To repaint my Sega Bell or leave original?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: To repaint my Sega Bell or leave original?

Post by coppinpr »

timosix wrote: Mr Slot in the USA looks like he has everything but did I read on here that you have to make sure order isn't over £15 or you have to pay import tax?
It's just your luck really. I'm tempting fate, but I've never been charged any tax on orders from Dave and I've spent a couple of hundred sometimes.

The auction starts at 10.30 I believe and actually appears never to end, time you've paid, had a coffee with friends, tried to work out how you can get three High Tops and Joltan the fortune teller into the back of a Mini, had another coffee, dragged all your treasure across the car park, strapped Joltan to the roof and put a High Top in the front seat, given your wife the price of a third class train ticket home and left - it's between 6pm and 7pm. %|%
timosix

Post by timosix »

I have pretty much finished the cabinet. Thanks to Henry for persevering with the new oak base for me, I am really happy with the effect of the beeswax rubbed in, the wood colour matches quite well.

I am still not sure whether to get the metal castings repainted but, if I did, I would want the same matt red crinkle finish.
image-12.jpg

image-13.jpg

Now on to the Mech itself. I have put it in the cabinet to give it a whirl and the reels do spin and it does sometimes pay out. I am really enjoying this, thanks to everyone on here who has helped me along.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

To paint or not to paint? Timosix, here is another - on 1d, hence a Copper Sega, and it's not as shiny as you're making yours but it would be a travesty to repaint and lose all that aged character - you can't fake it so once it's gone, it's gone forever. Bite the bullet now, clean it and enjoy and leave the paint in the cupboard.
Attachments
2013-12-20-21.43a.jpg
marktol

Post by marktol »

Looks great,

I would suggest maybe touching up the black on the Sega logo and the 6D badge and leave the red as it is. I think that might be sufficient for it to look good enough without doing a full respray and preserves most of the originality.

Mark
timosix

Post by timosix »

Jonesthegarage - it's a good point you make. I am just really happy that I have got it back together. It's great to see the machine operate after all these years, although the mechanism is really quite slow now so the mech really needs a helping hand. This is phase 2....

I didn't even know about the Copper Segas. I managed to get the date off mine as 1963, so what year did Sega start manufacturing these machines?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Have you seen This site on old Segas?

BP
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Yes, I've seen that site and another is segaretro.org but no-one seems sure about dating these machines or perhaps what the difference is between types a, b, c, and d.

For instance the picture on your link is identical for type a and for type b.

On Segaretro the type b and type c look the same to me.

Anyone know the differences?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

......... different letters :!?!:
timosix

Post by timosix »

Hi. I have seen that website. I am glad jonesthegarage commented on the lack of difference for the models they list. I couldn't tell the difference either! If anyone has any info could you let us know? Thanks
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure the difference between an A and B, the pictures are the same.....C and D the cabinets look very different...I am guessing 99% we see today are type D. The early one's have the reel window columns, I have never seen one in my 6 years of collecting, has anyone?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote:Not sure the difference between an A and B, the pictures are the same.....C and D the cabinets look very different...I am guessing 99% we see today are type D. The early one's have the reel window columns, I have never seen one in my 6 years of collecting, has anyone?

Not on a Sega, but I have a Mills Hi-top with them.
Mick Harris Snr suggested it was a USA domestic model not normally for export.
It has a 6d denomination button riveted in place, I've often been tempted to see what's under it.
Also the trim around the payout tray is not standard.

BP
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

Unless you are stripping mech be careful using paraffin. I have found it can sometimes react with old grease and it sets like concrete. When I did my KB Discomatics I used gunk applied with a brush, then rinse or wipe off ready for new lube. As for painting, I always do, but that's my preference. Unless it looks pretty good anyway.