Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotalot

Re: Re-Chrome

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D , I have done my own nickel plating of small parts for some years now. It is quite easy to do as long as it is done correctly. I did an article on the subject for the Mechanical Memories Magazine back in November 2009. Maybe Jerry could reprint it if anyone is interested. :!?!:
marktol

Re: Re-Chrome

Post by marktol »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone ever tried one of the chroming kits? Ive just emailed a place to enquire about getting the top part of the handle for my Mills Black Cherry done and for something 6 inch by 2 inch by 2 inch they want £65 + Vat, Shipping and insurance. That nearly buys the whole kit....!

Appreciate anyones thoughts or recommendations on the best kit to go for etc?

Mark
marktol

Chrome Spray paint

Post by marktol »

Topic merged - site admin.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using Chrome Spray paint as an alternative to re-chroming metal work? Having done a little reasurch proper re-chroming is hideously expensive and for a fraction of the cost you can get Chrome effect spray paints. I also get the feeling the home DIY chrome kits are complicated and difficult to get a decent finish from. A quick google comes up with something like:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001W03PMC/r ... B001W03PMC

What prompted my initial investigation was a quote of £50 to re-chrome the top part of my dagger handle on a Mills machine. I've got my eye out for one of the Sega machines, a Mad Money, or something like that, which has a large amount of chrome work and from what I've seen of the ones that have sold recently most the chrome work is normally pitted or rusted so wonder if this would also be an option for the restoration of something like that.

I realise the finish may not be as durable but, for the occasional use in my spare room, wondering if it may be adequate?

Cheers,
Mark
treefrog

Re: Chrome Spray paint

Post by treefrog »

I think answer was no, not shiny and not hard wearing, but you will probably be linked to a very long thread on chrome. Enjoy...

(Linked above - site admin.)
polaris

chrome plating

Post by polaris »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I got couple of Jennings machines and was looking to have the top castings and back hoods re-plated. Can anyone recommend any good companies? I have had this done in the past by a company in Yorkshire, but was not overly impressed with the job.
widget2k4

Re: chrome plating

Post by widget2k4 »

Will watch this thread with interest as I am also thinking of getting my jennings chromed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

A very problematic machine to chrome.
There have been a few threads on here relating to sorry stories resulting from trying to.
I've done a brief search and come up with This lot

BP
martin

Post by martin »

I bought a nickel plating kit off e-bay and did it myself. The result was good, not shiny, but more in keeping with the age of the machine. It's easy to do small pieces (and cheap).
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Hello Martin.

It would be interesting to see your results.
If you could post a few pix, that would be great,

GP.
steinslots

Re: Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Post by steinslots »

Talking of chrome plating....
There is a research group at the Uni where I work who have developed a plating material which cleans, polishes, etches and plates a near-chrome finish in one process! They are using a new chemical technology called "ionic liquid" which differ from conventional synthetic chemistry, and also doesn't cause much harm to people or the environment.

It's early stages at the moment and there are a few drawbacks: The finish is "near" chrome - probably close to 1000 micron finish. Certain materials plate better than others. Oh, and it smells of fish!
But they are constantly improving the technique. They reckon they can gold-plate one of my harmonicas so I'll keep you informed about this technology.

Here's their web page: http://www.scionix.co.uk/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=78
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Mr Steinslots! Nice to see you back. !!COOEE!!

That process sounds very interesting. I wonder whether it will lend itself to the home plater?

I had a go this summer working with a replica chrome kit and, like Martin, found the results pleasing and cost-effective (after some practice). I may get around to describing my experience in detail at some stage.

However, I don't think it would be practical for large items like Jennings cabinet castings. They would require too much current and electrolyte. Although it resembles chrome quite closely, it's actually nickel-cobalt. The cobalt imparts hardness, corrosion-resistance and a colder look than nickel alone. Nevertheless, it has a slightly warmer tone than chrome. It requires fairly meticulous, systematic attention to detail and is potentially a bit hazardous. Not for the faint-hearted, perhaps.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now this is encouraging news Carl, and I'm sure we're all very interested to hear more.

Just one teeny weeny question my friend. having taken on board your statement as follows .....
steinslots wrote:.............. and also doesn't cause much harm to people or the environment.

Please confirm if you will that the following photo is in fact you .........

Uncle Stein.jpg

steinslots

Post by steinslots »

Back in 1998 I used to work with a guy who, despite his age used to go out clubbing at these strange cyber-punk events.
One dark Halloween he challenged me to go out with him and a lady to a club which was hosting a "zombie fest" event and that I had to go in fancy dress. All I could think of was that voodoo guy from the James bond film "Never Say Die".
So I wore the dodgiest leather coat I could find, er.. an all-in-one Lycra glow-in-the-dark skeleton suit, some "Mighty Boosch" make-up and a funeral hat (don't ask).

It was actually a good night until I needed to spend a penny...................the rest is quite funny....
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

On one of the Facebook groups I noticed this new process being put forward as a Chrome replacement “FutureChromes”. Claims not to be paint, but some kind of applied silver application with various protective coats to give the deep colour and reflective effect. Someone appears to be trying it on a bandit, so will see if they share the output. Problem is it is still not cheap. Home user kits start at $500+ and pro kits are serious money.

https://www.futurechrome.com/

Also I never saw any update on this long thread on some of the electro plate home kits....did anyone try as I must revisit this for small parts..
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

Jenollte made a clear liquid rust remover in my teenage days but that has not been seen for many years. It's probably become "dangerous" like creosote and a few other products. They might still stock a pink gel but I really want a potion that turns rust into a silver appearance. Who can help on this?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

chris rideout wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm I really want a potion that turns rust into a silver appearance. Who can help on this?
Hydrochloric acid is what I use most of the time on bad rust. Cheap and does the job quickly. Then after washing the parts clean with water use a rust convertor to stop any instant rust and they will shine like bright steel. Of course it depends how badly pitted the surface is as whether you need to refinish in any way. Goes without saying that should be done outside.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:48 pm Also I never saw any update on this long thread on some of the electro plate home kits....did anyone try as I must revisit this for small parts..
I had success with this, but it's quite a process - on a par with home photographic developing, which many of us tried in the pre-digital age. In other words, a bit messy and requires meticulous attention to detail. You need space to set it all up, and I found the kitchen table was not a popular choice. My kit included a primitive means of controlling the current from a car battery, but really you need a benchtop power supply with provision to vary the current independently of voltage.
pauljt71

Re-chromed shiny bits

Post by pauljt71 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Finally bit the bullet and sent a couple of bits to the Platers. Very pleased with the results, nickel then chrome plated.

Received back today and fitted to the Mills and Payramid, just got the red paint to drop on now 😀
Attachments
C41056D0-D2C0-431C-9ABE-EC737E07458E.jpeg
D671BA3C-3918-463F-9394-15CF30FCA3D0.jpeg
F1AE01C8-727F-4524-BDD4-AB8B5131EDE8.jpeg
treefrog

Re: Re-chromed shiny bits

Post by treefrog »

Very swanky, !!THUMBSX2!! Which platers did you use, always good to get recommendations and were they pricey !!RAYOF!!
pauljt71

Re: Re-chromed shiny bits

Post by pauljt71 »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:36 pm Very swanky, !!THUMBSX2!! Which platers did you use, always good to get recommendations and were they pricey !!RAYOF!!
Great quality. But you get what you pay for........£174 for the three pieces. Lead time 3 weeks.

http://derbyplating.co.uk/