BMCo 24 Cup identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

BMCo 24 Cup identified

Post by widget2k4 »

I came across this allwin and can't seem to find out any information on it.
The cups are similar if not identical to a Wonders Honest Joe style but I know it's not a Wonders.
Any ideas please?
Attachments
2015-12-13 12.53.36.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: allwin identification please

Post by pennymachines »

British Manufacturing Company Twenty Four Cup circa 1930s. The pediment is unusual on such a large allwin.
widget2k4

Re: Allwin identification please

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks dave :)
maybe been fitted at a later date by someone ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Just a thought Keith, but does it have JHA written on the inside anywhere?
If so I might now something about its history, if not just ignore me.

BP
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I will look inside tomorrow Jeremy and get back to you on that one.
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

I have a machine from the 1920s which has a modern very similar pediment added to it though I think it may have had one orginally. I have seen one or two machines with something similar and I guess it may have been fairly common/popular. Many more here more expert who might shed some light.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Really? ....... I'd suggest it still is. I tend to restore bandits by the way, a different minefield altogether.
JC

Post by JC »

It was indeed common to find pediments on machines up to the 1930s, and in some cases into the 40s - it was perhaps even the norm. But I think the point PM was making is that it is unusual to find pediments on a large machine such as this - it's certainly the first I have seen.
speedwell

Post by speedwell »

Ah yes. I take that point. What I was trying to say was that I wondered if perhaps a number of modern restorers were adding pediments when none first existed to 'enhance' ( in their view ) although in many cases just replacing broken or missing original pediments.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've never seen anybody reproduce a carved pediment/marquee yet, save for myself recently on the J&M Soccer I restored. Because the work involved would normally far outweigh any financial gain! But I have seen maybe a dozen wall machines with old pediments added to them, usually from furniture so not quite a match. Some of those machines did once originally have a pediment of some kind which is why the owners did that. I think quite a few were added after production by operators and owners to spruce up and modernise older machines though.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

no jha jeremy but possibly jhb ?
2015-12-18 08.54.47.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Coincidence I reckon .... spooky though.
Perhaps I should practice more and start doing The Lottery again.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Gameswat wrote:I've never seen anybody reproduce a carved pediment/marquee yet, save for myself recently on the J&M Soccer I restored.
I've had a couple of replacement pediments made (but can't claim to have carved them myself) and also replaced some missing BMCo mirror marquees. Of course those are the classic top signs on these machines. Although the carving on this 24 Cup looks period, in my opinion it doesn't quite match the sharp, slightly modernist aesthetic of the BMCo allwin.
gameswat

Re: BMCo 24 Cup identified

Post by gameswat »

PM, were the pediments you had made for something more interesting than a standard Allwin? And were they complicated and costly? I've made a number of pediments but usually they are pretty easy in the stock Clown style or the like. I was lucky when restoring a BMCO allwin and I found the correct original wood frame on UK ebay very cheap. Sometimes wonder what you guys are doing over there!? Sitting at home darning your pockets even shorter I imagine??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: BMCo 24 Cup identified

Post by pennymachines »

I've also managed to locate the odd BMCo marquee frame and just had to make up the shot-blasted/painted mirror. Harder to find are the correct supporting brackets, but they turn up once in a while. I've cut out a few 'silhouette' tops (Clown, Running Hare etc.) but years ago I found an old wood carver living deep in the forest, who whittled me some nice Bussoz fruitwood pediments. He did an excellent job and they weren't expensive. Sadly, the next time I approached him he was too ill to work, due to the occupational hazard of breathing wood-dust.
I made up the forest bit.