Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: I hope someone can help

Postby coppinpr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:45 pm

You may be right, but are you sure the bits were chrome and not black that has oxidised?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:09 pm

Great photos - well done! !THUMBS!
As there's quite a lot of work here, can I suggest whoever fancies taking this on makes themselves known first, to avoid duplicated effort. Also, if using Photoshop, it would be sensible to save the file in PSD format during the process, so it could be worked on collaboratively if necessary, without loss of quality. The only solution I can think of for the "chrome" or mirror parts of the graphics would be to leave them white (to print as transparent on the decal) and then cut out and apply the shapes in mirror plastic behind the decal, with a small overlap hidden by the print outline on the decal.

The chrome was expensive, but it does look spot on. Together with the stove enamelling and restored graphics, your machine could be the sharpest Bell-Fruit bandit on the planet!

madmickshere

Postby madmickshere » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:07 pm

coppinpr wrote:...are you sure the bits were chrome and not black that has oxidised?
Yes, they definitely look like chrome as the black areas look different both on the front and rear.

madmickshere

Postby madmickshere » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:12 pm

pennymachines wrote:The only solution I can think of for the "chrome" or mirror parts of the graphics would be to leave them white (to print as transparent on the decal) and then cut out and apply the shapes in mirror plastic behind the decal, with a small overlap hidden by the print outline on the decal.
That sounds clever to me, the plastic mirror idea, as for the sharpest Bell-Fruit on the planet, I'll tell the Mrs that maybe it'll get me some brownie points!

gameswat

Re: Bell Fruit Three Penny Supreme

Postby gameswat » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:19 pm

pennymachines wrote:The only solution I can think of for the "chrome" or mirror parts...
So are you suggesting scratching off the unused mirror plating so the plastic will be transparent to let light through to the rest of the artwork? I can't see a lower light tube but surely there's enough light cast down from the upper one to light the lower panel?

madmickshere

Postby madmickshere » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:25 pm

Gameswat wrote:I can't see a lower light tube but surely there's enough light cast down from the upper one to light the lower panel?
There are two light tubes, though not fitted back on the machine yet. The chrome mirror plastic idea is to be seen through the new decal through to the outside / front of the glass to replace the areas where the detailing has now gone black and was originally chrome finish.

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:13 pm

I've done a few pinball backglasses, that were like that.
You need to spray it withh a clear lacquer, (Wilco's do a good one). It won't mater about the oil, unless it's really thick.
Spray a couple of coats from about 12" away, then carefully press the flakey bits down onto the tacky paint.
When the lacquer had dried, you can overpaint it from behind, using acrylic. you can check colour matches by painting on the front, as it will wipe straight off.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:03 pm

I've made a start on the top glass. Still a way to go and others might be better than me at this.
bell-top-glass-2s.jpg
bell-top-glass-2s.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 1785 times
I can try and do what ever you like BUT are you absolutely sure the stars and shamrocks are chrome? When I blow the sections up super large in Photoshop they are clearly black, degrading to chrome/grey in places. The two bottom stars on the square glass are solid black !PUZZLED! Let me know what to try.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:22 pm

I have to ask, what is the other machine in your photo?
The one that looks like a gas meter mounted on a sewing machine treadle with a hat stretcher on the top.

If it turns out to be a gas meter mounted on a sewing machine treadle with a hat stretcher on the top, I shall immediately award myself ten points and have an early night.

madmickshere

Postby madmickshere » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:29 pm

coppinpr wrote:Ive made a start on the top glass...
That's looking great. I've gone and looked again and taken another photo and you can clearly see (though not so much on this image) my fingers and the lens of camera reflecting in the chrome. However, as you said, I do now believe the bottom 2 stars are black, also the red is a brighter red. Sorry to be a pain but it is looking good.