, the chrome is fairly rusty and pitted, graphics not great, and wooden case in poor condition.

Has any one had any experience with replacing the case?

The electrics also appear to be shot. Would it be bad to remove it all and replace it with modern wiring to LED lighting?

Thanks