Sega / Mills mechanism help

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
krisboyd

Sega / Mills mechanism help

Post by krisboyd »

Does anyone know who would service a Mills/ Sega mechanism in Northern Ireland? Any help greatly appreciated.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Sega / Mills mechanism help

Post by badpenny »

Welcome to the site .....

I don't know the answer to your direct question, but many of us know the answer to your problems if you want to tackle it yourself.
Tell us what symptoms you're experiencing and show us photos from all sides, all angles, all girlfriends and we'll study them with interest ...... well I shall anyway.

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

welcome to the best slot site in the world...bar none!

As BP says we CAN fix your slot machine problems and tell you how to service the machine which is easy.. If your up to doing the work and can describe the problems and show us photos we will fix it,its what we do on this site :cool:
ls14garlo

Post by ls14garlo »

!SMARTY! Yes Kris, as BP and Coppin say, you will be able to do it all yourself and don't need to be put off by how complicated it all seems...Just make sure you get plenty of pictures for your reference and others to help you out. I got my first machine, the Sega Bonanza Star a couple of years ago that was looking very sorry for itself and everyone helped me no end, nothing too much trouble ( just make sure you do exactly what you're advised !!ESCAPE!! or you'll just get frustrated before you realise you missed a tiny point!!). It's now sitting proud in our living room keeping young and old happy! !!YABBADABBA!! . I had the confidence as well to buy two more machines for a bargain that I turned round for more than triple my money.... Have fun with your machine and don't be scared to ask, even if you think you might look daft!! :oops: !!THUMBSX2!!
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Thanks for your replies.

1506263141748a.jpg

In the first picture where does the spring go (looked everywhere just can't seem to tell it was connected to the slides on the bottom seemed wrong).
In the second picture the machine end up this way with the push thing the wrong way round. The two things might be connected, just don't know.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
1506263044643a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Would really help to see a photo of the machine so we know what we are dealing with here. Your photos hint that this is a late model and partly electric. Can't see for sure but the mech looks to have been converted (by the factory) to use a solenoid based connection between the coin entry and the ability to pull the handle. Thus the coin fires the solenoid into a position that allows the dog & anvil to line up so when you pull the handle the machine cycles.
So are you saying the machine will not work at all? i.e. when you put a coin in nothing happens?

The small part you show is hard to ID from that angle but is not a standard part for an all mechanical machine (I think from what I can see) to MIGHT be a roller arm that clicks on the solenoid to set up the above.

So, we need to see more photos of the machine (inc. one of the full machine) and photos of as much of the machine mech as possible inc. the area you photoed earlier in all its working positions. We need to know what it's not doing and when. If it is electro-mechanical we need to know what happens (if anything) when you put a coin in the machine.

That will do for a start, at least we are off and running, if it is an electro-mech we will get Widget involved, he's an expert on that type, also treefrog will have several of these (no matter what machine it is :lol: ) so will be able to check out what's missing. If we ask him nicely and he can find them.
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

The machine does fire up but only once before you have to move that slanted thing back down. It seems very violent. The other part is from behind the coin chute. It connects to the payout disks. I just don't know were the spring is actually meant to go. The machine is a Sega Monaco and has an electric part in that it pays out a special award when lit, but that's as far as it goes.
Attachments
1506333214908a.jpg
1506333197886a.jpg
1506333047174a.jpg
1506333029849a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

OK, pics clearer now, so not an electromechanical and the odd part is a standard mechanical part although we will need someone to ID it as I hven't had one of these for years.
In the photo below part A is the dog and part T is the anvil. When the machine is at rest waiting for the next coin A should have dropped below T at the end of the previous game but can't come into T again until a coin releases the handle. There are several reasons why this doesn't seem to have happened.
In the photo is the handle as far back as it can go? Does it seem the dog could fall below if encouraged? What do you have to do to make it drop? Are all these parts stiff with old grease?
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

I have to take part A off and put it below part T which gets it to work (which is why there's no split pin on). I'm guessing that part T needs adjusting but unsure in case there's something else I should be looking at. Other than this everything seems to go back in place.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

OK, it's looking very much like "T" needs adjusting, but touch nothing yet as this is a very tricky adjustment that effects the timing of the whole machine and is attempted as a last resort (it's not rocket science but you have to do it with careful instructions if you're new to it). I'm hoping others will take a look and I've asked BP to take a look at this post later today to see if all concur before we make any decisions. We are making progress. !THUMBS!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

The part in the picture is the reel kicker and is very badly worn and will probably not work. The spring attaches to the back at the same place the payout slides attach to.

Looks like the dog n cog has been adjusted to try and make the worn kicker work. It will need to be moved back a bit and the kicker will need to be repaired / replaced for it to work.
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Anyone any ideas where I could get a reel kick ( part number 3f-8398) with springs from. The springs on my part seem homemade.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just shows what can happen when a photo has nothing to gauge the size from. I totally misread the photo of the part,I though it much smaller than a kicker. :lol: Trust me to screw it up. :cool:

If no one has one you could get it repaired if you have to. It's just the face that does the kick that's worn out.
krisboyd

Post by krisboyd »

Just like to say a big thank you to Widget2k4 and coppinpr for pointing me in the right direction as I didn't have a clue.
Thanks again much appreciated.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

No problem. If you can't manage to find one, take it to a steel worker or blacksmith and they should be able to repair it for a couple of beer tokens.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Let us know once the kicker is repaired. I suspect there will have been a few adjustments made to try and counter the dodgy kicker that will need to be undone. :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

coppinpr wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm I'm hoping others will take a look and I've asked BP to take a look at this post later today to see if all concur before we make any decisions. We are making progress. !THUMBS!
Don't ask me! !PUZZLED!
So far as I can see you've all covered it.

Just repeating ......
You need to adjust the Dog and Anvil so they just pass each other on the return and then see if the kicker engages. Obviously the spring goes to the front of the machine, as it pulls the kicker forward when released.
Get that far and report back is my advice.
:cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

BP
You had me confused for a minute there?
I actually thought you said the spring goes to the front for the kicker?

Unless your reels spin backwards? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes Keith, yes I did.
Which is also why I said Don't ask me! ...... I'm 63 you know?

I've only had around 60+ of these machines since I started, and can't remember ever having to redress the face of the kickers any more than 20 times. I do remember being totally stuffed by one around 20 years ago until someone pointed out to me the kicker was totally wrong for that machine. I can't remember if they all went front to back or back to back, I am sure they never went sideways though. |/XX\|

Goodnight
zzzzz

can I have muffins for breakfast?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Be warned, not all kickers are the same, there are variances.....also for that type of wear, unless and seriously heavily used machine, likely there was an adjustment issue with timing causing drag on the discs