Shakespeare says...........

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Shakespeare says...........

Post by gameswat »

Hey guys, was in my garage early this week looking for spare parts and moved a few machines around to better use the space. Spent some time looking at this little treasure and finally decided, enough was enough! It's been patiently awaiting it's turn on the operating table for the last 6 years. Even though I was knee deep in Goalee mechanicals right then I put them aside to give this my full attention. Has to be circa 1890. I also have two smaller and simpler versions that only dispense single cards, these have been converted to future husband and wife. The three will make a nice matched set when done. If you notice the lot number sticker on the glass, that was when it was sold at auction in 1920, along with another handful. They were then found in the late 1980's by a relation of the auction buyer buried in the back of a steel pipe works. They were sold to a museum where I eventually got the three. I saw a few of the others and they all appeared to date from around the 1890 period. This is getting a very sympathetic restoration that's for sure! I think it's a stunning machine. The quote is from Hamlet, slightly altered i think.

Anyway what I need help with is the cards. I have a number of various styles but nothing suitable for this. Obviously i need to make a new lower card as this is a poorly hand drawn replacement. But I'd like to keep the wording because it's quite charming and as is obviously well and truly pre-1920. The door had been remade with some replacement wood so I think it must've been broken into and the artwork damaged. I like to think they copied what was originally there. I'm guessing the cards were probably doubled sided with each side covering a month. These are also a little larger than a normal size card, width doesn't matter but the depth does as the ones i have barely poke out when the handle is fully pulled. If I can find some suitable Horoscope fortunes it will save me the work of making them up. I can just print them out myself to the correct size. Cheers.
Attachments
antique-fortune_1a.jpg
Still a little way to go on the cabinet
Still a little way to go on the cabinet
antique-fortune-back_1a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Shakespeare says...........

Post by gameswat »

Someone in the US just visited the American Pickers Le Claire store and saw the same model fortune machine for sale. Great thing is it shows my original card lettering that had obviously been damaged on mine when someone broke in. The wording was so antiquated I thought it most likely was just copied from the original. I'm going to send them a scan of my upper card and hope they will nicely photograph the lower for me to remake. Priced at $1350 usd apparently.
Attachments
amusement-million-1a.jpg
amusement-million-2a.jpg
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

You are correct; a quick search shows that the quote is both from Hamlet, and slightly altered, the original form being:

There's a Divinity that shapes our ends, rough-hew them how we will.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I wonder is there is anything behind the "Black Jack" gum advertisement? Maybe they would be willing to trade a copy of their instructions for a copy of your header, Gameswat?

J Peterson
American picked over
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

john t peterson wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:09 pm Maybe they would be willing to trade a copy of their instructions for a copy of your header, Gameswat?
Ummm, isn't that what someone else thought.....? :o :burp:
gameswat wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm I'm going to send them a scan of my upper card and hope they will nicely photograph the lower for me to remake.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Doh!

J Peterson
Homer Simpson imitator
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

So look what just turned up in an email from Antique Archaeology! A nice hi-res clear photo for me to work from and remake my own card. I'd totally forgotten about asking them, I did say no rush though.
Attachments
20200513_121547a.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Result!