Bryans allwin anti-bounce unit identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Question re Allwin mechanism

Post by badpenny »

It's an anti-tilt device. Previous threads about it now merged above - Site Admin.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BP must be having a bad day. The first thing he should have said was his usual "welcome to the best slot forum on the net."

So I'll say it, "welcome to the best slot forum on the net"!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Apologies pschimpf, I wasn't having a bad day, I'd suddenly realised I was running late and should have been well on my way to pick up my new toy 50+ miles away.

Thanks to coppinpr for stepping in. :cool:
pauljt71

Pilwin 56 anti tilt question

Post by pauljt71 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

9C425770-6F13-41DE-BADE-49108A8849EDa.jpg

Hi folks,

I have a Pilwin 56. Looking at the anti tilt mechanism with the ball bearing in it. Is there something missing such as a spring etc? I cannot see what it actually does. Picture attached 😀

If you have one of these could you post a picture so I can check it against mine please.
Attachments
84CBA6E7-4AED-4CC6-B09F-D6633143C0C6a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryans allwin anti tilt device

Post by pennymachines »

I think this device was only used on Bryans one-ball allwins, and not all of those. It's on my Pilwin, not my Gapwin.
Four queries in and we've explained what it's for but not how it does it...

You will notice from the other pictures there is normally a right angle bend on the lower 'finger' of the thin tilting plate (yours has been straightened out). Presumably the idea is that this comes to rest against the payout locking bar below it (when the tilt ball has rolled to the right), thus preventing that bar from being lifted by a ball in the win position.

As a gravity dependent device, it is uncharacteristically finicky for Bryans - it might work if perfectly clean and lubricated. I notice it's held in place by a single wingnut, as if they knew that sooner or later the operator would remove it. Also, I can't work out how it is supposed to reset itself once tilted. Surely the operator didn't have to do it? Is it described in Bryan's adverts? Not mentioned on Melvyn's font of all Bryans wisdom. Strikes me as more of a sales gimmick than a practical feature, wall-mounting being the standard deterrent to tilting. Bryan's fans feel free to tell me I'm tilting at windmills...
Attachments
Bryansanti-tilt.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No Mr P I think you're wrong there.
I've only seen one Bryan's Windmill and I didn't see an anti tilt gizmo on that.
A clockwork motor yes but that was all.

BP SkEpTiCaL
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

If my calculations are correct I'm pretty sure that while you were perusing said Windmill you drank the vintage alcohol contained in the fluid flywheel BP!? !!CHEERS!! !!LOSINGIT!! :sick:
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

Many thanks for the explanation as to how it works. This is exactly what I was trying to find out. With your picture I can see how mine has been bent and altered.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think Pilwins, U Wins and Gapwins are probably the only allwins to incorporate this device, as those are the ones where the player could gain higher payouts by tilting.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:I think Pilwins, U Wins and Gapwins are probably the only allwins to incorporate this device
Also the 10 cup Mr PM
Attachments
10-Cup-mechanisma.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's odd. I'm not sure that tilting a Ten Cup would offer any advantage.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:I'm not sure that tilting a Ten Cup would offer any advantage
I would agree and believe that the actual advantage was to enhance sales appeal over competitors, as I believe his variable pressure unit was as well. His VPU would not in reality eliminate the likelihood of a predictable repeat ball trajectory, but nevertheless great for a sales pitch.

Clever man was WB.
!SMARTY!
JC

Post by JC »

I have a Fivewin with the so-called anti tilt device, and I agree with Arrgee, that this is another feature of Bryans allwins that was next to useless. I think I've said it before on this forum, that Bryans allwins are unnecessarily overly complicated and that much of the design makes them not particularly reliable.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

In the latter years of allwin production I guess there was an incentive for Mr Bryan to put his inventive mind to adding something extra, but I'm not convinced this device reliably blocks a payout when tilted. When tested, the momentum of a winning ball was enough to flip the device back to its un-tilted position. Makes me wonder if Jim Bryan (not William) came up with it. Jim designed the Double Top (at least that's what he told me), the mechanism of which makes extensive use of gravity tilted balance levers.

My personal experience with Bryans games (albeit in a home environment) is that they're significantly more reliable than most. The Gapwin was one of my first and it never jams or misses a beat. Likewise the Payramid. The mechanisms are tolerant and robust, with odd exceptions, like the air pump valve in the Hidden Treasure, which is affected by temperature, humidity etc. These were tried around the same time in the States (equally unsuccessfully) as a silent alternative to the geared air-vane timer (clock). Bryans never used it again.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

JC wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 am I have a Fivewin with the so-called anti tilt device, and I agree with Arrgee, that this is another feature of Bryans allwins that was next to useless. I think I've said it before on this forum, that Bryans allwins are unnecessarily overly complicated and that much of the design makes them not particularly reliable.
:shock:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I have just noticed that an original Bryans leaflet describing the use of the Anti Tilt device has just been posted on Melvyn Wrights Bryan's website. Thanks to John Cottrell who shared this. It is referred to as Anti-Bounce Modification.

http://www.melright.com/bryans/flyers.htm
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's interesting and makes more sense now. So it's to prevent cheats from obtaining "free" payouts by delivering a sharp blow to the front panel.
Can anyone confirm how well it works?
john t peterson

Re: Bryans allwin anti-bounce device identified

Post by john t peterson »

BadPenny,

Would you please go over to Mr. PennyMachines's castle and bang on the front of one of his Bryans machines for us?

Thank you.

J Peterson
Banger challenged, USA
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

No need to rush BP. I have just disabled the device on my elevenses and done plenty of banging on the front both whilst on and off the wall, tilting the machine too. No free payouts for me. :cry: When in situ the unit has the correct operation but it seems like it was ten bob's worth of nothing.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now I'm confuddled ..... do I, or don't I?
BP :!?!: