Rolatop Eagle

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
simon1965

Rolatop Eagle

Post by simon1965 »

Hi,

I've just bought my first slot machine at auction on a bit of a whim because I liked the look of it and though it might provide some amusement. Wondering if anyone has any info (i.e history). From what I can tell with a bit of trawling it is a Watling Rol-a-top Eagle reproduction probably from the seventies or eighties. It has an electronic mech, which appears to power up but coins just pass straight through to the output tray so I have some fault finding to do or maybe it just needs a certain weight of coins in the coinbox to run?

Any info appreciated
Thanks
Simon
Attachments
IMG_20150131_161600.jpg
moonriver

Re: Rolatop Eagle

Post by moonriver »

Hi Simon,
There seem to be a lot of these floating around on Ebay and the like, in the main because they are just a modern processor controlled fruit machine built into a new cabinet with reproduction castings. These have no age to them, only a few years, made in the North East and are difficult now to keep running. They were made for the arcade industry as a vintage looking piece with modern electronic running gear, but failed to be good money earners (as a game). They look nice as a decorative prop but thats about it.
If you are desperate to get it going (at a guess) it will need a new board, or a new power supply. Hope you didn't pay much for it.
simon1965

Post by simon1965 »

Thanks Moonriver.

I paid £200, which may be a bit over the top but once running should provide a bit of fun for the kids. It is accepting coins now so I think with a bit more tinkering I can get it going.

Cheers Simon
bod

Post by bod »

I think I recall seeing it for sale on eBay. The problem with electronic machines is when they go wrong you are often stuffed because the failure is inside a chip and therefore difficult to identify without diagnostic equipment. With mechanical machines you can see the spring or lever that isn't performing and persuade it with a large lump hammer. Having said that, you only invested £200. If it had been a mechanical Watling Rol-a-top in good nick it would probably have set you back 4 or 5 grand.
simon1965

Post by simon1965 »

Yes. I did try to move it on and make a few quid before falling foul of the Ebay rules on gaming equipment. Doesn't seem worth the outlay of £25 to get a licence so I'll keep it for tinkering. I am an Electronics Engineer by trade so if I can get hold of a cct diag I stand a fighting chance but if a chip is stuffed then I might be too. Ho hum, we live and learn :-)
Thanks again for the response. I do appreciate it.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

There is another one on ebay currently at £1.00 ,again not working, but with manual and maybe you can get enough spares to make one good one out of two!