Buckley Big Cherry / Copper King

Somebody knows... Maybe you?

Buckley Big Cherry / Copper King

Post by Guest »

I have a Buckley Big Cherry. I'm looking for background history plus any pictures as looking to repaint. Can anyone help?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Buckley Big Cherry

Post by badpenny »

In order to positively identify the machine, I suggest you sign up to the forum and post photos. Then we can all "ooh" and "ahh" before pretending to be clever and knowledgeable............

Badpenny
treefrog

Classic Buckley

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Another ebay sale but, although perhaps not the most sought after of machines, there is something really stylish about this Buckley 1D machine. It looks fairly original and in good condition and the top flash is great, with a nice bottom lit up light and great simple text.... Shame though the original stand/coin box is missing, otherwise it would on my wish list.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221049547545? ... 720wt_1185
Attachments
buckley1.jpg
buckley2.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Classic Buckley

Post by coppinpr »

Not one you see often and strangely there is another on ebay at the moment, with the stand, cheap!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/amusment-mach ... 500wt_1413
Attachments
copperking.JPG
wittmannj

Buckley Big Cherry 1 penny slot

Post by wittmannj »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Today I got a Big Cherry 1 penny slot machine. I have other slots that are much newer but none that are mechanical like this one. This machine does work but needs some repair work on the outside. I have looked on the net for this machine but not been successful in locating one to see what they should look like, and also was wondering if I should redo the outside because the wood is peeling in places. I was trying to post a picture of it but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: buckley big cherry 1 penny slot

Post by badpenny »

BuckleyCherry1.jpg

There are several ways of posting a picture. I saved it to my desktop by right clicking it and saving as .....
Then followed the upload attachment directly below the Posting a reply box.
There is a guide here How to Upload Images

The most common external missing part on these Buckley bandits is the payout tray, as with yours. This happens because these machines were made to sit on a stand which had the payout tray set in the top of it. Then for some odd reason they get separated.

Welcome to the forum it's always great to have newcomers, what other machines have you?

BP
wittmannj

Re: Buckley Big Cherry 1 penny slot

Post by wittmannj »

Hows come I can't find any info on these machines? No pics. Are they rare or just not very collectible?
Would like to restore it, but unsure what they are supposed to look like.
Also, what part of the machine spins the wheel? It do not always spin fast, sometimes real slow.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
john
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Buckley Big Cherry 1 penny slot

Post by pennymachines »

Hi John and welcome to the site.
wittmannj wrote:Hows come I can't find any info on these machines? No pics. Are they rare or just not very collectible?
I suspect the answer's a bit of both - rare but not exceptionally collectible.
The International Arcade Museum's Big Cherry entry doesn't tell you much you don't already know.

I've merged some old posts above which show versions of your machine with a topflash and suggest its proper name may be Copper King.
As BP says, it seems this model was designed to be built into an integral stand.
wittmannj

Re: Buckley Big Cherry / Copper King

Post by wittmannj »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm missing the front piece.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Also, what part of the machine spins the wheel? It do not always spin fast, sometimes real slow.
The slow moving reels may well be just that it's dirty. Clean all the old grease off and lightly oil the parts not involved with the coins and see what that does.
Photos of the mech please and we can help.
wittmannj

Post by wittmannj »

Here is the machine pic:
IMAG1314.jpg

IMAG1313.jpg

IMAG1298.jpg

Here is an empty box. Going to start to refinish. Adding new wood:
IMAG1309.jpg

On the third pic that is the one showing the front. There is a little round tray with a butterfly nut on top that holds something - looks like tokens or coins. What is that used for?

Just a hit in the dark, would anybody be selling one of these front pieces?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, that looks like a token vendor, although I am unclear for what, as the award card does not indicate what win would get a token. The front piece may be tricky, although a really rough machine may come up, unless someone here has one.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Eight years later...
...I've come up with a pair of Big Cherries (!), both with the floor-standing cash box/payout tray.
They are both on Old Penny, but one of them still has the 8-10-12 payout of the original Copper King.
Which to me suggests a possible de-upgrade, back to Copper King format.
Does anyone have a decent scan of the Copper King glass, good enough for a professional artist to re-create it?