Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotalot

Re: Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Post by slotalot »

badpenny wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm Isn't Uncle Stuart good?
I really miss him.

BP :#:
I miss you too... :oops:
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Oh Ok,i thought my existing motor was the original one ?Looks like it has been in there since the 1960s !!
I still think its faulty as the slightest pressure stops it with ease and it reverses itself.
I will look at the one you mentioned but would have either mount it through its existing gearbox or directly which would mean a very slow RPM speed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That Crouzet motor doesn't look as substantial as any I've seen even in the smallest pusher.
There's a photo on here of the typical Parvalux Click Here

BP :cool:
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Yes come to think about it it does look tiny.The guy i bought it from did say the motor was weak,maybe someone swapped it out and then realized it was no good.
I think its time for a stronger one!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 pm I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
I have an Easy Push, but have no idea on rpm, but would of thought 20 would be more normal, so around 3 seconds per rotation. 6 seconds sounds like a very long time and surely would have a very slow movement of the draw, unless geared differently !PUZZLED!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Would it be at all possible for some pics of the motor on the machines you both mentioned ?
RPM is stated on them.
Thanks in advance
deano67

Post by deano67 »

I think its the gearbox that determines the RPM ? My motor spins faster than 20 RPM when you take it out of the gearbox so i guess the gearbox slows down the cycle.Yes 3 seconds per cycle seems about right
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 pm I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
the 392 refers to a type 390 motor fitted to a type 2 gearbox, but the magic word here is "clockwise" it can only run in one direction... the 10 rpm version will give you 1500 grams per centimeter of torque, this should be enough to drive the machine, so the motor on the machine can not be the original one and has been swapped at some time.. :!?!:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

The machine with the motor I mentioned can be viewed on you tube...by 'supershotbattymanbor'....davy jones locker pusher. The rpm is stamped on the motor.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

photo,this does have a gearbox like Deano's.
Attachments
AATONY-(2).ajpg.jpg
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Stuart, just for clarification did you mean Deano's motor has been swapped at some time or the 10rpm one I posted? Also just to get a better understanding of the jargon, I understand what you say about 'synchronous' motors being constant speed, but the synchronous motor on ebay you mention says 'speed reducing'. Your pearls of wisdom please. TF, the Easy Push had a faster motor than the Davy Jones because it pushed back the coins on the edge of the deck - the Davy Jones didn't do this.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure which type the Easy Push is. Mine is attached at the moment as below.

Funnily I have a pile of various motors with gearboxes as below. No idea why I have them and whether they are any use for anything. Look to be all British by makers like Brevel, Carter, Limit and Mycalex.
Attachments
A5145E34-E7A4-4FB5-B053-0966FA342F55a.jpg
855DD763-F17F-480B-856F-F67515559998a.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm Stuart, just for clarification did you mean Deano's motor has been swapped at some time or the 10rpm one I posted? Also just to get a better understanding of the jargon, I understand what you say about 'synchronous' motors being constant speed but the synchronous motor on ebay you mention says 'speed reducing'. Your pearls of wisdom please.
Hi, yes the motor on Deano's machine has been changed at some point, I think the ad on ebay just suffers from a bad Chinese translation - it is in fact a constant speed motor. They do offer a few options of final rpm. :cool:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks Stuart.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm Isn't Uncle Stuart good?
!!THUMBSX2!! **xXx**
brigham

Post by brigham »

I never realised that this machine was by CAM Automatics of Seaham Harbour.
I was the under-bidder, too.
I'd certainly have gone up to £350 if I'd known!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Hi Brigham,
Sorry didn't realize you were the under bidder. I may sell it on yet once its working correctly. Can you give me more info about Cam automatics, and does it make the machine a bit more special etc.
Thanks.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It makes the machine interesting to me. CAM Automatics (and MAC, before them) were based at Seaham Harbour, which is one of my boyhood haunts.
I've never liked pushers. I think perhaps the principle was a little too basic; but this one was small, early (as pushers go), familiar, and not damaged by the decimalisers, so I thought I'd have a go.
Also it was local for collection. That always helps!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Ah thanks for the info, sounds like the machine has quite a connection to you. Will keep you in mind if I ever sell. Collection would have been best like you say as DPD damaged it in transit and I can't start the resto until the claim goes through! Also waiting on a new motor to arrive so not had a lot of luck so far with it.

Not a good idea having a machine sent by carrier. I am sure many on here would agree but I would recommend using a private carrier through Shipley or Anyvan type service rather than the big companies. To be fair to the sender, it was very well packed but still got knocked about. The claims process is awkward too as it's all up to the sender to chase the claim even though the buyer has to photograph the damage, keep all packaging and not able to touch the item until the claim has gone through!