Shields Tuck Shop, Jamieson Shoot! & Threes! pinballs

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
mei-mei

Re: Shields Tuck Shop, Jamieson Shoot! & Threes! pinballs

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, I am just taking measurements for the legs etc. for this machine and I am wondering if this should have a board across the base. Mine only has a piece of hardboard over the cash section leaving the centre part where all the wiring is located, open to the elements. You guys that have this machine, do yours have a base board, and if so, does it have a few holes to keep air circulating around the wires? Thanks Mei-mei
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

My Bingo is exactly the same - hardboard over the cash section, the rest open. I think this was standard, although I'm minded to put in some ply for safety. They're a bit awkward without legs but that seems to be the design. The main attraction is the chance to win some Polos and watch them roll down towards you from the backbox. The Bingo offers slightly more game play - three shots for a penny and you have to make a diagonal, vertical or horizontal line.
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Helpful thank you. I am going to put in the base board to protect the wiring and include a few holes for air circulation. I have made a start on the legs in the style of the older machines and they are looking good so far. I found a company who make triangular fixing plates to place between the cut in section of the leg and the base board. This should help to stabilize the legs and prevent them from spreading.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

They were never meant to have legs, for one thing they are very light machines and needed to be fixed down to a table to stop punters from lifting the machines and cheating or getting at the cashbox. They would have been set up as shown in the photo.
As to the poor game play?? When these machines were made 5 years of sweet rationing had just ended after WW2 - the thought of winning a packet of sweets for a penny was too good to be true. !!YIPPEE!!
The same can be said for the sweetie allwins.
Attachments
tuckshop.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

mei-mei wrote:....my granddaughter, who after playing with the machine once, is no longer interested in it
I remember playing these machines at the seaside back in the 1950s - I loved them, and to actually get a packet of sweets was so exciting. How times have moved on. :!?!:
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Hi, firstly slotalot, I fully understand the no legs scenario, but practically I have no table space to put it on so need legs or it will just sit on the floor - a dangerous place to be when the wheelchair is in the same room. And Argee, the kids of today do not appreciate what their elders went though after the war and are more interested in computers and Ipads etc. Plus Polos do not cut the mustard compared to the sweet temptations of the chocolate goodies available to day. :(

Thinking about what you said yesterday, do you know if this is a 1940s - '45 machine? I thought it was later around 1960s. Mei
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Slotalot wrote:They would have been set up as shown in the photo
Great photo Stuart, I notice that 3 out of the 5 machines show a win. Could they be operator set to show a green light win?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

mei-mei wrote:Thinking about what you said yesterday, do you know if this is a 1940s - '45 machine? I thought it was later around 1960s. Mei
Jamiesons didn't start trading until 1948 and sweets didn't come off ration until 1955, so it is thought that the machines were made between 1955 & 1960 when they started making their own wall machines. I think that by 1960 the novelty of winning sweets was starting to lag a little, as more sweets were available in the shops by then. :cool:
Arrgee wrote:I notice that 3 out of the 5 machines show a win. Could they be operator set to show a green light win?
The electrics are very basic, just a stepper switch and a set of parellel contacts. It would have been easy for operators to add a "come and get me" switch to draw punters in, but it was not fitted as standard. :D
mei-mei

Post by mei-mei »

Thanks slotalot, much clearer. Mei-mei