Hoopers Automatics

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Hoopers Automatics

Post by pennymachines »

Two more Hoopers games. The Discotelle in painted case sold today at John Goodwins, and the other one at Collector Connector, last June.
Attachments
Hoopers4.jpg
JG-5.jpg
vincent16

Post by vincent16 »

pennymachines wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pmI wonder if the carved top on the above example has been added later to make it look older/more interesting. It just seems too elaborate and antique for Hoopers. It would be interesting to know if there are any marks on top of yours indicating the placement of a pediment.
I bought the one from John Goodwin's and having started to strip the paint off the case, it definitely looks like there was something attached to the top at some point. There are two screw holes and the wood is lighter across the front of the top piece, suggesting some sort of pediment.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

So perhaps the pediment on that example is original. I thought it looked older in style than the game it sits on (which was introduced in 1935, according to Braithwaite). It certainly adds a bit of class.
coppinpr

Have I just bought a bargain?

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I might have just bought one of the best slot machine bargains of my life...looks good to me, but it's not my usual style of machine, so what do the experts think?

I just paid the asking price for this machine, in perfect working order..complete with all the coloured discs,original lock and key , the case looks good, and the overall condition looks great. No top marque,but I'm mot sure they all had one.

the asking price I paid?..... £250 !OMFG!
IMG20230811100621 (1).jpg
IMG20230811100621 (1).jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 533 times

treefrog

Re: Have I just bought a bargain?

Post by treefrog »

Nice 👍 well done very pretty Hooper's machine
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Have I just bought a bargain?

Post by pennymachines »

Looks to be a very nice example. !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I now have the machine at home and it really is in good condition, works perfectly. A few grease marks on the case that were wiped off easily. I'd like the advice of others on the forum on a couple of things.

I might keep the machine but most likely I will sell it. I will remove the glass and clean it, the discs and the backflash (which is interesting in that it's a thick piece of card mounted in the machine in the same way as allwin glasses, simply dropped into a slot from the top). My initial feeling is to leave the rest of the machine exactly as it is. The case still has a good original finish that is still glossy. The base is dirty and could use a re-varnish. Same for the flat top which has the usual dirt and marks you would expect from a flat top. So should I leave or should I re-varnish? or should I just re-varnish the base edge and top?

Also, there is one small area of damage (see photo). For some reason the "1d" coin denominator has been ripped off, taking a slither of the wood from below it. So,
(a) should I fix or should I leave?
(b) where can I get a new denominator?
Attachments
disco 1.jpg
disco 1.jpg (96.74 KiB) Viewed 432 times
disco 2.jpg
disco 2.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 432 times
adskiad

Post by adskiad »

Hi, Coppinpr. I have a Discotelle just like this but mine has lost all its discs! Please can I come & look at yours to get the size, weight & material of the discs to help me replicate a set & bring mine to life once more!